Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HOW TO: $4-$15 Third Eye/3rd Eye Mod (o8+) (pic heavy)

26K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  1Up_R6 
#1 · (Edited)
First off i know there is another one here at http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85236 all good and all but there are no pictures and its a couple of years old.... Any way here we go...

As title says is a $4-$15 mod mostly waiting and patience...
List of Things needed
9Volt battery (D or C?)
Your choice of colored LED Bulbs
Got mine at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&item=280634214128&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT They are 2.99 Free shipping USA seller.
This is going to piss some of you off but you'll need the Stock license plate bracket (understand why in a bit).
A Drill with 3/8 and 1/2 inch drill bits.
Some Locktite semi permanent adhesive.
Third Eye from 08+ Nose piece.
Some 18-14 Gauge wire splices (Harbor Freight has them for 5.99 for 50).
Patience and some drinks...
The third eye i bought on the forum is from an 08 my bike is a 2010

HOW TO TIME!!!!:toocool:Before you ask thats my dads hand:sing
Depending on where you get your items and how much time you actually have to do this mod its cheap and effective.

Step OneTake apart your Fairings to get to the nose piece http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84682 For how to i didn't take any pictures really no need to when someone else already had a how to.
Now that you have your Third Eye

Go grab your Stock license plate bracket.

Step Two
With the stock bracket tear it all apart until you have to the wiring harness for the license plate light. (it has little bullet adapters)

Step Three
Grab the bulbs you got off of eBay and throw them in the harness.

Find out which wire is positive and which is negative and more the negative.

Step Four
Line up the drill you have using the 3/8bit right behind the Yamaha symbol on the front of the third eye, Drill slow slow slow so you dont melt the plastic and you get a decent idea of where your hole is ending up.

Once you have your hole drilled with the 3/8 move up to the 1/2 Drill bit and widen the hole till the light and harness barely fits.

Step Five
Before throwing your light and harness in your new hole make sure you secure the light within the harness with some semi-permanent adhesive... in my case we used some locktite waterproof stick & seal.

Let the sealant dry and double check that your light is working. If it is not remove the light and sealant clean off the contacts and use less adhesive.

Step Six
THROW THAT BITCH IN THERE:lmao
Get your choice of lubricant and slowly work the harness with the bulb in the hole you have made. (some sort of non water based lube only)

Double check that your light is working after you put the harness in the hole

If your light is not working pull it out and secure it to the contacts then try placing it in the hole but go slower

Step 7?

Go back to the tutorial http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84682 and reverse the process.
When reassembling route your wiring harness for the third eye so there are no kinks or major bends or else you will lose continuity.

Sadly i dont have any picture of the wiring process as this is purely preference per each person. In other words after you have your wiring harness routed properly choose your own choice as how to wire it.

I put mine with my running lights.

Final Product
Currently i only have Day shots i will post some night shots when it gets dark out here in DFW.

Night Pics

:toocool:Thanks for looking any info or questions just ask me ill be more than happy to help:toocool:

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: $4-$15 Third Eye/3rd Eye Mod (o8+) (pic heavy)

night pics?

#8 ·

Nice writeup! Where did u get the 3rd eye from? I think I might have to do this in red on my bike. Anyone have trouble with the cops for running blue/red lights in there?

Oh, and your rings are very...distracting.

#9 ·

Nice writeup! Where did u get the 3rd eye from? I think I might have to do this in red on my bike. Anyone have trouble with the cops for running blue/red lights in there?

Oh, and your rings are very...distracting.
not my rings lol they are my dads and this is for 08+ models the third eye i bought from another member after i baked mine.... and i have not received any issues with local PD on running the blue actually had a sheriff say he thought it was cool at when i was at walmart :cool:

#16 ·
Come down to Houston and do the mod for me, thanks
I can do it for ya Sherman... :secret

I've been doing this mod for a long time, and know a much better way... ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle App

#13 ·

Good write up, super easy to do this....assuming you already have your headlight assembly apart :toocool:

#15 · (Edited)

Pretty much what I did on mine and a friends, but used 06/07 light.

I took a third light out of a 07.
Removed the bulb and wiring harness part.
Drilled a hole just like yours into my 09 light.
Wired to the running lights.

One thing I like about the 06/07 bulb assembly is that it has a rubber boot and just pops into the drilled hole and will never come out, unless pulled. No glue required.

The only problem is I used the stock bulb from the 07 and it is yellowish. I don't feel like tearing it all apart to just change a bulb right now. When I did my friends a bought a nice led bulb that is pure white.

Each bike cost roughly $10 for a used 06/07 third light assembly

#27 ·
So on all the bikes the 3rd eye doesnt light? My 06 does. So im assuming the original owner did something like to it
The 06 & 07 light up from the factory. 08+ you haft to wire up to light.

"It just doesn't matter"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.