Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Close call, my mint 09 almost fell on the poor excuse Yamaha calls a kickstand

3K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  |/3|\|0|\/| 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok...so since I've purchased the R6, the kickstand has always seemed a bit "flimsy" and sketchy. There is no comparison to a CBR RR kickstand and a Yamaha R6 kickstand. My 08 RR kickstand when kicked down would spring down and stay in that locked position. When you flipped it up, it would snap back up even making a noise you could hear! I loved this. My new R6's kickstand you have to guide it all the way down and even when you do, you have to make sure it is completely forward before letting the bike down. I.e. If you kick it down slowly and stop mid-way, the stand can stay at 30-40-50% down/up and just sit there because it has ZERO tension. Ideally, it should FLIP/SPRING down or back up 100%. No in-between. In the same, when it is fully down, it doesn't really feel like it locks in place and with the slightest nudge back, the kickstand will fold.

Just yesterday I was moving the bike while on the kickstand, being very careful of the kickstand's position. Well when I went to slowly drop it down on the stand, the bike stood for a second then I got a weird feeling and yep, the bike folded and as it fell my adrenaline caught that mofo mid way down and I muscled it back up. It was the closest thing I've had to a drop in 5 years and to be honest, I still don't know how I caught that thing as it was at more than a 50% tip-over angle with a full tank of gas. I guess the gym's paid off:flex:

With this being said, is there any way of doing some type of adjustment to the stand where it can spring down and back up? The way it stands now, it's just a poor design. If there is no way of adjusting, is there an aftermarket, direct replacement OEM length and position kickstand someone can vouch for?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, I noticed the kickstand on my 08 R6 was a lot easier to move up and down, which I prefer. I'm always paranoid about dropping the bike so I always make sure the kick stand is out all the way before setting the bike down. The kick stand on my 07 GSXR 600 was pretty annoying to put down so I didn't like that :laugh

#4 ·
hmmm i think the kick stand is pretty damn good?? lol never had a problem with it and i kickstand turn her daily

#5 ·
Do you guys notice that there is ZERO tension/spring in the stand? As in, you can slowly push it down and half way stop and the stand will just stay there (not snap back or snap down)? Trust me...I'm SUPER anal about making sure that thing is locked down and forward before dropping the bike down. Is there any adjustment that can be made to have the kickstand spring down/up?

#6 ·
if its not past the half way point mine snaps back up it doesnt just stay there...not sure about the adjustment i never did anything to mine so cant help you there

#7 ·
No problem here, mine snaps up/down. I also make sure anyway everytime. A good little kick before I fully drop it.

#8 ·
Mine has tones of tension. If my foot doesn't push it all the way down is snaps back up. Cant say I have any issue with it at all
Just normal kickstand and hot pavement issues. Made a carbon pad to keep in the trunk. Problem solved.

#9 ·
The weight of the bike should ''lock'' it in place...

My 2 cent : Buy a pitbull stand.

#10 ·
Ok then from what it sounds like, my kickstand is not functioning properly (if you guys claim yours snaps back n forth) Possibly there is some grime in the tension/bolt area that dictates the kickstands movement/spring etc...Does anyone know how to disassemble/adjust/clean the area in question? I've never messed with any of my bike's kickstands. Thanks!

#11 ·
It's called a kick stand. Kick that bish down to make sure it is in the down position.

#12 ·
I do mayne! I even keep it pushed forward sometimes with my foot while setting her down! The kickstand just seems to want to fold way to easily.:throwup

#16 ·
Just use a medium bristle brush when you wash the bike and clean the crap out of it. I find that I get sling from my chain on my stand so I clean it with the rest of the bike..The spring can get covered
As per the Yam manual they have this in there for periodical maintenance

"Lubricate the pivoting point and metal to metal moving parts"

Don't worry about removing it. There are wires connected to it. You can clean it just fine attached to the bike.

#18 ·
I do check mine everytime before I set it down, but I think it's pretty sturdy. I don't like the CBR's kickstand though. My friend's feels very flimsy and I get scared everytime I park that bike.

#20 ·
The kickstand is pretty gay. There should be a locking ball joint thing for it to slide past, like the OEM passenger pegs have. Something to hold it in the final "rest position", before it is let down and the bike's weight supports itself. Would let you know it is where it needs to be.

I'm always paranoid about the kickstand now. The second month I owned the thing, I left it at balance point one night on the kickstand by accident. Got out there for a ride the next morning and noticed it. Almost shat a brick when I realized that just a light touch could have made it fall :laugh

#26 ·
The kickstand is pretty gay. There should be a locking ball joint thing for it to slide past, like the OEM passenger pegs have. Something to hold it in the final "rest position", before it is let down and the bike's weight supports itself. Would let you know it is where it needs to be.
EXACTLY!

Glad a few of you notice the same on your bikes. Trust me, the CBR and R6 kickstand are worlds different. I inspected it, and there seems to be no grime in the pivot. The spring is attached and everything is super clean. I think possibly the PO may have tightened it too much for some odd reason? I'll loosen it and re-tighten it up and blast it with some WD40 and see if it changes anything. If not, it is simply a poor design. A "click" locking position like the CBR would be ideal.

QR6- Exactly right

tamuuc2004- Get bent, run along;)

#23 ·
My kickstand is similar to the OP and I know what your talking about with the CBR stand. My buddy has a 1Krr and his stand snaps up and down with force. I have to guide mine up and down, but I'm used to it. Yes the spring works, but doesn't have the tension of the CBR's. I just like knowing it's where it's supposed to be.

#25 ·
im pretty sure there is something your with your guys spring/kickstand lol

#28 ·
Ya that's a good idea...I've been pulling mine back too :cheers Damn kickstand just feels like it wants to fold too easily. Imagine if some fu^*tard hopped on your bike for a photo...? (which happens WAAAY too often) And then set it back down. BOOM.

#30 ·
i just drop it on the sliders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.