Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Pit bike set ups/pics

12K views 78 replies 24 participants last post by  tanglaw 
#1 ·
Alright gentleman and ladies, me and the wife are in the market for a pit bike. I have my eye on a 2008 Yamaha TTR-50 for $600. Not sure if that's a good deal or not, as I have no experience with little dirt bikes. My wife wants to use it to travel around taking pictures around the track. How else can I justify this purchase. :lmao

Anyways, I wanted to see some Pit Bikes that our members have on the forum and there set ups. Any suggestions would be appeciated as well.

I searched the forum and there was some limited discussion, just not pictures of these fun toys.

#58 ·
The CRF50 aka XR50 from Honda has the largest aftermarket out there...
Bottom line, they all make good "pit bikes" but if you want to trick it out, go with the Honda. Where I'm at (So Cal.) pit bike are big. The 110's and 50's rule the market. I have a few friend that bought the China knock off's of the Honda and they're pretty good if you don't try to race them and jump the crap out of them. The Honda parts even bolt right up to them. You can get a clutched 125cc with disk brakes for like $900 new.
Otherwise, I've been finding real Honda's for for $500-800.

#68 ·
From my experience he is right...$750 is a better figure. Either way, the 80cc will be a blast. I have two 70's and wish I would have purchased the guys 80cc he was selling.

I bought both my XR 70s for $500 each if that helps with figures

#70 ·
so think it's a good buy? i mean it looks damn clean. never owned a dirtbike before, just ridden one so don't know about maintenance and shiiit.

but for a pitbike, i'm going to assume not that much besides oil changes and gas or is it mixture?

it was either this or new front suspension... :lmao but i keep hearing the stock R6 fronts are pretty good and just need to get valved, refreshed etc... unless you really feel like it's just no good no matter how many times you adjust it.

#78 · (Edited)
I kinda lost track of where this topic is at, but to the OP, anything with a stock displacement of 125ish and less makes for a great pit bike. It'll be small, but fun and easy to throw around, store, etc...Parts availibility for most name brands (Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, SSR, Pitster etc) is GREAT, and with certain bikes, parts match up between brands (a CRF50 sprocket, wheel, caliper etc will very likely work on an SSR for example). For budget reasons, stock china 110s (such as my SSR) ROCK, they're powerful enough, small enough, cheap enough, and more than enough fun.

The Red CRF I built from the frame up (gathered most parts one at a time starting with a frame). I love it but due to the long forks and short swing arm it rides a bit like a chopper and is VERY wheelie happy...Once I can afford ti spend 500 bucks on it, I'm going to get a +5 swinger and set up the rear to run a hydraulic brake. It has a GPX140cc motor and will do just over 60MPH (GPS).

The other bike is my SSR that is almost stock (replaced some parts as they broke, and have done a little suspension work). I would highly reccommend one of these for a pit bike. Its pretty cheap, but also pretty well built. Levers, foot pegs etc are junk, but the bike is pretty solid. I race this one every sunday night (its how we cope with winter in MN) in a Mini-Moto league at a local indoor go-kart track. This china 110 motor isn't very powerful, but if you ride the bike hard enough, you can keep up with KLXs with 143 kits and just about anything else less than 150cc (its all about cornering!).

Anyways, these are my pit bikes, I love 'em!

Attachments

#79 ·
Nice to see everyone else's pit bikes. Looking into getting a 2000 Pitsterpro X4 125cc for my daughter, finally she is wanting my kinda toys :D

Seller is asking $800 CAD, been dropped down from $900, the initial asking price. Comes with a second set of wheels, studded ice tires which is the main selling point for me.

What's a reasonable offer (initial/final) without coming off as a jackass?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.