Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

what fairings fit on a 1999 yamaha R6

29K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  TakariDolsa Penspinning 
#1 ·
hello,

i found this R6 and its missing all the fairings, seats, tank, gauges, headlights etc, so in the spirit of cheapness since i dont have much cash right now but i really want a bike, if i were to make purchasement of this bike obviously it has to be fixed up to be usable on the road legally.

since i need to do this cheaply and im not finding cheap 99 r6 fairings on ebay (there is a ton of stuff to go thru, ive already spent hours looking thru them) my question is what fairings could fit with minimal modification?

newer R6 fairings would be the nicest since it is a yamaha and i love the sharp look but im not opposed (which most of you guys probably are) to say getting gsxr cbr or zx fairings to put on it and just painting over them.

the bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9722&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#v4-36

thanks

#4 ·
if i put on a 2001-02 fairing set it has different taillights. the one on the bike is a big single unit and these are the two smaller circles. i can find the lights on ebay no problem. so do the 2001 bikes have the same connections as the 99? if so everything simply plugs right up

thanks for the replys

#8 · (Edited)
Race fairings.. yes they go right on pretty easy...
Street require a bit o mods. Upper fairing bracket needs to be swapped, and sub frame needs to swap for rear seat and tail light... also the Rqadiator on 03-05 is a little bigger but will fit fine. The front.rear fender however must be 99-02 to fit...

#6 ·
have any owners of 98-02 r6s's attempted to update their machine with newer plastics?

if i buy the stuff new it is the same price for the old ones as for the new ones and i like the look of the newer ones better. how much work does it take to make them fit? if they can.

also how about the electric system. can i just plug in newer taillights and headlights? i would really like the integrated system just to clean up the look.

#9 ·
if u get lucky u can find a working, not much stuff to replace 99-02 (1st gen) r6 for maybe $2K - $2,500.. if ur gona buy parts but have someone fix the engine ur gona be spending around $1K for sure...i bought a used 2000 r6 without knowing anything about the engine. and later i found out that the engine was sh*ty..it cost me alot of money just to get it running right.IF ur gonna be doing everything by urself then its gona be a different story. Maybe u'll save some money or maybe u'll end up ending spending around $2K...good luck dude...

#12 ·
Yeah dude, thats doesnt look good. Just wait until you find a better deal. I got mine for 2000 a few months ago, craigslist is your friend. Also dont be afraid to lowball people, the worst they can say is no. The original price of mine was 3500 I talked him down to 2.

#16 ·
They are selling 06+ for 4-5k... A real deal on a carb'd 99-02 would be around 1-2k...

BTW, you can get a set of wong fairing factory color OR custom painted for 500$ all in.

#18 ·
so first time on this forum, so sorry if im cutting in where im not wanted. but this was the closest thread i could find. i have a 2002 r6 that ive had since new, love it. long story short i want a better seat. Corbin makes one that fits 03 and 04, but nothing for 02. does anyone have experance here? will the 03 seat fit on my 02? any other suggestions? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.