Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Development of shad0ws

40K views 344 replies 49 participants last post by  mmmfishrighton 
#1 · (Edited)
Been wanting to put one of this up for a while but just super duper lazy about it.

Started off at the beginning of riding season in 2011. Had a bunch of friends buy bikes and all tried to convince me to get one as well. Told everybody no because I'm so accident prone. Had an 03 Cobra at the time and didn't need anything to go fast as that was all I needed. Then I let a woman into my head and sold the cobra for pickup truck (huge mistake, miss that car everyday). Now I was itching for speed, had split up said evil woman. Started looking at bikes and always loved the R6. Went to the local Yamaha shop and fell in love.

Was/is living at home with "roommates" and was told if I bought that bike I will be paying rent. Well, I pay rent now. Started off just riding around with friends around town, you know, squiding it up.

Then I discovered this forum and the true transformation started to begin. Started going up to the local mountain with my friend from work and trying to improve my cornering skills. All I did was scour this forum for information on proper technique. I took it very slow, never took myself out of my comfort zone my bike. I'm one of those people who like to learn the right way the first time.

I soon discovered that you get what you pay for in gear. Had a Icon helmet and had multiple hot spots on my head and decided to upgrade.

Also went with the clean look around this time. Removed all the stock decals.

Rode like this for a little while still hitting up the mountain everytime I rode.

I then started working on getting my ass to the track because I never really felt safe on public roads especially on mountain due to cars, gravel, etc...

Black Friday came around and Riders Discount threw a killer sale, I couldn't let it pass by. Made all of these purchases with advice and things I read on this forum. Thanks for all the info you guys post. :toocool:

Sat on this stuff through winter waiting on the season schedule to be posted for track organizations. Eventually heard of California Superbike School from a couple members and started doing some research. Was kind of hesitant of making the purchase considering it was double the cost for a single day with CSS compared to the local org. Ended up PM'ing Chief and he assured me, it was worth every penny. Made the purchase for May 15 or 14, can't really remember at VIR on the North Course.

Started a looking at what I needed for the track on minimum for the R6.
Well, that brought the arrival of these and some Vesrah RJL pads along with making the switch to RBF600 fluid.

Next I had to subdue my need for a DB windscreen. Ended up going with the Zero Gravity Clear DB. Sherman would be so proud. :D Also picked up some Stompgrips as well.

Next on the agenda was tires, did a whole lot of research on this and ended up going with Dunlop Q2's. Put these tires on the bike and wow what a difference. 10x better than the stock tires.

It was now time to prep for the track :YEA. Got the bike all taped up and was ready to roll out.

Got down to VIR and woke up Eric (My94GT). He had had registered to the same day as well. Props to him for making the long drive down for a 1 day-er. Ended up raining for most of the day but we got 2 dry sessions in at the end of the day. Had a freaking blast and fell in love with VIR. Also realized that the track is where it's at.

After coming home from this, I was a changed man. Tried riding on the street a few more times. Never was the same, the street just became boring. All I wanted to do was get back to the track. I was in love with the track. :love Had my next day planned out at VIR with NESBA on June 30. Paid for my registration and started getting the bike ready for their tech requirements. Safety wired the oil drain plug, filter, dipstick, and oil fill cap along with switching to Water Wetter for coolant.

June 30th finally came around and got everything ready the day before. Forecast was calling for 100+ temps, wasn't too happy with that but I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by after multiple people trying to convince me not to go in that kind of heat. Pussies :rolleyes:

Went to Wal-Mart that night to pick up some snacks and stuff and then an epic storm came through. 80-100 mph winds so walmart wouldn't let anybody leave and put us back in the employee break room. I didn't get out of there till about 11pm. And of course when I got home the power was out which kind of killed all hopes of me making it to the track the next day as it takes a serious set of speakers to wake me up. All night I was receiving calls from friends who had trees down in their yards and such. Didn't get to bed until about 1am and just gave up on making it to the track. Got up the next day and started cleaning up the mess the storm had made. Didn't get the bike off the trailer until late in the afternoon. The forecast didn't lie that day, it was hot as balls. Canyon dancer even melted my grips onto my bars.

So feeling uber depressed about missing my trackday I signed up for 3 days at NJMP. Best decision ever. Took a week of vacation at work and make some purchases. Hooked up with Chief for woodcraft accessories. And also purchased a set of "just in-case" tires to take with me to the track.

Made the long trek to NJ and was prepared for on freaking awesome weekend. Met Ant, Chief, Burg, Walt, Talise, Billdozer, Lee, Carlos, Eric, and Roger down at the track. We all a freaking blast, I made huge improvements over this weekend. Chief took the time set-up my bike for me and even sat down with me and watched some of my videos from previous sessions and gave me pointers. I owe you guys, when people say everyone at the track is always more than willing to help, they mean. Made some really good friends that weekend. I appreciate all the advice everyone gave me that weekend, it truly helped :cheers. Now on with the pictures!!!

The whole weekend I was fighting my helmet. Couldn't get my head down like I wanted to because it kept hitting my hump on my suit and pushing the helmet over my eyes. Decided it was time for an upgrade, needed something with more of a racefit. Picked up a Shoe X-12, after seeing billy's I couldn't resist. So sexy... :hump

Now I know you see my fairings sitting in the background of the helmet pic. Well chief held a gun to my head and forced me to make another purchase (not really, I begged him). Picked up a set of Armour Bodies and some :pimp bleeders.

Currenlty the bike is sitting in the garage with the lower off waiting on ANOTHER package from chief to take care of my exhaust. Also waiting on my brother in law to bring me some paint samples so we can start work on the plastics. Looking to get back to VIR on October. Oh and here is a render of my plans for paint.

So now I'm trying to build an awesome bike and get plenty of seat time at the track and about to start construction of my first home in a few months. Thanks for reading guys.

See less See more
#102 · (Edited)
Another journey to the track. Went to VIR this time and did the Patriot Course with NESBA. I definitely liked riding with the NESBA boys. Plenty of CR's out on track as well to keep things moving. Once again, started in Beginner (B) group and took it really easy in the morning, it was like 40 degrees. Had a new set of BT003RS's mounted a few days before and was having a hard time getting the pressures sorted in those temps. Went out for the first time and came back in, 38F/36F hot :eek:. After lunch I finally got my temps set and starting ripping, was getting held up alot and eventually got picked up by a CR after a few laps.

Needless to say we were RIPPING!!! He towed me around track for a while and was keeping his eyes on me over his shoulder making sure I could keep up. Every now and then he would drop back and follow my line to make sure I could keep the pace. I was really impressing myself to be honest :bow. Pulled off track after the checkered was waved and pulled to the side to wait for the coach to tell him thanks for the tow. Totally didn't expect this, but the he pulled up and said I was getting held up too much and he was bumping me to intermediate group for the day. :YEA

He said they don't do permanent bumps at that track, so he just bumped me for the day but assured me if next time I'm out with them and I show the same speed I would be bumped immediately with I'm sure I can do. :YEA

Finished up the day in Intermediate group and had a freaking blast. Was able to haul ass and not get held up. There was a section of track I wasn't really comfortable with because of the joints in the pavement and the fact of hitting them full lean kind of made me uneasy and the section right before the joints, I really didn't know to take. Felt really awkward anyway I tried it.

Anyways, no track photographer once again!!!! :thumbdown Got a few pictures that my dad took.

Talking to the coach and getting a bump.

:YEA Also got some video this time around. Only put it on for one session, didn't getting get going until the 4 minute mark, I need warmers!!! Chief, I need warmers!!!!!!! :secret

#103 ·
Nice!!! Looks like a good time was had. Nice on the video too.

#106 ·
You seriously do man, I was reminded last weekend why I love that place so much. :secret

Beautiful tire wear Ben. :fact That shock is set nice bro. I'm glad the setup is helping you out. BROOOOOOO... When you unleash the fcuking fury on that bike at 8k and the lower end of the power band, you can HEAR that intake fcuking ROARING!!! That bike pulls as hard at 8k as it used to at 10k now from the looks of it. Also, the flash sets the rev limit and corrects the speedo. So don't be shy about running it into the red to the limiter once so you can see. You got another 1000 RPM's to go before the limiter and it will keep pulling to the redline!

You're lookin good bro. I am glad to see you're still REAL mean with that quick turn in man. Cali superbike school has given you a great foundation!!!

Also, be weary in a full lean on the gas over that hill man. I was SWEATIN over here a couple times. I'm sure the back end was stepping out just a hair for you in that spot. You're REALLLY getting a strong drive in a lean bro and it's not on the very edge of the tire so you can see your improved BP is doing it's job for sure!!

The bike sounds TITS and I'm looking forward to getting rid of the decel popping for you too. After reviewing your fuel map, we can surely address that! I'll expect the ECU soon doggy!
Bro, it's so funny you said that. That turn was the first time I really "embraced the spin." I felt the most comfortable in that section and I wanted to see what the tires would handle and get a better feeling for them on the gas.

And yeah man, I was really impressed throughout the day with tire wear. I still appreciate you setting shock up for me, still feels planted like a tree. And dude let me tell you, I couldn't really appreciate the lessened engine braking at NCBIKE but I'm in serious love with it now after VIR. Makes turn in much more comfortable for me. Like I've told you before, YOU ARE THE MAN!!! :fact

#108 ·
Tuned ECU was probably the best damn mod I did to my bike. Completely changes the way the bike behaves.

Looks like you're having a ton of fun man! Keep it up. Now I've got the itch to go to the track again. Soon... luckily we have it pretty much year-round out here...

#112 ·
Thanks for documenting this. You may have not started out doing a write up but this one turned out great. Ive been thinking about installing a y-pipe but everywhere else it was seeming complicated and i couldnt really find a detailed step by step how to. Im gonna try this out i think, now that it seems way easier.

#113 ·
Yeah man, no problem. I tried to take as many pictures as I could because I wanted something for people to refer to as I know there isn't much out there showing to do it. It's really not bad at all, just remember. Get yourself an electric grinder, it will save you alot of time over an air grinder.

#114 ·
Im rather new to riding and just getting to learn how to ride. I picked up a cheap hotbodies slashcut, trying to save money. If i did what you did do you think I would lose tons of power until I got a pc? I Dont want to lose power by trying to gain power. Or should I wait until I have the pc to do it all at once?

#115 ·
If you run a slash cut muffler like that I wouldn't recommend removing the honeycomb. You'll loose all your back pressure. Any time of tune is always going to be your best option after doing exhaust. I'm no tuning and engine guru but you notice any thing substancial other than sound without an exhaust. Bike not run ideally either.

#120 ·
Oh wow, been a long time since I've updated this thread. Well here goes, bike has just been sitting for a while now. Been working on upgrading my gear and some equipment on the bike very slowly.

So black friday came along I decided it was time for another set of gloves and better boots. Picked these up during some good deals. And man oh man, after wearing the held's for a little bit I can't say I'll every buy anything other than held. The gaerne's are damn nice too, a definite upgrade from my Alpinestar boots.

In other news, I finally convinced my best friend to ride track with me. We started scouring the wera forums for track bikes for a decently low price and this is what he ended up with. 05 GSXR750

He got the bike and a bunch of extra's including an extra set of new race fairings for $2700. Bike is already fully safety wired and set up to pass WERA tech. So now I finally have someone to split cost with.

I've been eyeing tire warmers for a little while now as I would like to enjoy most of my time on the track and for the future when I need them. Got ahold of Chief at BAUCE Racing (who is the man, if you didn't already know :fact) and picked up a set of Woodcraft Dual-Temp Warmers. I've heard nothing but good things about these so it was kind of a no brainer for me.

Now as most of you know I've been trying to get the bike painted now for a while. I picked up most of my paint and what not and began the hunt for the yamaha blue so I wouldn't have to paint the tank. Chief was able to help me out on this and I came to the conclusion that to match it right, it would cost more money than I was willing to spend on another quart of paint. So anyways, the past few weeks I've been in contact with a guy out of Richmond who paints race bikes (AMA) and I should be taking my fairings and what paint I have to him in the next few weeks to get painted.

I'll be differing from my original render a bit because of the whole Yamaha Blue thing but it will still be flourescent yellow and black.

Now for some Xmas goodies. Gave my mom Chief's business card and told her to surprise me for christmas. They did an awesome job communicating about what I needed and I ended up with a set of springs for my weight for the forks and the Ohlins Fork Piston Kit. Was contemplating on installing them myself but I found a guy about 2 hours away who specializes in road race and dirt bike race suspension who gave me a pretty good quote on the job. Actually leaving tomorrow to drop them off at his shop for the install.

Everything is moving right along now and I can't wait for this upcoming season. Already took a week of vacation for Road Atlanta with NESBA the last week in May and I'll be at VIR on April 16th. Super pumped about getting back out on track tearing up some rubber.:YEA

How she sits now...

#121 ·
Someone had a killer Christmas!

#124 ·
Haha, no complaints from my end.

Quite a few upgrades! Siiiick! Can't wait to see the paint job, and the bike back together again!

:cheers
Thanks man, won't be long now.

tons of epicness in your last post. first, that's awesome you convinced your friend to hit the track. rolling to the track with friends really makes the trip a good time and helps on cost big time. atleast for me with gas being a big expense. secondly, awesome upgrades and new gear, hope i see this yellow and black beauty in person this season! Lastly, when will you be coming up to shred tires at njmp?
Yeah man, in the past 2 years he has totalled 2 08 ZX-10R's on the street. He actually totalled the last one that last Sunday I was up there with you guys. He was talking about getting another one so I just started drilling him hard on getting to the track. He is a fast rider, just has some bad street habits like body positioning and not waiting on his tires to warm up.

Dude, I can't even explain to you how pumped I am about getting the forks done and the paint. The upgraded forks should help me build more corner entry speed since I'll actually have confidence in the front end. Hopefully this solves the pushing feeling I get from the front. :thumbdown

I'll definitely be up at NJMP with you guys again this year :nocontrol. Not sure on the dates I'll do. Money is going to be a little tighter this year, in the procress of closing on my first home right now actually but I'll definitely be up there with you guys for hopefully another 3 day session of ripping. I'll be keeping my eyes on the northeast section of the forum this season for a good opportunity.

#122 ·
Quite a few upgrades! Siiiick! Can't wait to see the paint job, and the bike back together again!

#123 ·
tons of epicness in your last post. first, that's awesome you convinced your friend to hit the track. rolling to the track with friends really makes the trip a good time and helps on cost big time. atleast for me with gas being a big expense. secondly, awesome upgrades and new gear, hope i see this yellow and black beauty in person this season! Lastly, when will you be coming up to shred tires at njmp?

#125 ·
Gas is cheap in jersey come to upstate NY we pay 30 to 50cents more per gallon. :nono

#126 ·
Well things didn't work out with dropping the forks off today, ended up going to Dick's Sporting Goods to pick up a gun case for the forks as it's cheaper to ship to him due to gas prices. Will be sending them off first thing monday.

Also emailed the paint guy about setting up an appointment to meet him and drop off the fairings. Went ahead and made a final render without the yamaha blue.

#127 ·
That'll look sick as shit! :fact

#135 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.