Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Race-seat mod

15K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Triple R 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience, or advice, for modifying a stock seat on an 09 R6 to be better shaped for track day/ racing?

Also, who else besides HT Moto sells GOOD (race) seat foam? id like something more then just a simple foam pad... ideally one that that doesnt require the race tail, but has a "race shape". Too bad there is nothing on the market that is the old seat, modified in shape and coating to fit like a race seat.

#2 ·
I think woodcraft makes on, im looking to do the same, stock seat is too slippery

#7 ·
if you bought a superbike tail and get the foam to go with it, that's what most racers use. i never thought that the seat was not shaped right, tho. i've been using the stock seat and doing fine...

s3aturnr

#9 ·
if any of you are racing this will bump you out of SS class.

#10 ·
having the ss tail with the seat foam kicks you out? They always had some odd rules.

#15 ·
WERA,CCS, and CMRA allow SB tails in the SS class. ????? Or is there something I am missing?
No T, I know you're better than this! lol

Saturn mentioned sbk seat. I said it wasn't ss legal.

if you bought a superbike tail and get the foam to go with it, that's what most racers use. i never thought that the seat was not shaped right, tho. i've been using the stock seat and doing fine...

s3aturnr
if any of you are racing this will bump you out of SS class.

#17 ·
SS tail with stock seat or anything replicating stock seat (ie saddlemen) legal in ss

sbk seat with foam, not legal in ss. same as it's always been when you were with jake.

#19 ·
well F. Guess I need to reread the tech rules again.

Are you coming to any AMA rounds to watch Jake next year? Think I saw you at Mid Oh but was busy with the team.

#20 ·
Damnit there it is. Chpt 8 Sec H

h) Exact replica replacement bodywork (this includes the tailsection) may be used on machines equipped with bodywork from the factory. If the stock bodywork includes air-ducting tubes they may be removed. If they are utilized they must be stock or exact replica parts. Solo seat cowlings may be added when not supplied by OEM. If an aftermarket tailsection is used that incorporates a solo seat cowling when one is not offered by the manufacturer, the tailsection must conform to the shape and size of the stock bodywork that is provided by the manufacturer. The solo seat cowling portion of said bodywork must start at the position of the stock bodywork on the rear and rise to no more than 1.5 inches above the seat when measured from the top of the bodywork to the top of the seat on a stock motorcycle. The shape of the bodywork must conform to the shape of the seat (no huge rises in the middle etc.). A “Superbike Seat” is allowed (i.e. the seat is molded into the tailsection). Tinted windscreens are allowed, double bubble type windscreens are not. Windscreens must be the exact same dimensions as stock except for thickness. Windscreens may not be less than 75% the thickness of a stock screen.
Sorry dudes, I'll duck in a corner for a while.

#22 · (Edited)
we will be cheering for Jake in 2013 for sure Tdub. He seems like a one of the "nice guys".

Here is a sharkskinz seat pan and Graves seat foam i just put on for the final FL region CCS round because JOSH HAYES TOLD ME I NEEDED IT :) I really liked it, and am for the life of me, not sure why i didn't put one on 4 years ago.
CCS tech official Gary Mcquiston passed me in tech for hwss, and ccs still gave me my #1 plate :)
Friggin not cheap though, seat pan is $150 (gotta love the sharkskinz contingency program though.. i just paid shipping. THANKS MARY! ) but the seat foam form Graves was $80 each (have 2 of these) . It's nice foam, and precut.. but there may be something out there a tad less expensive. It's FOAM for goodness sakes! LOL
This is not the superbike tail.. that you put foam directly on. this is a ss tail, that you could use the stock seat OR this seat pan seat/foam.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#25 ·
That looks quite nice... Def want to get rid of the stock seat for reasons others have stated. They make these seat pans for diff styles of bodywork? I'm running the Armour Bodies track bodywork... Or would that seat pan work just the same with mine too?

#24 ·
yea.. one of my t-handle allen wrenches is lighter than the other :) LOL.

nope. don't have that, but they sound cool. I take it i can find those on the graves site?

#29 ·
I've taken the stock seat and replaced it with foam from Michaels (arts and crafts store). It retains the shape of a stock seat but compresses when you sit on it. Supposedly a "SBK" seat or a harder seat will let you "feel" the rear end more (as some pro racers will say), I personally did it because I was short! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.