Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

New member/rider!

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  MaxxxEdge 
#1 ·
Whats up everyone, i've been trolling the forum for a while now in search of some answers but didnt find my exact ones.

Dont really know TOO much abt bikes as i've always been in the car scene my whole life. proud owner of a acura tsx:toocool: heres a link to my build thread and recent photoshoot if any one is interested
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/tsx-build-threads/59749-another-ssm-tsx-build.html

I'm looking to purchase an R6 06-08 in the new year but have a few questions.
what should i be looking for as in flaws or any defects in these bikes if any?
also how many miles are TOO MANY miles for the years?
Any weird noises i should look for? Price ranges?
any help will be greatly appreciated:)

Looking forward to being a part of this community!

#2 ·
I'm looking to purchase an R6 06-08 in the new year but have a few questions.
what should i be looking for as in flaws or any defects in these bikes if any?
also how many miles are TOO MANY miles for the years?
Any weird noises i should look for? Price ranges?
any help will be greatly appreciated:)

Looking forward to being a part of this community!
you should not get a super sport as your first bike. you will either crash or simply not learn much on it aside from fear. start slow, this isn't a car.

there are TONS of other bikes that are suitable for a new rider. the r6 isn't one of them...

s3aturnr

#4 ·
here's the deal; i come off as a giant asshole when talking about newbies and sport bikes. but, i don't want anything other than to help a new rider make a smart decision. something that i wish someone had done for me.

that said, there's nothing you can say that will convince me that a super sport is a good starter bike for a new rider. nothing.

just for reference, i started on a super sport (98 kawi zx-9r). what did i learn on it? fear. blind fear.

i'm, generally speaking, one of those people that can just figure things out on my own. i'm coordinated, intelligent and used to making split-second decisions. i also came from an auto-racing background. i figured, "how hard could this be?"

all i can say now is that i had no idea. no idea at all what i was getting myself into. all of my intellect and "natural ability" didn't help worth a shit.

it was only after i started getting proper instruction on a closed-course that i even scratched the surface of what there is to learn about riding a sport bike.

now, i look back and think 2 things;

1) why did nobody warn me about starting on such an inappropriate bike?

2) how the hell did i not die on that thing?

i went from, "i got this. i'm young, strong, capable and play sports at a collegiate, semi-pro and professional level. i'm definitely coordinated enough to do this."

to "OMG, i was seriously lucky to get out of that alive."

i really really really want you to, one day, have and ride a super sport bike of your very own. i also really really really want you to be able to do that 20 years down the road.

be safe. make a smart choice. learn. seek advice and assistance from experienced riders. weigh the value of their advice against their experience.

this is what i would have wanted an experienced rider to say to me...

s3aturnr

#7 ·
Most of the members here are going to agree with S3aturnR.

I myself started off on a Ninja 250, and I'm damn glad I did. I wouldn't know how to handle an R6 starting off. With a smaller displacement bike, you really learn and grasp riding, and the bikes are so much more forgiving. You hit a bump and accidentally grip the throttle on a 250 and you're fine. You do that on an R6 and you'll shoot off the bike. You spend more time trying to not get killed instead of mastering the bike and the basics of riding.

#8 ·
Hey buddy,
first and foremost never take advice from a self proclaimed intellect, it's nothing personal but there always seems to be ulterior motives hidden behind mild egotistical text. But starting off I would have to say be ready to respect your 600 more than you have ever respected anything in your life. I too have a few fast cars and played in a couple bcs bowls and there is nothing out there that could have prepared me for how quick these bikes are. I was a complete jackass and rolled 150 my first day ever on a sportbike, had a few mx bikes but nothing like this. It will make you shake for 30 min after riding the first week or so that you own it. If you cant resist the temptation to twist on it you will do nothing but just hold on for the ride lol. I don't know how far you pushed your buddies gsxr but if you crack the 6 up past 12k I promise you your going to shit your pants its awesome for lack of a better word. I deff wouldn't go out and buy your first bike from a dealer or someone who barely rode it and wants premium for it. they're made to be ridden, get one with slightly higher mileage and maybe some rashed up plastics as long as the bike is straight and it runs good. you can pick up used plastics for cheap if you shop around. But you want to find a deal and usually you can find a good first bike that fits the parameters this time of yr for 2500 to 3500. If it's a higher mileage bike make sure all maintenance was done and make sure valves have been checked. I still have my first r6, 2006 just clocked 20k. Kept up on all routine maintnence and had my valves checked twice and it still out runs my buddies 09 r6 with 6k miles and gytr. I have a power commander with factory exhaust map and 520 chain and sprocket swap. I would also deff make sure the bike you buy has good tires on it. if it doesn't buy some and run the proper psi in them. This time of year I take mine down to 30 psi in cincinnati if i have the itch to bundle up and take it out. Thats basically track pressure but it warms them up quicker. Im running dunlop q2s and they wear just fine at 28~30 psi. once there up to temp there about 34~36 psi. But for some of the more obvious tips ride the roads casually to get to know it before you want to rip. watch for gravel especially this time of yr and spring, its everywhere. Deer are bad where I live. If one jumps out in front of you to late to miss it. hit the throttle and hold on lol. Buddy of mine sliced right through the middle of one on his triumph 675 at 55 mph and he didnt go down. it bent some shit mangled his plastics and said it was a rough ride but try not to panic. If you feel like your going to fast in a turn, dont stand the bike up and dont grab for brake, that's the most instinctive and worst thing you can do. ride it out and push that tank down to the pavement. chances are the bikes gotta lot more go in it than you do. Other than that I can think of much more. A 600 is fine to start on as long as you posses the willpower to not be a dumbass but take the time to learn the bike. If you have never ridden a bike at all. buy a 125 or 250 mx bike and ride it all winter. there nothing alike but atleast you wont be trying to learn how to shift and brake when you should really be thinking about how to survive. And if anyone says they grew out of the r6 and need to move on to an r1 there not truly riding the 6. At its full potential it's more bike than you an ever use on the street. But that's about it.

#9 ·
I agree with S3aturnr as well.

My first bike was a 99 GSXR 600 SRAD, and while I never had a major crash I did have close calls that would have been avoided if I learned on a smaller bike.

If you do choose to go with a 600 anyways I would suggest buying an older bike. I bought my first bike for $2300 and looking back I am glad I bought a used one instead of a new one. I knocked that bike over a few times while I was learning. Better to do it to an older bike you got for 2-3k versus a newer bike you bought for 6K+.

Either way :wave welcome!

#12 ·
:wave

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.