2002 R6 Cylinder 2 not firing help pls : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 04-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
2002 R6 Cylinder 2 not firing help pls

In short:

pulled carbs to rejet, put on factory pro velocity stacks, cleaned air filter, sprocket chain kit, new seat, battery tender quick disconnect cable etc..

Changed spark plugs. Checked gap, didn't modify it or anything it was within spec. Now the second cylinder in the bike is not firing. I bought a new spark plug and put it in and same story. 2nd cylinder pipe is cold and the spark plug smells of unburnt fuel. Switched the coil from #2 to #3 and same problem in cylinder 2. So it appears to not be the coil..

Stumped

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 04-12-2010 at 04:22 PM.
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Got20z
2007 R6

Bike: 07 R6, 05 V-Star 1100
Send a message via Yahoo to Got20z
Re: 2002 R6 Cylinder 2 not firing help pls

I am 99% sure the plugs are pre-gapped, so yea you're fine there... sounds like maybe a connection issue near the coil, maybe just check everything really good again?
Got20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BlueR6 View Post
I am 99% sure the plugs are pre-gapped, so yea you're fine there... sounds like maybe a connection issue near the coil, maybe just check everything really good again?
I was hoping it was just a beat connection too. they all look secure. Checked all the plugs and wires to and from the cdi and all the connections by the frame on the right side. Everything appears to be ok. It's not like the coil coupler wire is black or anything.

When I rode it, it had no power and sounded like a wrx so i felt the pipes and the #2 was cold. I can see the gas spraying in the carb and the plug smelt like fuel so im 99% sure I have no spark in the #2 cylinder

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Anyone out there with some suggestions or ideas?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
motox
CCS #164

Bike: 2001 R6 2008 ZX6R

you could be flooding cylinder 2 causing some fuel ignition but not enough to burn all of it... did you open the float bowls when you did the jetting? check your float needles if so.

though, the other day i had a cylinder not fire after tuning the carbs a bit for warmer weather. i found out by spraying a cleaner i had lying around on the headers and you could tell the cold cylinder by how fast the liquid evaporated. i solved this by switching the coils to opposite cylinders and checked the harness/coil connection for corrosion. i also made sure to leave the coils unplugged while installing and twist them in a clockwise motion while pushing down with some force. there are threads on the spark plug tip that grip inside the coils, afaik. then, plug the harness back into the coils (making sure to plug them into the correct coil! the connector furthest down the wire should be the cylinder on the left side of the bike, and so on.) hope this helps...
motox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox View Post
you could be flooding cylinder 2 causing some fuel ignition but not enough to burn all of it... did you open the float bowls when you did the jetting? check your float needles if so.

though, the other day i had a cylinder not fire after tuning the carbs a bit for warmer weather. i found out by spraying a cleaner i had lying around on the headers and you could tell the cold cylinder by how fast the liquid evaporated. i solved this by switching the coils to opposite cylinders and checked the harness/coil connection for corrosion. i also made sure to leave the coils unplugged while installing and twist them in a clockwise motion while pushing down with some force. there are threads on the spark plug tip that grip inside the coils, afaik. then, plug the harness back into the coils (making sure to plug them into the correct coil! the connector furthest down the wire should be the cylinder on the left side of the bike, and so on.) hope this helps...
I definitely took the float bowls off, but didn't disturb the floats at all. I just put the main jets in, removed the pilots, cleaned em up and out. Then I installed the needle being sure to not ruin the diaphrams. The carbs were really clean except one of the pilot jets, so I didn't get crazy with tearing them down.

I can try and reset them all and then connect the cable afterwards. When I have the bike runnning with the carbs exposed I can see the gas spraying in gently from the pilot, looks equal with the other carbs.. I definitely have em plugged into the right coils, cause its in a line and I took close note to be sure to put it back the same. I'll run a search on coil installation, but I feel like if that were the case, I would have more of an issue with the other cylinders. I felt the coil click like 7 times as I was pushing it onto the spark plug.

Dude, thx a lot for reading all this and offering some help. I'm freakin out!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Figured I'd bump this thread to see if anyone could help.

I know there's a different crew on here during the day. I'd REALLY appreciate any info or suggestions. I couldn't even sleep cause this sucks so bad

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
d21spike
Shiny side up

Bike: 2005 R6
Send a message via AIM to d21spike

Try using a multimeter to check if the coil is getting power, just a guess.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
auditude
r6 fighterer

Bike: 2000 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21spike View Post
Try using a multimeter to check if the coil is getting power, just a guess.
Agreed. Sounds like a wiring issue, maybe a wire broke during the process. I'm pretty sure you should be able to use a test light to check operation at the coil connector.
auditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: some stupid ones

If I am not mistaken, the first generation r6 had some issues with the coils going bad, but I am not positive. I would get out the manual and the multimeter and test the coil.... It could also be a poor ground on the coil.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

www.edrperformance.com
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement