Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

easbaysav's 09 Track Build

13K views 86 replies 21 participants last post by  easbaysav 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't been around these neck of the woods for that long, but the reason I bought my 09 R6 was for track use and eventually turn her to track only. Honestly didn't care much for the paint scheme but I got a good deal on the bike and knew race glass was due to come. The black n orange grew on me quick and didn't think nothing of it until my brother (die hard SF Giants fan) complimented the colors. Bike had a dark smoke DB, flush mounts, fender eliminator, frame sliders, bar end sliders, swingarm spools, and a GYTR slip on when I got it.

After this, I had no choice but to speed up the process of my track build: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2690364&postcount=3150

No pics from when I brought the bike home, but these are the first pics taken:

First things I did was remove the passenger pegs, did reverse shift, and unf*#$ed some wiring done to the rear turn signals.

Before picking up the bike, I sourced a steering damper and picked it up the next day. Got a HyperPro steering damper, along with some bits added from my R1 (preload adjusters, Harris gas cap, Renthal clip-ons not yet installed ATM).

Had a trackday scheduled for Laguna and didn't think I was going to make it but with some turn of events, the opportunity came back. Took the wheels and had them swapped for a new set of Q2s and had some angled valve stems installed at the same time. Already removed the GYTR and sold it to another member so I sourced a stock slip-on for the dB limits at Laguna. Also removed the peg feelers.

The donor from some of the bits above:

***I like the HyperPro steering damper cause it serves it purpose, but it's a real PITA if you have to lift the tank. Don't know how many times that thing came off since I've had the bike. Wish I could opt for the Graves kit and Ohlins damper but not for the $$$, I'll stick with having to remove and re-install.***

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Before the Laguna day, I had some some bits ordered and had them installed prior to my Sonoma trackday. Too bad some of them took some damage. These bits were: Woodcraft GP shift rearsets, GB Racing case covers, Puig clear DB, TechSpec C3 tank pads, Gregg's Customs mirror block offs, and a Brembo 19RCS (bought the M/C from an R1 Forum member). Was able to install the Renthal clip-ons, a Pazzo clutch lever (also from my R1), some Renthal Kevlar grips, and some Galfer SS brake lines (bought from an R6 Forum member) prior to the trackday as well.

Edit: Had my ECU reflashed by Ant @ Bauce Racing :YEA and also threw some Tygon clear hoses in there and did a rear reservoir delete when the brake lines were installed.

Here's how she looked after that trackday:

#5 ·
Was deciding on Optimals or Armour Bodies. Had Armour Bodies in mind, but after hearing about the Optimals, I was curious. Found out Anthony aka Chiefsmokedawg aka Bauce Racing has the plug on both so I got in contact with him. While trying to source an aftermarket upper fairing stay, Ant recommended one and also had it in stock. :YEA So now the Armour Bodies, Dzus fasteners, MotoHolders upper stay, and some Woodcraft no-cuts were on the way. Thanks Ant!! :beerchug

There's also some ETI tank sliders in the background somewhere that I bought from them directly.

#7 · (Edited)
On with the Armour Bodies install. My first time doing race glass and did it myself.

Started with the tail since I figured it would be the easiest and get familiar with the process:

:secret There's a Bauce ECU reflash and a MotyDesign 8cell QD in there.

then the upper:

and the lower:

Sticking with the OEM front fender for now and currently waiting on a ZG Corsa windscreen. The bodywork is gonna get rattle canned and more than likely be all black or might throw some orange in there also. Depends on how lazy I feeling and it will be my first time spray painting bodywork.

Headers were removed in preparation for an MJS full system.

#14 ·
Nice, well done!

#16 ·
#18 ·
Love this build! Keep it up!

#22 ·
Thanks everybody. I hate to disappoint, but she's almost done.

What I have planned for the rest of my build:
-ETI tanks sliders - ntb installed
-MJS full system with PCV (loaded with MJS custom map) - ntb installed
-AGG smog block-off plates - on the way
-Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen - on order
-Stahlbus oil drain valve - on order

After those parts are installed and a rattle can paint job, think my build will be done...

for the time being:sing

#23 ·
Thanks everybody. I hate to disappoint, but she's almost done.

What I have planned for the rest of my build:
-ETI tanks sliders - ntb installed
-MJS full system with PCV (loaded with MJS custom map) - ntb installed
-AGG smog block-off plates - on the way
-Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen - on order
-Stahlbus oil drain valve - on order

After those parts are installed and a rattle can paint job, think my build will be done...

for the time being:sing

:lmao

#27 ·
That and seeing the nice bits everybody else posts so it's like "fack, I want that."

what...no suspension mods to the track bike? Not even getting the right springs or a rebuild with re-valving?
Maybe down the road. Had my suspension set up by Dave Moss at the Laguna trackday I did; plus the stock suspension should suffice my weight, 150 lbs no gear.

Suspension and performance (hp mods) were down on my list and was gonna hold off until I get better or feel I need the upgrade.

#30 ·
Got the MJS exhaust, AGG smog plates, and PCV installed.

The clamp for the canister was a PITA to get in because of the hardware set up and I managed to add some more scratches to my already scratched up swingarm so I covered that up with the Power Commander sticker. :eek5 The DynoJet sticker for another scratch and the AGG sticker to represent.

Had some pics of the smog plates during the install, but accidentally deleted those pics. No way I'm taking it back apart for some pics. lol. But here's a side shot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.