Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

My Track to Street conversion/build

6K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  TheJokester3 
#1 ·
Backstory: I just got this 05 R6 a couple on 8/5. The previous owner didn't like the feel of the bike so I got it at a great price. It's been downed, but checked by a frame shop so everything chassis wise is good.

So far, I've found quite a few missing parts that I have to replace and some obvious parts like lights that need to be replaced too. I pulled off the Leo Vince Ti exhaust. It sounds awesome, but a bit too loud for my taste and the can is pretty banged up. I would say the system is perfect for a track bike. I spent most of last week searching for parts and removing and tagging the wires. Yesterday, my little bro came over and helped me drop the motor out. The last pics are current and I need to decide if I want to pull the wheels and swing arm off to do some powder coating on them. I still need to order the gaskets necessary to R&R the transmission. The new fairings are being made by Auctmarts and will be a blue and black scheme.

On with the pics!

These were taken between when the bike first arrived until I got it ready to drop the motor.

See less See more
#2 ·
Taken yesterday after the motor was dropped out.

I welded up my own transmission adapter plate. I didn't want to pay $200 for a decent tranny jack. I bought 1/4" plate, drilled a big hole in the center, then TIG welded some support steel. Coated with plastidip. It worked out great.

This lil bugger is the reason I pulled the motor. I was told by the PO that while in 2nd, there was a clattering sound.

#6 ·
Thanks. I'm having fun with it. It's my first time doing major repair work on a bike.

Good luck!
Thanks!

Hey what do u recommend for getting motor back in? Im tempted to buy a stand.
A couple of friends on steroids? Haha. This is my first time doing this, so I'm not sure. However, dropping it out wasn't all that difficult. I made a 12"x12" plate adapter for my floor jack and it worked out really well. I had my brother on one side to help balance it while the motor came down. I'll have him come back and help me install it. I just plan on putting it back onto my jack and jacking it up. I've read a bunch of different ways to reinstall the engine. Most involve straps and rafters in your garage. I've also seen someone use an engine hoist that works pretty well too. I guess it all depends on what's available to you and how much you're willing to spend.

The one thing that I didn't realize was that on the brake side of the lower engine bolt, there's a threaded spacer there. If you remove all the engine bolts and the engine still doesn't want to drop out, you need to unscrew that spacer until the engine becomes loose.

#4 ·
Good luck!

#8 ·
I got my Yama bond 4 today. OEM bearings and seals arrive on saturday. New OEM friction plates are ready as well as the Barnett clutch plates.

I got the plastic subframe tray installed. I need to pick up a rear seat latch assembly. I also pulled the swing arm off and removed the bearings. I'm going to drop it off at the powder coating shop this week.

Attachments

#9 ·
Made some real progress tonight. I got the cases separated and pulled out the gear set with the broken 2nd gear. I still need to remove the torx bolts to remove the other set of gears. I might as well replace those while I can. It looks like the shift shaft cover and drum have to be pulled out so I can remove it. I'll probably end up replacing the forks while I'm in there. The forks don't seem to have much wear on them though.

Attachments

#10 ·
Good and bad day today.

Good- I got the new bearings installed on the swing arm and it's reinstalled.

Bad- I was installing the clutch basket and noticed it was pretty worn. I'm not really sure if I should reuse it or not. I did some searching, and it looks like it's normal, so I'm thinking I'll just reuse it. Another bad- I tried to reinstall the oil pump cover only to find out that most of the threads were previously helicoiled. Trying to thread them again broke the helicoil. Spent hours trying to rethread and gave up. Went out to autozone and picked up their thread repair kit. It works great! Directions kind of suck, but the threads are holding up under torque. I need to pick up another pack of the inserts though. Kit only came with 3 and I need 1 more. I also need to figure out how to mount that shock reservoir. It was previously zip tied to the sub frame. With the subframe tray installed, that's not possible anymore. I have an idea for it, but it will need to wait until other parts are installed.

I also found out that the HF bead breaker doesn't work all that great on the R6 rim. It works great on the 250 though.

Attachments

#11 ·
Got my engine installed today. Took about 15 minutes with my little brother's help. My floor jack and custom adapter is freaking awesome. It made it super easy to line up and install. Also had to repair the vortex oil pump cover. It's been downed, so I sanded off what I could to make it look good and resprayed it with plastidip.

Attachments

#12 ·
I got my Bridgestone S20's (courtesy of my beautiful wife) mounted and balanced. I put blue rim tape over the oem red stripes too. I got the rear wheel back on tonight, although it's not torqued since there's no chain installed yet. I want to fire up the motor before I bother putting the chain on. The vortex left engine cover has some weird thread for the coolant bottle mounts, so I'll need to see if the local hardware store has some.

I also fitted the new Leo Vince exhaust can to the old Ti system that was already on there. Kinda cool that it fit perfectly :D.

Radiator is back on and water/coolant is in the system. I just need to mount the reservoir bottle so it can suck up coolant when I turn the motor on.

Attachments

#25 ·
So I got the leaks fixed. I had one leak where the oil pan met the mid case. Instead of taking it off, I found some Amazing Goop epoxy for automotive use. It cured and kept the oil from dribbling out. The oil wasn't gushing out in the first place, so I think the epoxy will hold. It's rated to 250F intermittent, so I'm hoping the exhaust doesn't do much damage to it.

I got my HEL brake lines and they're freaking awesome. I installed the Stahlbus speed bleeders which made bleeding very easy. I just got done tig welding up a bracket to hold the customized rear shock reservoir. I'll be picking up some paint tomorrow to paint the bracket. I don't have the patience to powder coat it and my dad has my air compressor still :(. If the paint doesn't hold, I can always pull it off later and powder coat it.

Also got my Renthal grips installed along with the auctmarts levers and the headlights. It's starting to look like a motorcycle again!

Attachments

#26 ·
More pics! I took some pics of my tig welds :D:toocool: TIG welder is a Thermal Arc 95s. It's tiny, but works flawlessly once you get it dialed in. It took me a while to get a hang of scratch starting too.

Attachments

#29 ·
I got the fairings on and everything buttoned up. I'm going to remove my scorpio alarm system from the 250 and put it in the R6. I'm also going to make a garage door remote and a brake light modulator for it later.

I still need to have my spare tank repaired and then it'll get repainted to match the blue on the fairings.

Pics!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.