Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Quick turn throttles??

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  BigShepp 
#1 ·
I know other bike brands install the r6 throttle tube to get the 1/6 turn with some slight mods but what does r6 owners do to get a quicker turn to wot? Is stock throttle good enough? Motion pro throttle kits? What do you guys do?

#2 ·
Motion pro if you got the coin, our just make one like I did. If you're interested in how to make one pm me

#5 ·
Is it PVC or zip tie mods?

Be careful if you buy a motion pro. It isn't a bike specific kit, so some serious modifications may be required.

Can u explain? the only bike specific on the motion pro would be the cables as far as I can tell. I've had the motion pro on my previous gixxer and it worked flawlessly but was wondering since the biggest cam it came with is 50 mm, how big of a difference would it be from the stock r6 1/6 housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Be careful if you buy a motion pro. It isn't a bike specific kit, so some serious modifications may be required.

#4 ·
Serious mods? Only thing I could imagine is maybe longer throttle cables but I doubt that to. I have a feeling if it required mods I would have heard about it, but its possible I reckon

#9 ·
I appreciate it but I'm scared a mod like that will malfunction. I was looking at the yoyodyne kits (euro racing) but read some people had issues with fraying cables due to its metal cams. I wanted to use an r6 throttle tube on my 09zx6r but couldn't find anyone online that has experiment with it yet. Just curious if the r6 guys uses other options asides from what have been mentioned

#10 ·
If you have the coin the motion pro is tits for sure. I just did a diy BC im cheap lol

#11 ·
I'll be picking up that Motion Pro here REAL soon. With the ECU flash I found myself having to really work to get my throttle to WOT... I'd have to roll my hand up the throttle while accelerating... Motion Pro is definitely essential!

#14 ·
I'll explain. The MP kits are NOT 100% bike specific. They ask for your make and model to see if you will need the added stop/start switch and to see if your bars are the correct diameter. The bike specific part comes with your cable lengths. These are the bike specific parts.

What is NOT bike specific is the length of the entire kit. With my bike, 05 R6, the length of the required stop start switch and the kit itself is longer than my stock handlebar. Aftermarket heli bars are required, and those aren't bike specific either. Furthermore, the stop/start switch cable length is a good six inches shorter than the stock length on my bike. Additionally, the pin that drops into the handlebar is on a different location for the stock and MP switches.

Most, if not all of the fitment issues stem from the added Stop/start switch. If your bike doesn't require one, then chances are it will be a perfect fit. However if yours is a bike that requires the switch, you had better be prepared for quite a bit of modification.

When I finish my next project I'll be doing a write up on my install of the kit. All in all it's going to run me close to $400 because of all the extra parts I had to buy. I refuse to let the throttle hang over the end of the bar and I refuse to have heli bars that sit above the forks.

#17 ·
Ok so it's more of a space issue you're talking about. On my previous gixxer I did have to purchase the start/stop switch with the MP kit but never had an issue with space on the clipon. But I also had woodcraft clipons & they also make extra long bars as an option. U might want to look into that

No idea how the largest cam relates to the stock throttle, as I have never had a stock throttle on the bike. The bike came with the euroturn already installed. Only thing I did was change cams. It came with the smallest cam installed and I put in the largest cam as the throttle was much too sensitive. With the largest cam in there it works well though. Gives me enough of a turn so that I can be precise, but also makes it comfortable to go wfo without hand adjustment. I'd offer you a chance to try it out, but with a blown motor that makes it kinda hard haha.:rolleyes:
Ouch. Sorry about your motor but at least u have all winter to fix or replace it. So no issues with the er so far eh? I've read in 2 or more instances where people had issues with the er kit. I cant say if it was install error or product error but with the price they're selling them for & those reviews, it kinda scared me from buying it. Might have to stick with motion pro but i really don't have the need for all the extra cams

#16 ·
In 2011 I had 2 brand new R6. Ordered 3 (one for spares) MP Revolver kits for the 2011 R6, received it and bolted it on.
Now I imagine if you go back a few years, you might run into some issues. But in my experience with the new bikes, that is not an issue.

#18 ·
I would imagine with newer bikes you wouldn't need the switch, ad in that case I would expect it to work perfectly.

Yea I bought a pair of aftermarket clip ones, but the 05 R6 has a weird triple tree clip on setup. Any aftermarket set would stick up above the forks. I'm in the process of getting a set that will fit correctly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.