Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

02 tail lights on a 2000 r6! Help Super Nooooob!

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  justjappie 
#1 ·
i bought a r6 without tail lights but the previous owner did give me tail lights, but its from an 02 r6 and my bike is a 2000. Half of the battery tray is cut off. From the ecu to the end there is no battery tray. So im going to have to get a new battery tray. on top of that i dont have top tail plastics, but i do have the bottom one that holds the tail lights from an 02 r6.

My question is What is needed for me to hook the tail lights up because the 02 lights doesn't plug with the wires.

Will i need an 02 battery tray? or will any battery tray from 99 - 02 work?

#4 ·
NO they are not the same. I am having the same problem. I bought a 2000 R6 that was used as a track bike and I am putting it back street. I have found out that the battery for the 99-00 is a YT12B battery. The 01+ use a YT9B. The main difference is the 12b is a 6w x 5 1/8h. The 9b is 6w and 4.x h.

My problem is I ordered fairings from a website and did not specify my bike was a 2000. (NEWB MISTAKE) They sent me 2001 fairings. I thought no biggie I will just change out the battery box and be done. :bash WRONG!!!! Well come to find out my fairings and the new battery box fit together great but now I have had to mod the battery box to fit CDI unit and now I cannot find a battery that will fit in the battery box that will work with my bike.

I have been getting all my parts from http://www.partforyamaha.com/ they have good prices but shipping is kind of high IMO.

So I guess to answer your question no the battery's are not the same between 99-02.

As for the tail light I too am having the same issue. Since I have the 2001 fairings and the double round taillight, my connector is a small rounded triangle looking connector. I am thinking about cutting off the connector on my 00 tail light and splicing it to the wires on the 01 tail light. But I would like to have my battery so I can test and see if it is going to work.

Sorry for the long post. But I hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.