Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Rocky5000100's 2002 R6

29K views 201 replies 31 participants last post by  smalltrack 
#1 · (Edited)
A little bit of background:
Started on the street by buying a 2000 Buell Blast. That was a great starter bike.

Always dreamed of having an R6 though, and this spring, after 2 years on the blast, that dream was realized.

I found a great condition 2002 R6 with quite a few mods on it already.

Starting mods:
-Dark Zero Gravity Windscreen
-GPR V4 Steering Stabilizer
-Yoshimura Tri-Oval TRS exhaust
-Fender Eliminator
-LED Flush Mount Turns
-LED Rear signal/brake
-Carbon Fiber-looking accent pieces
-Frame sliders

The first mod I did to it was get a new front tire. The current one was very bald. Got a Power Pure
:toocool:

Then I replaced the speedo lights which were burnt out:

Next I got a LED Flasher relay, as the turn signals were not flashing right/consistently.

Got rid of old one:

Sitting next to Lake Michigan

Track Time

I always knew I'd want to track my bike someday, and my well-paying internship this summer allows me to do that. So I started buying stuff for the track.

I bought:
-Alpinestars GP-Pro Suit (size 48)(Thanks Chiefsmokedawg for recommending it!)
-Teknic Xcelerator Gloves (Kangaroo palm rocks!)
-Sidi Vertigo boots (size 13)

Not my room FYI lol

Posts to come later as I upload more photos of my purchases.

See less See more
#86 ·
My god. This exhaust sounds sweet. I rode it for about 15 minutes today (installed it temporarily).

It is so much deeper sounding than the Yoshi was. As soon as I get a chance I'll film a fly-by or two.

It is much louder though, definitely have to wear earplugs, but doesn't bother me cause I already do all the time (except this little 15 minute ride I took).

#88 · (Edited)
I ordered Grabit Screw extractor bits to get the stripped screws of the gas tank out. The extractors worked great. One of the screws was seized and the drill didn't have enough torque to get it out, so I popped the bit into a 1/4" socket and it twisted right out!

I highly recommend having a set of these around the house:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8440P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B001A4CWHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352699639&sr=8-1&keywords=grabit[/ame]

Finally got the cap off so I can finish prep and start painting the tank.

Also, stripped the fairings and headlights/taillights off and will be posting them for sale soon so I can buy track fairings :)

Oh yes, and the custom pipe for my LOR Exhaust is being lathed out a little bit at my dad's work, I should have that permanently installed soon.

Also, what do you guys think of this paint scheme for the track fairings? Do you think I should do a black stripe down the center of the front, tank, and tail?

#89 ·
Don't put too much energy into the paint broseph.. You'll just be that much more upset when you see it sliding across the pavement. You saw me after my crash-- did I look concerned about my bike at all? HELL NAW. That's the attitude you need for a track bike, or you'll be too scared of binning it to take it any faster.

#94 · (Edited)
So today I just went crazy doing things to the bike. Got my wisdom teeth out and barely any pain!

Worked on:
-Primer gas tank
-Remove original gas tank
-Tested TPS sensor with multi-meter to see if in spec
-Cleaned stock fairings for sale
-Cleaned and listed flushmount turns and flasher relay for sale
-Tested fabricated pipe for Level One Racing Exhaust SUCCESSFULLY
-Measured for custom exhaust hanger to be made

Tank halfway through primering:

Here is the exhaust solution:

I found a pipe that was nearly the exact thickness of the discrepancy between the header out (1.75") and the LOR in (2").

I had a 6016 Aluminum pipe cut to 1.5" length, and had the inside lathed out at my dad's work for free. I had just a little bit removed because it was barely too tight to fit on the header.

The reason I did all this is because the connector pipe given with the LOR Exhaust caused it to stick out past the footpeg (since I bought the 06-09 pipe) and I didn't want that. Now it has proper clearance.

And here is the exhaust on (the support bracket isn't in the right location in this pic. It will be angled towards the bike more and will attach via a bracket to the back of the footpeg mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.