Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Need a custom suit vendor.

4K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  thedub 
#1 ·
Who are the people making custom suits these days? I have a size 44 teknic that is too short on the arms, legs, and torso section. I am about 6'4", 190lbs. Who is everyone using? I am looking for a decent turnaround time also.

#2 ·
Have you considered having yours altered? You can take measurements, pics, etc and send it to Lizzyleather.com. She's even trackside at many of the track day events Roger Lyle runs down in West Virginia. She has a quick turnaround and you can pay extra for fast turnaround.

OTherwise, I know for sure you can get Vanson suits custom.

#3 ·
I am ready for a new suit as it is. Ive highsided in this one and I want something a little more reputable anyways. Would it be worth buying an off the shelf suit online, and having it shipped with my measurements to be altered? Havent thought of that.

#5 ·
Just reading up, and curious... What's a bib Anthony? Just ordered a suit, but with my build I've got to wear a 46... Issue with that is, at my height it leaves a lot of slack in the thighs... From hip to knee... My last suit was like that, chest and shoulders usually fit perfect, nice and tight. I may look into altering this new suit as well... Thanks for the info! Expect a text about where to send it in the future... Sounds like an ideal option!

:cheers

#7 ·
#12 ·
Heard good things about syed leathers out of orlando fl as well. Google will tell you all about them.
This was my first thought as well.

I would recommend pilot and its local dealer, insurrection racing (they have offices in Willows and Sacramento) but when I called to use their leather repair service, they were exceptionally rude to me, especially considering I was asking for a simple zipper replacement on a sleeve cuff with no rush.

That said, Heroic makes some excellent suits, IMO on par with Pilot. Really good people too. Thats where Im going when my Shift Vertex wears out. Thats where my kid will be getting his first suit too. And they have great customer service.
Damn dude, that's pretty ridiculous.. People these days.. :nono

#22 ·
Suits look awesome. Any reviews from this guy? Any bad experiences? Whats his turn around time?

You can design your own here, for unbelievably low cost.

http://hazardousracing.com/
Anyone have any experience with these people? I noticed the leather is 1.3mm instead of the standard 1.4mm. Any comments here? They are about half the price.

Mark and I both got custom suits from NJK last October...

http://www.njkleathers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=162

We are really happy with them. Plus, Kelsey is really easy to work with. :cheers

He is in San Clemente which made it nice because we went down there for an initial fitting and a final fitting.
Any crashes with these suits? They seem to have alot of that "stretch" material, especially on the front. When I crashed in my Teknic, that was the only place I had rash..

#11 ·
I would recommend pilot and its local dealer, insurrection racing (they have offices in Willows and Sacramento) but when I called to use their leather repair service, they were exceptionally rude to me, especially considering I was asking for a simple zipper replacement on a sleeve cuff with no rush.

That said, Heroic makes some excellent suits, IMO on par with Pilot. Really good people too. Thats where Im going when my Shift Vertex wears out. Thats where my kid will be getting his first suit too. And they have great customer service.

#13 ·
I learned a ton about leather suits while being in the industry, such as the way stitching is done and how the overlap the leather and the tanning process and where their made. If you want quality custom suit talk to Paris at MotoGearU.com, the name says it all, he is a guru when it comes to safety gear, he's the one that taught me most of what I know today.

He offers trackside support as well as contingency and he's at pretty much all the CCS & WERA events on the east coast and at Roger Lyle's trackdays.

#20 ·
I appreciate everyones replies!

To the guy who said Pilot was rude, I stopped by their vendor location at Laguna Seca this year and inquired about a custom suit. Maybe it was the amount of people there, but the guy was very rude and kind of snappy, so I just left.

Ill definitely check out all of the suggestions here. A few years back I won a Komodo jacket from this forum. Its very well built and I am sure their suits are awesome, but they come at a high price.

#26 ·
Trackskinz.com

Very good quality, and they will do custom sizing for a small charge....when I bought mine it was an additional $45, I think. But I figured I was close enough to a standard size it wouldn't matter. If I had it to do again, I'd have gone with the custom sizing. I have had custom suits for 15 years before this one and got spoiled by the fit. This suit has almost the same quality as my $1500 Z Customs sets, and if I had gone with the custom size, I probably wouldn't have had ANY complaints. (as negligible as the ones I have are)

#29 · (Edited)
I hear good things about Ballistik On the WFO they are having a kangaroo suit sale.
http://www.ballistik-apparel.com/

Personally I am using an off the rack RS-Taichi GP MAX R100 And I love it! The fitment is on a whole other level than my A* was.
It already fits like a custom suit. I'd swear this suit was made for me if I didn't know better! The size 40 is so comfortable it feels like I am wearing PJ's or something. I have no problem walking around in it, getting my leg out, getting my leg over the bike ect...

Where as to Alpinestars was tight as SHIT I pulled a muscle in my leg just trying to get on the bike. :laugh

If I were to go for a custom suit I'd run with RS Tai-chi or just get another off the rack & add some iron on patches. Also this thing flows air like a Mother ****er! Great for a warm day Horrible for a cold day :laugh

#31 ·
Another good word for Heroic. I have talked to Todd many times, many of my friends have his suits and gloves, and I will be picking one up this winter. Todd is a great guy and puts an incredible amount of thought and work into his suits and gloves. He has worked one on one with the AMA field that he sponsors and the results are incredible. I got to try out one of his suits at a track day this past year and loved it.

#32 ·
Get with Arlen Ness - its close out time on their 2012 models. I got my kangaroo 2011 early this year for half price. Fits like a custom. If I hadn't have found that deal, I wouldn't got a ballistic kangaroo. Dean is a buddy if mine that races both locally and in the AMA. And the special they're running now is stupid nice!!

Check out www.WFOriders.com for their thread about the roo suits.

(excuse typos, as this was a mobile posting)

#34 ·
Do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.