horrible rider. - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.
Re: horrible rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefar6 View Post
this is kinda what im thinking.
i also listened to someone real fast running same tires/ and dropped my tire pressures that day.
Running 20psi rear 25 in the front, and i really think that contributed to it, shoulda left it at 30-31 front.

tires were a gpa slick in the rear and a gpa kr449 in the front, brand new front and 2 TD on the rear
I'm not surprised your front folded.. That's pretty effing low dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
Hard to tell from the video, but it looked and sounded to me like many of your handle bar and control inputs were fairly abrupt. Also saw front fork movement that was maybe suspect. With that in mind, I'd think you had poor traction, not-optimal fork set-up, then added a bunch of handle bar input at an inappropriate time.

My 2 cents. Back down the speed a little is my suggestion. Figure out what when wrong, then work back up to pace.
This. This is what my goal was this season after a couple crashes last year, and I've become a lot faster and more comfortable because of it.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

28 cold in the front shooting for 31-32 hot psi is usually the goal. 25 cold is a little low but should only make the bike unsettled and lethargic on direction changes. I wouldn't put it on low tire pressure for that spill.

I saw you do it a few other times at different turns. You let off the gas mid turn. This is of course a no no. In this video I see that you let off the gas a little bit and then more lean angle was added. Then as quick as you can say shit, the bike finished the job for you. But as far as I can tell you let off the gas just before you tipped in a little more. That is the quick way to make a front tire mad. The low tire pressure may have exacerbated the the potential, but it was the throttle input that was the nail in the coffin.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
Honey Badger
just don't care

Bike: '02 R6 (track); '05 ZX10R

I'm no expert, but what I saw was that you were on and off the throttle mid corners fairly often (especially on the longer corners) and on this particular one you rolled off (loading the front end) then decide to add lean angle and throttle at the same time. Because I had/have a habit of that myself, I tend to pay a fair bit of attention to the whole "don't add lean angle and throttle" bit.

On the quicker corners you're okay, coming up to the slow part of the corner then taking away lean angle as you're applying the throttle, but on the longer "patience" corners you seem to toss that out the window.

If you're crashing what you consider frequently, then you're doing something wrong and you need to figure out what it is and slow down till you correct it.

Tire pressures probably didn't help you any, and running them that far off may make a tire give out when modern rubber technology could have otherwise saved you from yourself.
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Am I the only rider who successfully lets on and off the gas during a turn?

I am saying this jokingly, cause when you read this thread it reads as if it's the end all, be all of moves that guarantees a crash. When at Jennings, I started to even get comfortable braking mid turn to tighten up my apex to T11. Getting off the gas shouldn't wipe the front end out at an advanced pace when the lean angle isn't maxed out, etc.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 11-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
tfs32
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefar6 View Post
this is kinda what im thinking.
i also listened to someone real fast running same tires/ and dropped my tire pressures that day.
Running 20psi rear 25 in the front, and i really think that contributed to it, shoulda left it at 30-31 front.

tires were a gpa slick in the rear and a gpa kr449 in the front, brand new front and 2 TD on the rear
I did not read everyone's post, this one caught my eye and I felt I Had to reply, your pressure was WAY too low, and at the pace you were riding, it would have been hard to keep heat in that tire. So no matter what this was the issue, it is the first thing I came to when I watched the video, the front tire never tucked, it folded in on its self.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Thanks to my 2014 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at https://www.facebook.com/TSpeckerracing
tfs32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
tfs32
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

I am saying this jokingly, cause when you read this thread it reads as if it's the end all, be all of moves that guarantees a crash. When at Jennings, I started to even get comfortable braking mid turn to tighten up my apex to T11. Getting off the gas shouldn't wipe the front end out at an advanced pace when the lean angle isn't maxed out, etc.
I am on and off all the time, never had an issue.

Thanks to my 2014 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at https://www.facebook.com/TSpeckerracing
tfs32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #27
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
I did not read everyone's post, this one caught my eye and I felt I Had to reply, your pressure was WAY too low, and at the pace you were riding, it would have been hard to keep heat in that tire. So no matter what this was the issue, it is the first thing I came to when I watched the video, the front tire never tucked, it folded in on its self.

I hate that pinching feeling. And it ain't easy to pinch a GPA either!! The UK ones are a whole different story though. The carcass is way softer. It almost looks like a V cup too vs the shit we had to run at AMA this season..

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
I am on and off all the time, never had an issue.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Could you explain the difference between those two things? They sound like the same thing to me.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

^ this.

im not a new rider.. the corner worker that witnessed it posted on the local forums here too, i was not at max lean angle, even though the cam looks pretty low.
second, there is a big difference between completely rolling off throttle, and easing off a bit to avoid bumps/seams/going wide. i do it all the time when my suspension gets really upset going over some of the transitions on our tracks.

im just glad i learned something and the bike is barely hurt.

just waiting for next season now, dont think ill get any seat time this year.

Thanks for the replies guys , im gonna blame it on the rider and live with it.