Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

SeaFoam Questions!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BootiHole 
#1 ·
I live in California in an area that doesn't snow nor experience super hot, or super cold weather.

I left my R6 in the garage for I would say around a month or more with around 4/5ths of the tank full of gasoline (91 Octane). I wasn't planning to 'store it for winter' as I am still able to ride during the Winter season from where I live. ALTHOUGH, as I planned to ride it probably once a week but that didn't go as planned. Whenever I wanted to go out riding, something came up which didn't allow me to do so.

Anyways, it's been at least a month and probably a few weeks since I've last ridden the R6. Stayed inside my garage ever since. Never thought to add fuel stabilizer due to what I said above.

So... now I have time and was wondering if I should add SeaFoam to my current tank of gasoline. To remove any gumming and such. Or should I just add some Sta-Bil? This will be my first time using SeaFoam so I don't really know what to expect other than making sure to use the correct amount.

Also, will adding SeaFoam to my fuel tank cause any white smoke to appear? I know adding SeaFoam to vacuum lines of cars will cause a major amount of white smoke to appear. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope. doesn't smoke if you put it in the gas tank. I did this with my 250 for a couple tanks of gas til i got it ungummed. the previous owner let it sit for almost 2 years without riding it.

Just put it in the tank. ride it a couple miles so it mixes into the lines and you should be fine.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, one more question, how do you guys know when your fuel system is un-gummed? I honestly don't know if it's gummed or not at this moment, I'm just taking it as a precaution due to having it sit for a month+ without fuel stabilizer.

#6 ·
Gas can sit for about 2 months without stabil. It can smell sour and look darker than fresh gas if it's gone bad.

I would say you're fine for now and to not be in the crisis mode just yet.

#8 ·
i crashed in sept. of 11 and didn't get my bike running til jan. of 12 and i did nothing to the gas, you should be fine for the amount of time your's has been sitting

#10 ·
Sweet, less worries for me lol. Thanks everyone! I'll be adding a bit of SeaFoam anyways just to make sure. :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.