Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Winter Overhauls... need stands

2K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Gundamzeppelin 
#1 ·
While doing all my projects over the winter I'm obviously going to need a stand. My question is do I really need a front and a rear stand or can I do the majority of my work with only a rear? Also what brands do you suggest? ...I'm not looking for the ferrari of stands just something inexpensive that will do the job for years to come.

(found someone on here selling a gyt-r stand for $35 + shipping) take it or leave it?

#10 ·
2 years and my mjmotos still work great.

#8 ·
Unfortunatley, the T-rex stands do work, but the head lift part hits the fender. You need to lift the bike to pull it out.

Fork lift sucks cause it gets in the way of the axle and you need to put the grabby part under the rotor bolt extension part of the fork and lift from there. It twists the forks a bit so getting the axle in and out is a nightmare.

The vortex stands weren't bad, but are discontinued now. I have a couple sets. The rear one bent on me when I tipped the bike on it a couple times.

Pitbull is surely the best out there. Nobody can say otherwise! I don't have em, but have the trailer restraint system which is the bees knees by far.

I recently bought a set of woodcraft stands to use in the shop. I sell a LOT of woodcraft so I figured I'd give em a shot. This way I got every single pin for the front for just about any bike. The front WC head lift stand is by FAR the easiest stand to use. The arm is the only one that isn't all up in my brake lines. Not only that, it is effortless to lift the bike. They even have a paper hanging from it with a picture of a girl doing it and then a caption saying how easy the bike goes up!! It also has adjustable height on it so you will always clear the fender, and alway have the tire far enough off the ground for warmers, or to get the bike level if you want to etc.

The rear WC stand is spool or no spool. The spool one isn't adjustable but works on all the bikes somehow (maybe since we have WC spools on all of em to protect the swingarm). The non spooled one I have only tried, but it work VERY well and has nice rubber grips for under the swingarm that really do well.

Redline stands are cheap, get the job done and are the ones that came with my bike. I sold em to Burg and he continues to use them without hassle, but they aren't as sturdy as the others but are SUPER affordable.

With that being said, if you're lookin for new stands, lemme know. Pitbull, or WC, or there's also a handful I can get through the BIG catalog distributors as well.

:cheers

And if anyone says otherwise, they have great patience, but working on the bike on the side stand sucks. I dunno why, but it's so much easier with the bike on both stands and in the air.

I would also defnitely get the head light stand. Ride height adjustments are VERY common once you start changing tires and sizes, etc. Buy and plan for the future, not for today!

#22 ·
Whos psr?

#9 ·
you get what you pay for. pitbull is the stand which all other stands are measured. stick with the best and you will never be disappointed. get the new style front stand that lifts from the steering head and you can remove the forks, too...

s3aturnr

#17 ·
Holds it by the hole inthe lower triple tree

#25 ·
Never heard of them

#28 ·
Bursig stand is nice for sure . Would be great for complete teardowns . Roll it into the corner when done working .
I am looking for an engine stand for doing a rebuild . Like Graves uses . It holds motor at rear , and motor can be taken all the way apart and put back together while suspended on stand .

#31 ·
I like supporting a company local to me who supports road racing so I went with Woodcraft. The front stand as said before is great because it has adjustable height and is very easy to lift. The rear stand has also worked great with my woodcraft swingarm spools.

#32 ·
That is some serious clearance on the front stand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.