Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Newbie looking to at trading from ducati

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  mturo 
#1 · (Edited)
I currently have a Ducati monster 750 and i am looking for something different. Really want a R6 or Fz6, well today a guy offered a 2003 r6 with 22k miles on it. Is there anything i should be concerned about with the year or mileage? I know the first major maintenance is scheduled for 26k.

Located in Houston

I will post pics of the Ducati incase people ask for them

See less See more
#6 ·
I know nuthing about duc's but isnt your duc worth more than a 03 R6 with that many miles.
You'd think, right? That duc isn't bad lookin... Maybe one of these days... Something for the streets... Course I think I'll have a couple trackbike's before I worry about possibly getting back on the streets... If I EVER do...

Good luck OP... I for one, think you could do a lot better than an 03 for a Duc... Course I don't know what year, miles, etc your bike has... Seems you'd be better off selling the Duc and shopping around for a newer R6 with less miles. Course if you're not looking for a super sporty machine, for hard/spirited rides or track use, the FZ or similar would probably more suited for commuting and such...

#7 ·
There was a factory recall on the coils and axle nut. It can still be done at a dealership for free if it hasn't been done yet. Take it for a ride. Since you already have some experience riding a bike, you should be able to tell if there is something seriously wrong with it (bent frame, tweaked forks, weak clutch, etc). Try to coax some information. Why is he getting rid of it? How often did he change the oil? Did he race or stunt it? Etc. Pay close attention to what you see (scraped pegs, damaged body work, etc) vs. what he says.

My bike has around 19k. The engine is still solid and the clutch is really tight. Aside from a bent frame, you can basically fix everything yourself. Cheap used parts are everywhere and there is a lot of documented knowledge on the 2nd gens.

#9 ·
There was a factory recall on the coils and axle nut. It can still be done at a dealership for free if it hasn't been done yet. Take it for a ride. Since you already have some experience riding a bike, you should be able to tell if there is something seriously wrong with it (bent frame, tweaked forks, weak clutch, etc). Try to coax some information. Why is he getting rid of it? How often did he change the oil? Did he race or stunt it? Etc. Pay close attention to what you see (scraped pegs, damaged body work, etc) vs. what he says.

My bike has around 19k. The engine is still solid and the clutch is really tight. Aside from a bent frame, you can basically fix everything yourself. Cheap used parts are everywhere and there is a lot of documented knowledge on the 2nd gens.
Thanks this is good information that i was looking for. :YEA

#13 ·
:wave

#19 ·
Take a guess as to what happened.....

if you guess the bike started taking a shit when i got there you would be correct. filled the tank up and rode to the meet spot everything fine, talk to the guy for a bit he jumps on the bike fires it up idles for like 30 sec then dies. Did it the whole way back home guessing it was bad gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.