Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Slow Throttle Response?

15K views 45 replies 5 participants last post by  redisdeadrideblue 
#1 ·
I may have a problem with my R6 that has been bothering me. It is winter now so I don't get to ride to really check it out. Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Problem:
I started my bike up a couple of weeks ago just to rev it up before I pulled the battery for winter charging indoors and noticed some, not a lot, but some hesitation in the revs from idle up to about 6500 and then it would take off. Also in the quick bursts of reving - I know it wasn't good but I didn't let the bike warm up first. I also noticed that after a long rev up to 12K plus RPM the next rev would stutter. I think it is probably the sea foam and octane booster since I didn't measure exactly I just poured in an estimated guess with the fuel. My guess is I'm running too rich with the additives in the fuel but have heard this could be a TPS problem. There isn't a delay from the twist of the throttle to the raise in RPM, just the rate at which the RPMs rise from idle to around 6500 (seems slower). After 6500 the RPMs raise quickly to redline. Maybe it's nothing at all, but it seems off to me. Info below.

Info:
This spring I bought a used 03 R6 with about 17K. I only got about 3k miles on it this summer - sad about that. Over the summer I added a PCIII and did the cheapo exhaust cut mod to the stock can. I tried to find a good map but really nothing is running it right. A group of guys I ride with had our bikes dyno'd (mobile station - tuning not available) I put up 103HP and was running pretty rich especially on the low end. I trimmed the fuel on the low with the manual PCIII buttons and it seemed to perk up the bike a little more. I am still running rich from what I can tell because my can is sooting up at the exit.

I winterized my bike, changed plugs, flushed coolant, bled the brakes, topped off the gas with 92 octane added sea foam and octane booster (my typical winter mix for sitting for a couple of months).

See less See more
#2 ·
Because its an 03 the first two things that come to mind is check the coils and check the TPS. Could also be a battery issue I believe but someone else who knows more than me can comment on that.

Finally get a better PC3 map.

#3 ·
The PCIII map I am running is temporary. I'll be getting a full dyno tune this spring so I'll have a custom map. I read up on cleaning the TPS, seems easy enough to clean and come to think of it, I may have had a little corrosion in one of my coils when I did my plugs not too long ago. Perhaps I'll check that if cleaning the TPS and a new map don't resolve anything.

Thanks for help!

#5 ·
I'm hoping that is all this is. I've heard if you add too much octane booster it more or less makes your fuel run rich rather than just a higher octane. The biggest problem is that it is really getting too cold to even make wrenching on the bike worth while since I can't ride now anyhow. Now this potential problem is just going to bug me until I can look into it again. Damn the winter!

#12 ·
There is a difference in "slower burning" and "incomplete burning". Higher octane fuel actually burns more completely (efficiently) than lower octane ratings. So the term "less flammable" is a bit misleading.
You are correct in saying timing plays a huge factor in getting the most out of your chosen fuel. My point was that High octane fuel is "less flammable" because it is not...actually the opposite.
Savvy?? ;)

#14 ·
:cheers you are correct for sure. I only say less flammable cause it makes much more sense when you read it. But yes, it's truly SLOWER burning, or technically has a higher flash point IIRC.

Ideally the contents of any fuel really shoud be inspected prior to diving into it!

Yes, this sheds as much light as I can understand on the matter. There is a lot to understand and I'm happy to have learned something new for the day.

That being said, do you know the exact octane preferred for the 03 R6? Service manual says premium - which can vary between gas stations (90 - 93 octane).
Generally, that will mean "91 or better"

#13 ·
Yes, this sheds as much light as I can understand on the matter. There is a lot to understand and I'm happy to have learned something new for the day.

That being said, do you know the exact octane preferred for the 03 R6? Service manual says premium - which can vary between gas stations (90 - 93 octane).

#15 ·
Thanks for the lesson. I appreciate your help. Considering the octane booster I dumped in I think it is very likely this could be the cause of stuttering and lagged throttle response. I will probably at least check my min / max TPS values and make sure they check out. Thanks again.

#24 ·
oh, and did you just say Nutec Special 5? I havent heard anyone mention that stuff in years...:laugh Great stuff though. I only used it a couple of times. If I recall correctly, the Special 4 that came before it was some pretty harsh stuff on the fuel systems....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.