Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Datalog and LCD show TPS losing throttle % after 14k

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  M.leeds11R6 
#1 ·
Alright tuning guru's...

I have been running a PC5, autotune unit, and the DJ LCD data logger to create a custom map (well 6 custom maps, one for each gear) so I can sell the bike fully tuned.

After reviewing my last couple of full throttle runs, I am noticing a trend with the TPS, both in real time and on the data logs. This happens in all gears.

The bike and data logger will show 100% throttle until 14k, after 14k, with the throttle still pinned, it bleeds TPS% off to about 80-84% from 14k to redline.

No DTCs and the bike seems to run fine, but stumped as to why it does this. My FZ1 has the exact same setup and doesnt...although the bikes are quite different. :dunce:

Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Man its a tough decision. I love the 6...sure the torque and power arent there compared to my fully modded FZ, but I still love it.

My dilemma is I have full mods on the FZ...Full yosh exhaust, ECU Unleased flash, PC5, sprockets, Filter, R1 master cylinder and stainless lines, Penske triple clicker rear shock and Traxxion AK-20's in the forks. So much money and its a BLAST to ride. Its pretty damn fast too.

The 6 is slightly modded, Gutted exhaust, sprockets, PC5 with autotune, speedohealer, blacked out rearsets and screen and little stuff like that.

I just seem too big for it (6', 185). I have attempted to dial in the suspension but it (obviously) doesn't compete with the FZ. I never get comfortable on it, and it buzzes my hands to sleep.

I dont have enough time to ride one of the bikes (19 month old son) let alone both. Insurance got ridiculous when I added the 6 too.

Decisions decisions...:confused:

#9 · (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't OhioYJ (member here) do this flash for free? Links below. What's the difference between him and BAUCE Racing? Why would one PAY for this when a member on here already does it for free?>:secret:screwy

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2568339

Flash pdf foprm
http://www.cdmfabrication.com/bbpics/bike/flashtune/ECM_Flash.pdf

Few questions here:

1) What is the TRUE REDLINE of a 09 R6? As in...when does red line truly start and when does the power fall off? My tach shows the red starting at 16,500 and ending at 19,000 but I'm sure that's not 100% accurate.

2) What is the ideal shift point when shifting at WOT? I read somewhere that the motor peaks at 14,7500 then starts to falls off. I'f that is true, would it be ideal to shift shortly after that (say 15,500) to again land in that 14,000ish power range in the next gear?

3) What is the stock shift light set to? I know you can reprogram it but I was wondering if I need even to depending on where it's set.

#10 ·
I can't speak for OhioYJ but I know the amount of time and work that goes into a bauceracing tune. Chief is a stand up vendor that bends over backwards for his customers to make sure everything is as they like. Feel free to skim the review thread about Bauce racing tunes before counting him out because he charges money. It truely is a custom tune and is worh every penny.

#11 ·
:fact

He's working on a few tonight. Several hours go into each and every one. This guy is the Bauce for a reason. A true perfectionist, and a specific tune for each and every customer! I can't say enough about Anthony at BAUCE Racing!

#12 ·
I don't deny that Anthony at BAUCE does great work! But for a simple setup like mine (stock 09 just looking for the normal tune i.e. Take off the EPA above 14k rpm 100% throttle de-tune and less engine breaking and smoothing the rpm range throughout plus higher idle) how is his map any different than OhioYJ's? It isn't rocket science. The OEM maps are all preloaded the same so in reality, once an individual makes a "best" map, that map should be identical to upload/flash? What is the price of the BAUCE flash? Where is he located and what's the turn around time? I looked on the website, and unless I'm looking at the wrong site, I can't find any info whatsoever:throwup

#15 ·
the man right below you can answer any and all questions you may have. its not a generic one tune fits all map so thats why there is no listed price. custom tunes cost money, shops dont do that kind of work for free. at the end of the day you can do what you feel is best suited to your needs, im just saying that the money paid for BauceRacing to do a custom tune is worth it. more then a few here seem to agree as well. :cheers

#19 ·
Chief, whats your flash run $ wise?

If you are around the ECUnleashed price...well shit, I have too many expensive hobbies...:bang:

I havent ridden enough to completely fill in the autotune tables, and the last ride showed some lean spots still. Do you help with that? Do you have canned maps to start with?

You obviously have way more experience tuning these than I do, so please dont take these questions as negative...just trying to learn.

Plus, the ECUnleahed tune on my FZ was not even close to perfect, and has required significant data logging and map manipulation to get right. I dont want to have to do that much work again after forking out that much cash.

#20 ·
no way for an outside source to tune the ecu perfect without dyno/test runs.

you said you would really just like to get rid of that 80% limitation, and as far as i know the only way to do that would be to re-flash the ECU, then you could have a tuner fine tune the ecu itself, or you the autotune software you have to dial everything in at that point, with the ability to go WOT.

imho the bauce tune is perfect for street/track rider, but if your experienced racer, you may need to tune the tune to get the best result if you know what i mean.
im sure chief realizes this so his tune is very well priced, and from what ive heard/read everyone has nothing but good things to say. my ecu is actually on its way to Ant atm =]

#22 ·
I've seen so many different opinions/options in regards to ECU flashing it is unreal. I hadn't ever heard of Bauce until I joined the forum (still pretty new,) but I personally bought the ECU module from Flashtune and haven't looked back. Flashed the ECU restrictions myself, loaded a baseline map for my setup, and then took it the guy that has tuned my bike before and had him work out the bugs.

The module runs for $350 bucks and you can flash the 06-13 r6's and the 07-08 R1's.
Not putting Bauce out of the picture, but I tried sending my ECU to JETTuning and didn't have the best results in the world, and since my bike is my only vehicle at the moment, couldn't afford the down time of shipping it out again, which is why I went with Flashtune.

#23 ·
M.leeds11R6 thanks that is definitely an option for some! I too only have my bike as my sole mode of transportation currently. With Bauce out in NJ and me in AZ, I figured there wouldn't be a large enough time gap in which I could ship him my ECU (be without it)! But after communicating with Anthony (da Bauce) personally, he is working out a quick turn around for me as I'll be in SoCal for 6 days. A 5-6 day turn around to ship an ECU from the west coast, flash it and ship it back is customer service.THAT is what sold me on doing it. Well that, and he has a tons of threads with happy customers...that in itself vouches for his work. :secret:cheers I'll post a full write-up after the Holidays of the tune. Getting a -1 front sprocket and BMC race filter as well (which the ECU will be tuned for)

#24 ·
Very nice indeed! JETT is in Cali, Im stationed in Florida, I was without my ECU for almost a week, and I thought I was going to kill myself without my bike and having to ask for rides to work every day :yuk:

I'm going to get my full exhaust (graves), and -1/+2 sprockets when I get back from the desert.

If I could make a suggestion, I would go -1/+2 over just -1 anyday. I had the -1 previously, and disliked it so much that I went back to stock gearing on 520. It only increased the acceleration slightly, and doing pulls from the top of powerband on in a higher gear there was just nothing there, and my bike only topped out at about 135. the +2 in the rear helps to maintain some of the top end, while also increasing the acceleration with the -1.

Just my $.02 though :cheers

#26 ·
**Stock rear is 45 teeth**
Don't get me wrong, -1 is noticable, but minimal. It was pretty annoying getting beat by my daily riding buddies that I would noramlly wax, even from like a 60 roll.

I thought it was just me for a little while, and then talked to some guys in the group I track with that confirmed my suspisions that going JUST -1 in the front is a waste as compared to going -1/+2. My weekend riding buddy has a stock R6 -1/+2 with a speedo healer, and he's topped out 155, and he pulls me pretty much the whole way there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.