Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

riding below 40 degrees

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  m3lover1 
#1 ·
just came back from a 45 min ride below 40 degrees and honestly its not that bad at all. Just gotta wear a lot of layers.

The only problem is my hands! I even wore my north face gloves under my alpinestars gloves. But honestly, after ten mins it really didn't help at all. My hands started hurting so much I couldn't even grab the brakes tightly lol.

I've been told I could wear latex gloves underneath the riding gloves and this would help? and recommendation on latex gloves? or any other ideas, other than heated gloves?

are the tourmaster gloves usually good for cold weather riding?

or should I try wearing my astar gloves under my snowboarding glove? lol

#8 · (Edited)
I have Raynaud's Disease in my fingers - basically it means poor blood circulation, which means while other peoples hands are "normal", my hands are freezing.

So last year I ended up buying these gloves:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-telluride-touring-gloves

They are a cold weather glove, thicker than my Dainese VR46 Sport Gloves. They are insulated to help in the cold.

Coldest I rode in was ~35*F and they worked well for about 15-20 minutes, then my hands started feeling the weather, but that was with no other insulation or latex gloves..etc. Again though, with raynauds in my fingers, even typing on my PC right now my hands are cold.

So honestly, I think a cold-weather specific glove should do the trick!

#9 ·
Latex helps to a point. If your hands start to sweat or get wet in anyway, though, it's all over and your hands get colder than if you didn't wear latex at all. I'd wear them for shorter rides, but not regularly.

#10 ·
heated gloves seems like the only solution....sounds weird but one thing that i found out that helps is putting lotion on your hands a few minutes before you head out..rode out in the cold(about 35) and when i got done with my commute my hands were cracked and bloody cus of the cold(gp tech do not keep you hands warm lol) put lotion on before my next ride and it didnt happen..hands got a little cold but nothing bad like before...idk maybe this just works for me

i have heated gloves now so f you winter

#12 ·
Winter riding is all about keeping your hands warm when you ride a sportbike. Jackets, layers and tucking behind the windscreen all helps with your core. Sort of the same with your feet (except the windscreen part). But your hands are vital for control of the bike. They're also the most exposed. I can deal with any part of me being cold. But cold hands ruin a ride and make it impossible when the temps are below 40.

#14 ·
I've ridden in the 20's before going to work in the morning. Got two baraclavas on...thermal, tshirt, thermal, hoodie, leather jacket. That makes my body decently warm, well barely, but only have the Knox Handroid for gloves. Hands are frozen and numb just after 5 min of riding. And it takes me 25 min to get to work. :nono

Will have to try the latex glove thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.