Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

06 R6 Race/Track

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  m3lover1 
#1 · (Edited)
Azim's 2006 R6 Race Bike Build

So... I could have easily sold my 2006 R6 50th anniversary bike for $5,000 and bought a decent, already prepped track and race bike. But I wanted the challenge of doing everything myself. It may have cost an extra $2,000 or so, but I think it was totally worth it for the experience and self appreciation I had for my bike.

It was a totally stock 2006 R6 50th anni bike. Now it has:

MJS Headers
Hotbodies MGP Slip-on
PCV w/ Autotune
Smog plates
Manual cam chain tensioner
Vortex frame sliders
Vortex clip-ons
Vortex Rearsets
Pazzo shorty levers
PUIG DB windscreen
Galfer SS front braided brake lines
Ohlins steering damper
520 chain and sprocket kid (-1/+2)
Fully safety wired and race prepped

Everything was installed and prepared on my own, the only labour I paid was $20 to have the chain riveted because I lost my tool and didn't want to spend money on another just yet :p

In the end: It may have cost more money, but totally worth the build experience. Before this winter the only thing I ever did on this bike was change the oil. I will definitely buy my next race bike (x-years into the future).

Next step is to either paint or black vinyl wrap the gas tank (probably vinyl wrap in case I want to re-paint the body into the 50th anniversary scheme... love that paint job). Gotta put those side tank panels back on. I'll also be upgrading the suspension sooner or later this season. I'm a lightweight (160lbs) so the stock suspension is sufficient enough for me at the moment; at least until I get a little faster.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!!! :cheers

#5 ·
Update!

I just sent my bodywork out for a repair and paint...... I'm getting the 50th anniversary paint job done and the custom decals later on (to save on painting money).

Also sent out my stock forks for a full Elka piston kit, spring and custom race prep mods on the internals. Rear shock is also out for a new spring, refresh and seals/clicker upgrade.

Also need time to install the new Annitori Quickshifter, BMC race filter and swap out the spark plugs.

Pics to come as soon as I get my bodywork back!

#8 · (Edited)
Flashed ECU
Stock forks went in for an overhaul (piston kit, springs, seals, oil, internal upgrades)
Elka Shock got a new spring and completely re-did the compression and rebound jets/calibrations
Floating/lightened front rotors and race spec rear rotor
New Puig Windscreen

Slowly starting the "re-build" in a week or two, I hope! I should have pics of the 50th anniversary paint scheme next week. It won't have all the decals yet, but should be good!

Getting the bodywork this weekend!

#9 ·
As requested, pictures of the new bodywork. It won't be on the bike until April so you'll have to wait a while for the finished job :p

#10 ·
Colors are very vibrant! Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.