Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2012 White R6 vinyl decals...

11K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  marketing3 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has removed the skull decals on their 2012 r6. Im tempted to remove mine due to the fact it looks like something off of an Ed Hardy t-shirt, but I want to see what it looks like first. If anyone has any pictures that'd be great.

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks a ton better!

#16 · (Edited)
Some tips, from years of experience removing vinyl from huge bastard sheets of plastic:

Get the entire thing you're working on heated nice, so its kinda sticky everywhere before you even start. It will help when you'd otherwise be struggling half way through.

Then point the gun at what you're working on, every now and then heating what you're going to do next. Too close with the heat, it will rip when you're pulling it back, too far away and it becomes redundant. The trick is to keep as much of it thats still stuck down, as warm as possible.

You'll find the butter zone. Tedious and hard on the fingers, but it will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 ·
I removed mine before I even rode it, the decals on the black/white 2012 look horrible. I stood there at my dealership starring at the all black, and this one for a while trying to make up my mind just picturing this one without all the crap on it.

Peeled them off when I got home, was easy, took about 15 minutes, and cleaned up the little bit of glue afterwards.

Wish they wouldn't have randomly painted the undertail red though, I didn't notice that part until I got home. It'll be black or white shortly.

#19 · (Edited)
i removed half of my decals, as i liked the red R6, but hated the tribal & skulls. The graphics are one piece, so it took some careful xacto knife work, but in the end I was happy with the results:

the graphics came off VERY easily. No heat or solvents necessary. Granted this removal was done in the middle of summer, so the vinyl was perhaps a bit softer than it would be in colder weather.

I would suggest starting the removal without any heat or solvents, to see how it goes. you can always add heat if necessary. no reason to start with it from the beginning if it isn't necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.