Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Riding when the road is wet?

3K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  MorrowDeath 
#1 ·
currently I have an 07 r6s with Michellin power pilots on them.

Is it safe to ride when the road is wet? or should I refrain from riding when the road is wet for recreational purposes?

I do know a good handful of you ride in, rain thunderstorms and volcanoes etc. but I mean would you do it for fun? and not because you would have too?

#8 ·
Only thing I have to add to that is wear some thing bright or reflective.

#5 ·
nope. never. i've done it in the past when i've gone somewhere and got stuck in the rain, but never on purpose. now that i don't ride the street anymore, i never get stuck in the rain. when the track's wet, i don't ride...

s3aturnr

#6 ·
I went out in heavy rain the second month I got my bike, just for the sake of doing so. I stayed surprisingly dry, and learned quite a bit. It was a new experience, and I had some fun :laugh

Don't think I will be doing it again for fun, the bike got covered in shit too. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you need to you should be okay. Just do as said, be careful and ride safe.

When the rain just starts, the road can be really shitty..especially if it hasn't rained in a while. All the grime and oil in the cracks comes up, but there hasn't been enough rain to wash it off yet. Just be even more cautious in the rain.

#9 · (Edited)
I ride in the rain all the time, no big deal. Like everyone said, just chill a bit and work on being smooth. I definitely go easier on the throttle, leave lots of braking room too. I'm on Metzler M5's which are phenomenal in the wet. Check out the test videos, they're pretty awesome.

I'm pretty OCD so I always give her a good wash after a ride in the rain and have some good one on one time with the bike after. It's not for everyone though. Hardest part is keeping your visor fog free at lights. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
I love to ride in the rain...parents hate it cause they think i'll crash and burn. Be smooth and not abrupt. Be sure to lookout for other drivers. One of the worries I have is that other drivers can't see me in the rain and crash into me.

#14 ·
i have my 2ct's and love them in the rain....brake and shift early keep your rpms low and easy on the throttle, and be extra cautious on turns!

#15 ·
Riding in the rain can be fun if you are properly equipped and ride smoothly (as covered above) and extra carefully.

I like Rain-X on my face shield. My wet gloves have a squeegee on the left forefinger for clearing any junk on the shield.

Most street riding from 30-95 degrees F, I wear my Aerostich one piece suit (with all optional hard armor). It is easy on, easy off; and waterproof for about 1 hour in hard rain. If you waterproof it with a good spray, it can last much longer. In the summer I have soaked it in water when I've gotten too hot on long summer rides and that helps a lot:). I've found myself wishing (and sometimes getting:D) rain on long summer rides:toocool:.

Sidi Vertigo Mega Gore-Tex Boots keep my feet dry. I like those a lot.

Other drivers will have a harder time seeing you in the rain, and they don't notice you in the best of circumstances; so in the rain it's really bad.

More random stuff (gravel, mud, ...) will get splashed up on, or washed into the road. Normally safe curves are more likely than normal to hold hidden surprises.

Tire tread depth, that hardly matters on dry roads, matters a LOT on wet roads.

#16 ·
Riding in the rain isn't too bad if you have gear. I highly recommend Frog Toggs if you're going to do it often.

As mentioned earlier, visibility is hindered in the rain. I usually flash my brake light more than normal when it's raining hard.

Other than that think slow and smooth and you shouldn't have any problems. Watch out for road paint, it gets pretty slick.

#21 ·
I've rode in the pouring rain once on purpose. It was quite an interesting experience. You just have to be smooth on everything like others have said. I can't wait to try riding in the wet on the track :laugh.

#22 · (Edited)
Agree what with everyone is saying about being smooth in the rain and braking early and what not. I try to avoid getting stuck in it but it does happen. Just be cautious when riding, they're alot of bad drivers out there and they seem to come out more in the rain, especially in so cal :fact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.