Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How-to: Install UniqueMotoLights Mini H1 Projector kit into 2006 - 2012 R6 headlights

135K views 477 replies 85 participants last post by  borka 
#1 · (Edited)
This post contains the instructions on how to install our bkmoto Mini H1 HID projector kit into your 2006 - 2012 Yamaha R6 headlights.

You may use this post as a support forum for installation questions as well, and i will try to answer any questions that may arise.

This install is not difficult at all, just follow these instructions.

I offer professional installation as well, you can send me in your headlight and i will install this kit, add any options you want like angel eyes, dual angle eyes, black out reflectors etc... and will return your headlight to you completely assembled and plug and play.

Professional Installation costs $250 + the cost of the kit from our website with your selected options.. (You mail us your headlight)

For more information about the kit or to purchase yours please see this post:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150382

Our website to order is:
http://www.bkmoto.com

We now sell completely assembled plug and play headlights!
http://www.bkmoto.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=82_86

Full installation videos:

Part 1

Parts 2

See less See more
#303 ·
iv already made that adjustment when i got the lights back from you the second time. do you have pics of the new projectors with an output shot? if those are just as good as these i may have you put those in because i cant stand not having a proper pattern and its the only thing i dislike about the lights, everything else is perfect

#307 ·
Here are the new projectors for the 06/07 R6 bikes, they solve the clearance issue and you will have plenty of room to adjust these properly.
They look the same as our Mini H1's but are not as deep.

Here they are installed:

Here is a quick output shot, this is just one projector!
Its super bright, with a clean cut off line, it turns night into day.
take note of the far away tree line

#306 ·
Thank you for your order.

Any how-to's on the led strip install? Dont want any wires showing.
You simply glue the LED strips like this:

The wires wont be visible, you just tuck them behind the reflectors, on the outer top corner.

#310 ·
haha.. yeah the factory puts on a lot of "extra" bolts/fasteners that are left over when done :sing

#318 ·
if you dont have halos, they go no where, dont connect them to anything, leave them dangling. only use the low beam + to both white wires on relays and high beam + to both blue wires on relays. thats it.

please help folks.
Any1 know where I can get those blue stock R pigtails? (bought the bike and it had HIDs installed, guess the kid threw out the stock wires).
Attached photos.
They are dangling from the back of the headlight. they connect to the stock light bulbs, from the inside of the headlight and the other end comes out from the bottom back of the headlight.

see the white plug on the back?
yours will be blue, in the same place.

man where the hell do u find the stock pigtails on the bike? are they the things that originally connected to the back of the stock bulb? Im so lost doing this.......
see the white plug on the back?
yours will be blue, in the same place.

They are dangling from the back of the headlight. they connect to the stock light bulbs, from the inside of the headlight and the other end comes out from the bottom back of the headlight.

#317 ·
man where the hell do u find the stock pigtails on the bike? are they the things that originally connected to the back of the stock bulb? Im so lost doing this.......

#319 ·
ok so the original plug that is connected to the back of the stock bulb just gets left alone and hangs free after the installation

#320 ·
Did you read the instructions on the first page?

The original black plug that connects to the original light bulbs gets cut off and tossed in the garbage. then you pull out the wires and blue plugs out from the headlight, and you connect all the new wiring to these plugs, as per the instructions on the first page of this post.

You will need to cut off the the H7 plugs from the stock pigtails that connect to the light bulbs and take out the wires from the headlight.

#321 ·
oh shit I do remember reading that yesterday now lol.....sorry I have come back to this after a pretty big drinking day on christmas so started asking questions before a review again

#323 ·
ok Im on track now.......with the pigtail connections on the 'bike side' I have a solid black and black with yellow line on one side, then a solid black and black with green stripe on the other....I take it the solid black on either side is the ground yeah?

also there are a few ground points I have to find with this instillation, would it be ok if I got a piece of black wire, ran all the ground points along it and than just ground that single point to the battery?

#324 ·
ok I worked it out anyway the only other question I have is - u know all the wires coming from the projector for the halos, where do u poke them thru the reflective housing ( the 2 parts you paint black)

do you just stick them thru any of the openings? I dont really want to be able to see them in the headlight when its all installed

#325 ·
Run all the accessory wires out the bottom stock holes, where you pulled out the stock grey wires. This is the cleanest way to do it, and the wires will not be visible when the fairings are installed.

#329 ·
Run all the wires like the picture a few posts above, not like i have in the how-to.
This way is neater, and i will be updating the how-to with this method.

#330 ·
ok sweet as I am almost done with this now :) just have a question in regards to the devil eyes.......I haven't set the low beam up on a toggle switch and so everything comes on when the key is turned......I can only see the outer blue halo and not the red in the center (devil eye) can u usually only see the devil eye color if the toggle switch method is used mate? I was under the impression you could see the red mixed in with the light when they were on

#331 ·
you can only see the demon eyes if the hid's are off. you need to put the hid's on a switch, then you can see the demon eyes. otherwise the hid's completely overpower them.

#333 ·
Those shrouds look awesome in black. Makes me wish I would have painted mine black. Maybe next time around.. In for pics when done

#334 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I figure I'll take a shot on the dark:
For an 05 R6, do you need projectors? And if so, is there a big difference if you install HIDs with out projectors?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#335 ·
If you want both headlights to have low beams and high beams, you need to replace the projectors.

But for a simple way to upgrade the lighting for much brighter headlights, you can use our plug and play hid kits, they replace the bulbs in your headlights with much brighter and nicer color bulbs and are simple to install.

Here is the link to our R6 hid kits:
http://bkmoto.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=72_76

you can also add a quad halo kit, to spice up the look of the bike, but those will require opening the headlight to install the rings inside the headlight.

http://bkmoto.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=81

#337 ·
Thats not a clearance issue, you need to back the 3 adjusters all the way back to make room for the projectors. These projectors are high performance projectors for the best light output, so they are quite large, and the clearance is tight, but they still fit with no issues once you back the adjusters all the way.

when you put the lenses back on, you will need to turn the lower inner adjustment screws out, to pick up the beam and make it level.

#339 ·
Hey guys

Just need some help, I wired everything up like it was shown in the diagram, only problem is my hids won't turn off, the switch doesn't work, I'm running a 10amp wire from the switch, is that enough or could it be something else to why the switch won't shut off the hids?

Thnx
Moody

#340 ·
email me a picture of how you have the switch connected to the low beam + and then to the 2 white wires on the relay harnesses.

The switch should break the circuit between the low beam + and the 2 white wires on the relay harnesses

#343 ·
turn all the adjusters all the way in clockwise, then use the inner lower adjustment bolt to adjust the height. turn it counter clockwise, and the beam will go higher, now while turning it, watch the top of the front halo ring very closely, you dont want the ring to get crushed by the headlight housing at the top corner.

So basically make the lights as high as the front halo ring will let you, this will be pretty much the right height of the beam, going forward with a downward slope.

#344 ·
hey borka where do u usually tuck all the ballasts and inverters? all the extra weight of this wiring on the main front harness losened the dash plug and stranded me at work yesterday lol is there a good place to tuck all this crap you know of?

#345 · (Edited)
here you go:

I dont have a picture for the left side, but On the left side i used the sticky pad and long zipties, and placed the ballast right on top of the rectifier. (the black square thing).

for inverters use quality double sided tape, and stick them them like in my pictures. and after you put the covers back on, you cant see any wires at all. only the 2 wires from the hid bulbs, and thats it. very clean.

You can also use the triangle metal mounting brackets to mount the ballasts to any bolt on the bike, instead of the sticky pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.