Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2004 R6 fork height

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  8Ball 
#1 ·
Yes, I've searched, and yes I've found some answers. Just want to be 100% sure before I start making adjustments...

Just picked up the bike and it's going to be track use only. Has a 120/70 tire on it and has 25mm of fork tube sticking through the triple clamp. This seems like a crazy amount since from what I can tell, people are typically using 10mm for quick turn in.

Would I be better suited to going towards 10mm, flush, or leaving it at 25mm? I haven't had it at the track yet and am coming from a Ducati with ohlins front/rear that's already been dialed in, so I'm guessing it's going to be a completely different feel and want to have a good baseline to start from when I get it on the track.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that above the triple, or above the clip-on? Clip-ons are mounted above the triple in stock configuration, and the forks are normally flush with the top of the clip-on collar - so you need to take that into account.

25cm above the clip-on would be pretty ridiculous. 25cm above the triple clamp might not be that unreasonable? Measure the height of the clip-on clamp and subtract that from your measurement to find out how far off from stock you are.

#3 ·
Didn't realize the bars are mounted above the triple on these bikes in stock trim...it's got vortex clip ons mounted right now, but in the box of parts I got with the bike there is a stock set that might go to this bike (bought a gsxr and the r6 as a package). Those measure out at 25mm so the forks would be at stock height right now. I'll probably leave them there for the time being and keep the clip ons below the triple to see how it works out.

Thanks for your help!

#6 ·
Its got a set of hotbodies (?) race fairings, are they molded any different than the stock plastics? Either way, I'm not too worried about not being able to go lock to lock since, like you said, doesn't matter on the track.

Is there any distinct advantage running the clip-ons under the triple or is it just personal preference?

#7 ·
the bend of the stock clip on's may be more of an angle as they start above the clamp. most aftermarket are 7deg down, but i don't know what the stockers are. You could try above, but i don't know anyone that runs aftermarket clamps above.

I see you are at JenningsGP :) I have been riding/racing there since 02 when it opened. Have fun. I have vids from there that i think will help you.

#8 ·
Thanks for the heads up...checked your vids out, waayyy above my skill level haha! I'm a high 20's guy at jennings. Still trying to get the hang of things but started getting too scared to wreck my shiny bike so I bought a beater :)

Small world, we even have a mutual friend on facebook..ha

#9 ·
not that ya have to ride at that pace, but shift points, turn in points, lines, etc. should be about the same.. i hear ya about falling down on your best bike. one with some scuffs is ideal for a track day bike.

#11 ·
I used to have my forks on my '03 set about where you have pictured, about 25mm down from the clip ons sitting flush with the fork cap. This was done in conjunction with the rear being lowered as well because i used to go to the drag strip frequently. It did ok in the corners but i noticed a night and day difference when i raised that thing back up to stock height in the front and then went about 1/2" to 1" higher than stock in the rear. It has a long way to go before any hard parts are going to scrape. My recommendation would be raise that front end up and see if you like it as much as i did. Also starting with stock settings is a great baseline for adjustments. Also, if the engineers at Yamaha found some sort of advantage in having the forks lower, they most likely would have sent them that way from the factory... Just my $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.