Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Commuter back pack & cold/rain gear HELP

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  coreski 
#1 ·
I opt to daily my r6 more then I do my truck. That being said I live in south Florida which means a bright sunny day can randomly turn into a rainy one. Secondly I've been looking around for a back pack for commuting that would fit my rain gear in it as well as other things I would like to keep dry so it being water proof/resistant is a must. Lastly the weather down here is getting colder so was curious what is the best route to go for colder weather in the 40-55 degree range as far as gear goes.

What I'm looking for:
Rain gear
Water-resistant commuting back pack
Gear for a chilly ride

Figured this forum was my best bet as I'm sure there are some of you who have bought some of the items that fall into my category of needs and have either hated the item or loved it. Looking for that knowledge :toocool:

Thanks in advance !

-Dan

#2 ·
i have a sierra high bag that has a water proof high vis shell that holds a lot of stuff, ill figure out which model it is in the morn.

layers bro. get some long johns or underarmour, then an insulating layer, then something to break the wind. what kind of jacket do you ride in now?

#3 ·
I'll be waiting for that model number :D. The jacket I wear is the alpinestars T-gp plus air textile which was great for summer with it's ventilation but now with the 50 degree weather we've been having lately it's been getting chilly on the highway. Didn't know if I could layer and stick with this jacket or If i should go with a whole different jacket setup entirely. This is my first year still with the bike so I'm taking in all the experience and knowledge I can from you guys.

off topic, in the next few months I should be getting ready to prep the bike for the track :D

#4 ·
what track?
for my first winter i made it with a textile jacket. i just wore a big camo jacket over it. one that was wind/water proof and it helps a lot

#6 ·
For rain gear I just use rain pants and jacket from Gander Mountain, so far I havent had a problem. I cant speak on backpacks but I bought theJoe Rocket Manta tank bag (should've opted for the Manta XL). It holds my rain gear fine but you wont fit much else in it and it comes with a waterproof cover which even in torrential downpour none of my stuff has gotten wet at all.

#8 ·
Not sure how cold it gets in FL, but I have me some Knox Cold Killers from when I was in Japan. I did use my Rev'itt under layer for my track suit, but when that wasn't enough for the Japan winters (mind you, it gets really cold up in the mountains with some snow too) I opted for the Knox gear. I have the sport pants, sport top, under gloves, and the hood. Doubt it gets that cold out in FL, but the Knox stuff is great and it holds up well against wind & rain.

For the rain I have a revvit rain suit. Has holes for knee pucks and everything. You will sweat your ASS off in a rain suit tho. Just an FYI.
Looks like you doin' good in the rain Ant.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Motorcycle.com App

#10 ·
Thanks for the fast responses guys. The tracks ill be going to is palm beach international race way and homestead raceway. Chief i may take you up on that offer, going to check the bag out online. Also gonna check out the rain suit since id be able to use it on the track and the street so thats a plus. I think im going to head to cycle gear and try to find a textile with a warm liner as well as a rain liner. Having just one jacket for everyday use has made the jacket start to smell funky after so long lol. Chief what do you sell? I see your a vendor

#15 ·
I can get/sell just about anything. I prefer to sell certain stuff, but whatever you're looking for lemme know.

The only things that are tough to get the pricing right for you guys is tires and apparel/gear.

We've recently signed on with NEXX Helmets (what I wear) and a ton of other stuff.

I sell a lot of Motul, Vortex, Woodcraft, EBC Brakes and Ferodo/braketech brakes, and a ton of Stahlbus speed bleeders, and oil drain valves.

There's plenty of other stuff too, like right now we have a good sale/deal on winterization kits and battery tenders, etc.

#12 ·
#14 ·
sucks that its blue foo

#18 ·
I used the Icon Squad II bag for some commuting.... Waterproof, Laptop Sleeve and lots of space. For me the best feature was it didn't move around. Loaded up or Empty.

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=265

For waterproofs,

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=156

They have the matching pants as well. Kept my dry in some serious downpour
http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=254

I first had just the jacket and some different pants that were not bib style, and I could feel the water going right down my crack and eventually down my pants and into my boot.. After i picked up the Bib pants that never happened again.

#19 ·
Aerostich makes top of the line rain/touring suits. I got one their suits and took it around the country, 10k miles in about a month. Saw snow, hail, sleet in the Rockies. A thunderstorm or two on the east coast. Stayed bone dry through all of it. They're pricey though. They're built to go over your clothes, and they go on and off really fast. They keep you pretty damn warm, but if it's dry and you need to cool off, they have a ton of vents that make a big difference. They supposedly crash pretty damn well for being textile as well - and you could easily wear it over a well fit leather jacket if you want the extra protection.

I have a Kreiga R30 backpack for commuting. Also very thoroughly waterproof, but also pretty damn pricey. (This one was at least a gift.)

#21 ·
Yeah ive been trying to decide between kreiga or the icon squad ii. Cost is a factor but the bag being truly waterproof is the most important part to me so im leaning towards the kreiga. Also thinking of swapping my a star gear out for dainese. After looking at some photos of wrecks and the gear after im a little nervous to wear a star

#22 ·
I've got an Icon Squad 2 Milspec backpack (don't use the arm straps) cause it's convenient to have for getting on base and it's a decent bag; does the job for the most part. I'll use it every now and then if I need to carry some stuff around while riding too. Don't think it's waterproof though.

Edit: If I really need a dedicated bag for commuting, Kriega would be my first choice.

#23 ·
I have the squad II bag, I have been in some good rain and so far everything has been nice and dry, just could be good luck.
You can see the water beading on it when you take it off. Especially around the HI Vis areas
I also love the spare visor pocket, I need tinted in the mornings from the sun and I keep my clear in bag for nights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.