Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Brembo RCS19 Install Help

21K views 94 replies 24 participants last post by  Doc-Ram 
#1 · (Edited)
I acquired the RCS 19 from Riders Discount and it came lightening quick. The problem I've encountered while installing is the gap that the Brembo provided banjo bolt has. I've attached a picture to help with the explanation process. It seems I cannot tighten down the bolt any more. I have fren turbo brake lines installed. Can anyone suggest a method to fix this? Did I receive the wrong Banjo bolt? Or am I doing this wrong? Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Does the banjo bolt that came with the Fren Tubos not work? If its the same size and thread pitch i would just use the stock one or fren tubo one. And you should only need 3 crush washers, it looks like you have 2 stacked together under the the head of the bolt trying to make up the differance.

#6 ·
Somethings not right, Looks like your doing it right. Either its the wrong bolt or it not threaded deep enough. You should never have to stack banjo washers.

#9 · (Edited)
The thread pitch for the aftermarket Brembo M/Cs are 1.0, while OEM is 1.25.

That's odd that your Fren Tubos aren't installing properly. Normally this happens with Galfer and Goodridge lines because their banjos are thinner, in which case you'd have to use their banjo bolt (with proper thread pitch) in order for it to fit properly.

I have Fren Tubo Type 4s on my 09 R1 with a 19RCS and it fit properly, but I have a Ti banjo bolt. Can't remember if the Ti banjo bolt had the same specs as the Brembo bajo bolt though.

After doing some research on the R1 Forum, some members on their doubled up on crush washers. On my 09 R6, I doubled up on washers with the Galfer brake lines. Current set up is: Bajo bolt, two crush washers, left brake line, one crush washer, right brake line, two crush washers, 19RCS M/C. I haven't had any issues with it so far. Wish my bikes were here with me, otherwise I'd post some pics. Mind you went and bought new crush washers prior to install.

Edit: Here's one thread from the R1 Forum - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296084 You can even file down a few threads on the Brembo banjo bolt if need be.

#13 ·
If the Fren Tubo banjo bolt went to your OEM M/C, don't try to use it. The thread pitches are different as I mentioned already.

The reason the Brembo banjo bolt seems too long is because the banjo fittings on your Fren Tubos are narrower than OEM/other makes. Your options are to source a proper fitting banjo bolt with 1.0 thread pitch, file/cut/shave off a few threads on the Brembo banjo bolt, or double up on the crush washers.

I'm running the last option on my R6 now, but not sure how long I'm going to keep it like that. Might shave some threads next brake fluid change... or leave it if it's still holding up.

#16 ·
I did the washer method; I'm not sure if this looks right. Perhaps Im just paranoid? :nocontrol
:lmao I thought the same thing when I did it. Bled the brakes and had no leaks so I took her for a spin and still no leaks.

Thanks for the advice. I stopped immediately when I found out the fren banjo bolt was not going to take!
No problem, would really suck if you were to cross thread your new M/C.

#17 ·
I had the same issue with mine. You might want to change your setup based on this post in my thread...
YES, it does.. however you will need to put an extra crush washer nearest to the "real" bembo master cylinder as the OEM bolt is longer than the "real" one. Do NOT make the mistake of putting the extra crush washer on 1st (at the bolt head) as that will offset the holes for the line fitting and the bolt and the fluid will not flow back into the master cylinder fast enough, dragging the pads, and warping rotors. Yes.. been there. Done that. :(
I ended up just getting the correct sized bolt for it from Galfer.

#21 ·
do NOT put double washers anywhere but right next to the master cylinder!!
I'm telling you, i have been there.. done that. Doubling up washers at the head of the banjo bolt moves the hole of the bolt and the channel of the brake line fitting out of alignment. You can push fluid through the restricted hole with lever pressure, but it WILL NOT return fast enough due to the smaller opening that you created by having washers in the wrong spot.
YOU WILL WARP ROTORS . I/we (i partly blame my mechanic) warped a set of $660 brembo 320mm rotors, another brembo rotor, AND a set of stock OEM yamaha rotors before we realized what had happened.
Yes, the stock banjo bolt is too long for a brembo mc, but put the EXTRA washers near the master cyl.

#22 ·
I see where you're going with it and I did realize putting two washers would move the channel of the banjo up a little, but didn't think it would affect anything as long as fluid would go through. Everything works as advertised, but would rather have no issues in the long run. I've only put around a couple hundred miles (if that) and 3 sessions of a trackday with the washers doubled up.

If you look at the picture the image0r posted, the center of the banjo is where majority of the length is when compared to the banjos, so it would have to be doubled up in between the banjos and on the M/C side. In order to make it work it would require 5 washers total. In this case, even if the extra threads on the end of the banjo were to be shaved off, the banjo channels wouldn't be sitting in the proper position.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have stock rotors now, so it would be a good excuse to buy some aftermarkets ones if they did warp:lmao

I'll heed your warning and will get a proper banjo bolt down the road, but it just makes me wonder how others have doubled up or shaved the extra threads with no issues.

#27 ·
Did anyone notice the brake resevoir hose fits on really easily? The (aftermarket) Brembo hose reservoir input is much smaller in diameter than the stock one I just pulled off. I'm getting a huge leak as a result.... :::FACE PALM::: Off to lowes tomorrow to get a smaller hose.

#38 ·
Justin's Tygon works well on it. I had NO leaks using his stainless hardware he offers for his rear reservoir delete kit for mine. I used the worm clamp at the MC and had no problem.

It's definitely smaller on the MC, but u can clamp it shut just fine. Especially with the flexible Tygon

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.