Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

I still love her....but a cold start on these bikes are pathetic : /

13K views 187 replies 38 participants last post by  VK56DEHAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Just realized that my thread title has horrible grammar.

Ok so after having the bike for a few months this is really getting super annoying. My battery is brand new and is not the issue. The motor takes forever (6-7 cranks ~ 4 seconds) to crank over when cold...and when it does crank over, it limps up and doesn't even attempt to cold choke! She limps up to 1000-12 then 1300rpm-ish and just stays there barely running. No cold choke no nothing. Bike just doesn't feel "strong" starting AT ALL...to top it off, these bikes make a lot of chatter upon cold start. To top THAT off, all the talk about these motors having notoriously, dangerously low oil psi at start and idle makes me wonder why I switched from a bomb-proof honda motor to a Yamaha. Weak start, no cold choke, chatter along side low psi all equals :confused::thumbdown Now don't get me wrong, once the bike is warmed and at operating temp she runs and starts great! (Despite the stock low idle of 1200...which needs to be more like 1800) but cold start the motor just feels like it's limping along from a long nap. My 08 CBR RR would fire up like a bat out of hell and cold choke itself down from 2200rpm until it was happy and warmed...not this R6.

Please don't say that there is something mechanically "wrong" because there simply isn't. I've read people noticing this exact characteristic of other 08+'s.

This bothers me for two reasons.
1) The bike cold cranks for 4+ seconds, embarrassing. Feels and sounds like a beater bike that can't start.

2) There's obviously not oil/lubrication in all of the moving parts in cold motor. Cranking this long with 0 psi as well as all the chatter I hear coupled with the motor's characteristic of having low oil psi really doesn't sit well with me.

Any words of wisdom? Does your 08+ do this? Any education on what I've said here would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#110 ·
Woah really the plugs are recommended to be replaced at only 8k?! I know everyone's plugs will wear differently based on riding, but for those of you who changed em out at 8K did you notice any of them fouled? Explain the purpose of block off plates. Thanks

#111 ·
Block offs are not needed if you don't have a fuel management system .... Since you have a stock exhaust you won't benefit from block offs. Search the forum for block offs and you shall find your answer. They are a must if you swap out your exhaust or use a fuel management system.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#112 ·
This guy really enjoys the emocons. :mad::fact:sing:popcorn::drink:lmao:toocool:

#114 ·
If that is true, then I cannot get enough penis.

Sent from my scrotum using Motorcycle.com Free App

#115 ·
bro.. the quality of the battery means alot..

look at it this way... even tho both batterys are same spec..

as an example say you have 2 double AA batteries.. one is DURACELL and the other is CHINACELL

which one do you think will last longer and better ?

you got a megaboost and you comparing it to a yuasa ? maybe try to get your battery load tested at the bike shop ?

#117 ·
[/QUOTE]

Dude, almost positive you have a battery issue. You get what you pay for. Megaboost < OEM Yuasa. I have the same bike as you and live in the great white North (Canada). A few times this fall, I rode the bike every other week and it fired right up! R6's do not have a cold start problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

#135 ·
In addition, HIGH compression engines (like ours 13:1:1) start harder than lower compression engines as well...I understand the concept. I think my 3 month old cyclegear "Megaboost" lifetime warranty replacement battery is the culprit..it states it's the same specs as the OEM Yuasa...but I have a hunch the cranking amps/power is not as strong as it claims.

#139 ·
Ok so I called cyclegear to have them put a new CTZ10S MegaBoost replacement on the charger so it's topped off/fully charged when I pick it up tonight at 6pm. Question, the guy said that the batterys come ~80% charged. Does that sound right? Is 6hrs enough time to totally top the battery off? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not savvy on how motorcycle charging works etc

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/batteries/web1004456

#142 · (Edited)
Well last night the kid at cyclegear forgot to charge the new megaboost battery so I told him I'll pick it up today as he can charge it overnight. I'm going to get it/install it in a few hours here.

I have a hunch that these megaboost batterys don't have the same cranking amps/power that a stock Yuasa does...even though they state the same specs...and possibly that's why I'm noticing such cold weak starts...? Think that's a valid theory? If this brand new topped off megaboost battery doesn't solve the cold start issue I'm having, I think I may see if he will swap it for a Yuasa and then I'll REALLY know if it's just a characteristic of the bike or it was a battery brand issue/cranking power issue

You see my dilemma is that some of you on here are stating that the long cranking/weak start up is normal while others are saying their's fires up strong (cold choke 2000 rpm) in 2 seconds in 20 degree weather after 3 days.

#145 ·
dude just get an 8 cell and be done with it...

#146 · (Edited)
I wish...I already paid for the cyclegear megaboost, so if this new one doesn't fit the bill, I may just swap over to the OEM Yuasa bc cyclegear will only give me store credit and they stock Yuasa. That or I think I saw a ballistic there on the shelf? I'd rather say fu$* my lifetime warranty if I get a better battery for a few years (referring to Yuasa or Ballistic cold cranking amps etc...)

#147 ·
From what I've noticed it is definitely a common thing. I bought my bike in March when it was still a little cold and it still did it. Once it gets warmed up though, it starts IMMEDIATELY everytime.

As far as the low oil pressure light, I only had it come on once in the two years Ive had the bike (and I have almost 20,000 miles on it.) I started it up one morning and was in a hurry to get to work so as soon as the idle leveled out I took off. It came on and I got scared and made sure I was riding low RPMs, and as soon as the temp hit like 130 it went right off.

Never had any issues besides that.

#148 ·
Brand new battery, no change in cold start up. Still cranks for a while and limps up to idle. Never does this when warmed, fires right up strong. Guess it's just a quirk of these bikes!:dunce: I'll post up a video tomorrow morning, after it's been sitting overnight.

#149 · (Edited)
I've read about half the responses and can't believe the no one has mentioned this.

Dude needs to get a battery tender! It sounds like the problem is not enough juice in the battery for a really solid crank. All bikes/cars do that when the battery is not full. A battery tender keeps full charge on the battery so it starts first time every time. A battery tender jr. only costs about 15 bucks.

Other symptoms that may contribute:
1. A bad/off brand battery (pay the extra money and get a stock YUASA battery, they work).
2. An electrical drain somewhere. (track it down and get rid of it)

#150 ·
I've read about half the responses and can't believe the no one has mentioned this.

Dude needs to get a battery tender! It sounds like the problem is not enough juice in the battery for a really solid crank. All bikes/cars do that when the battery is not full. A battery tender keeps full charge on the battery so it starts first time every time. A battery tender jr. only costs about 15 bucks.
They are more than $15. Not much more, but $15 is not what a jr costs

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#156 ·
I'd say just go back to Cycle Gear and tell them you are having issues with the battery holding a charge and want to exchange or just return it and get a new battery. If they are like the one here they'll realize they just can't help you and will give you what you want.

I ride daily/commute and mine is parked either just outside the garage or inside an un-heated garage. Even when the temps dipped below 30 and I forgot to hook the bike up she started the next day (iced over and everything) no problem.

#157 · (Edited)
Ya I think they may just try and replace it...with another megaboost. Which is what I don't want. When your temps dipped down and you started her up cold the next morning, does she fire/turn RIGHT over...as in within 2-3 seconds? Bc what I'm experiencing is just a weak a$$ crank (that does however always fire the bike up.) Just doesn't feel and sound right.

#158 ·
Yea, when I start it up there's no hesitation. Only when it was covered in ice was it ever the tiniest bit slow. But that was more because everything was frozen. It had got down into the 20's and I was on a trip in the mountains and the entire bike was covered in ice. It was only 27 when I cranked her up that morning. That was a cold ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.