Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Shift problem '08

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bluerebel 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm having a slight problem with the gearbox of my racer '08
It's an R type, with 3000 miles on it.

The problem seems to be getting it from 2 to 3th gear, and 5 to 6th.
It's not all the time, but like in 3/10.

It feels like the shifting pedal isn't perfectly lined up.
When I pull the clutch(normaly I use QS) in, it slips perfect into that 3 or 6th gear.

It's not feeling like a defective QS, because I know that feeling from an other bike.

Could this be a defect in the gear shift shaft?Or do i have to look it in another place?

#3 ·
what kill time do you have the qs set to? what oil ? check that ALL the shift linkage is free. It is easy for some brands of rearsets to bind. Show a pic of the rearset you have. yea, you could have bent shift forks worst case.

#4 ·
Standard QS time, of the Dynojet stand alone QS module(straight on the coils...no PC involvment).
Gulf 10W40 SEMI-SYNTH

I've got the RIZOMA rearset(in race shift), and it's running free(all joints).
There's also enough clearance at the top(clamp that is mounted at the shift shaft is running +- 5mm from frame.)

QS can't be the problem, as I changed it from a HM when this problem appeared the first time.

#9 ·
that is a possibility, not that the kill time needs reset, but that the quick shifter simply needs "enabled". It shouldn't simply "disable" but depends on what you were working on, or what got disconnected. However, it would not work in any gears, not just have issues with gears he indicated in the first post. ?

#10 ·
I cant really put my finger on it!
I'm using this oil type for over 2 years, so that could not be the problem.

It is only active when pulling the bike hard, changing gears rapidly.
(15:47 is quite high rpm's!)
Will try changing the QS unit, but also want to pull the right engine 'cover'.
Could it be something with the springs?That pulls the shift rod back in place?

I'v got the feeling, my pedal keeps 'low'.
(I'm shifting GP style, upshift -> pedal down).

#11 ·
don't think anyone said anything about oil. but are you sure you have the qs enabled? as asked earlier.. and by "rapid", what do you mean. You can only upshift as fast as the bike can rev to the point of needing another upshift.

#12 ·
Like melk man said.... Make sure the rear set is properly lubed.... I had the same issue as you and found out that when I installed my woodcrafts.... I didn't lube the parts and it was binding which didn't allow the shift rod to return to its proper position. Sprayed some silicone spray in the proper spots and never had the issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.