Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

100 Miles and Damn Nail in back tire

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  ty1five1 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, like the title says, I made it a whole 103 miles on my 2012 R6 GP edition and got back to work today after lunch and what do you know, a nasty nail in the thing. So it looks like I need a new rear tire. I'm not an aggressive rider and will probably own chicken strips my entire life, but still would like to have a good tire put back on there.

I look forward to all your suggestions.

I live in Henderson, NV so it doesn't get that cold and will need something that does well in the hot summers as well.

Thanks in advance.

Can this be plugged? It does have a bubble in the tire as well right next to nail.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's probably a blessing if you're on OEM tires. :laugh

Power pures are my favorite for the $$

Q2's are cheaper and people like them too.

If you have $$ and can afford em, the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP is the tire to have.

The S20's are also affordable right now and perform very well too. i was able to get a decent deal on em for Milko recently

#5 ·
I don't mind spending the money but do you think I would really use the Pirelli's to their potential. I mean this is my 3rd R6 and I'm a descent rider, but I'll never put a knee down any time soon so I don't need an ultra grip tire...if that makes sense.

Just such crappy luck with a whole 103 miles on it.

#13 ·
Plug it. Light the plug on fire so it melts into a great seal. Ride off and let it spin over once or twice. Then come back and pour water on it to see if it bubbles out of there.

Stay out of construction zones or anywhere that may have nails and shit.

Everything high performance and expensive is like a nail magnet!!!!

#15 ·
Best way to fix a puntire is to patch it. This requires you to remove the tire and put the patch from inside. It's most reliable way to repair the tire.

I got a nail in my tire couple months ago when it had about 1,000 miles. The tire was patched from inside. To date (about 5,000 miles later),no issues, no air leaks, no worries, tho the good part was that the nail was in the dead center of the tire.

That said, if you have a bubble, then i the tire is shot and you are better off replacing it.

I do recommend power pures for street riding. Im almost done with second set and third set is already waiting in the garage to be put on before next season.

#17 ·
I gotten a couple of nails on my rear S20.

Luckily, they both never punctured through. I just grabbed the nails with some pliers and yanked them out. I also though I had to replace my tire just after I have recently got them installed. :nono

The bulge is probably the nail coming back out and didnt punctured through. It could save you a trip to the tire shop.

#20 ·
Had the same exact thing happen to me but at the 1000 mile mark and with the front. Didn't puncture through but, in my mind, especially on a two wheeled machine, the only thing keeping you on the road are those tires. I would just replace it.

Never risk a patch/plug failing. Get rid of stock tires. Get more grip from better shoes.

Profit.

#23 ·
I'm riding a patched q2 now. Its been about 3k miles and a track day since I popped it. You know what sucks worse than a nail? A splinter...that's what popped my tire.

Attachments

#25 ·
I had this happen to my rear s20 after 60 miles so I feel your pain!

I felt more confident just replacing it and I sold my punctured one locally on craigslist for $60. The piece of mind you lose with patching/plugging it just wasn't worth it to me, but I also was going out to the track the next weekend.

I would just replace it, and sell the "old" one locally! S20's are super cheap right now, and you really wouldn't need to replace the front, consider the mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.