Foot Peg Position, Turning - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
BlanksR6
Wishing I was in PA

Bike: 2004 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Dont think about it just do it lol. I rode mx for 10 years before I heard about gp shift pattern. The hardest part is coming to a stop sign/light. You'll be clicking down then try to take off and realize you're in 6th lol

I use mostly on the street but it helps more in a track situation where you're trying to shift while leaned over. Give it a try, it'll take you 2 min to convert it.
Hahaha that would happen alot to me, tryin to start goin in 6th maybe 7th haha man idk, i see myself having all sorts of complications with that. I might try it tho & see how it works out. I think if i was hittin the track id set it up that way. Thanks bra. Still buggin me out tho lol

Sent from space
BlanksR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
maddagascar
I eat my R6

Re: Foot Peg Position, Turning

i can't seem to figure out that when i positon my foot on the footpeg on my left, i seem to drag the very top of my kneepucks. it's really weird. like my knee is pointing "downward" but when i'm leaned on my right its fine.

i've always been taught, point your knee where you want to go, but seem to see others keep there knee more in when leaning to get leaned over more..?

Build Thread: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184217
maddagascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddagascar View Post
i can't seem to figure out that when i positon my foot on the footpeg on my left, i seem to drag the very top of my kneepucks. it's really weird. like my knee is pointing "downward" but when i'm leaned on my right its fine.

i've always been taught, point your knee where you want to go, but seem to see others keep there knee more in when leaning to get leaned over more..?
Could just be the pucks. On my suit the whole knee is one big Velcro thing so its possible to have the pucks where they could wear differently.

It really comes down to what works for you.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #24
theturtle7023
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddagascar View Post

Yea, that was happening to me, its almost like the puck needs to be higher up. Then I started going faster and leaning the bike lower, and as the bike goes lower, you pull your knee in and it hits the full surface of the puck. I'm assuming you are in the stage where your knee goes down occasionally, or only in certain corners, and not on a consistent basis with almost every turn?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #25
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle7023 View Post
Yea, that was happening to me, its almost like the puck needs to be higher up. Then I started going faster and leaning the bike lower, and as the bike goes lower, you pull your knee in and it hits the full surface of the puck. I'm assuming you are in the stage where your knee goes down occasionally, or only in certain corners, and not on a consistent basis with almost every turn?
So if mine are dragging the bottom half I need to lean more and pull my knee in some? Ive just been practicing in a parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1348162420125.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	84254  

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #26
theturtle7023
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
So if mine are dragging the bottom half I need to lean more and pull my knee in some? Ive just been practicing in a parking lot.
I'm no expert, but I'd say your knee is up pretty high already if its dragging on the bottom of the puck, which probably means you have your lower body off the bike, but your upper body still over the tank. Again, no expert, but if you picture the contact points, and how they would react from the movement of body parts, this is the conclusion I get. Either that or you are flying around the parking lot!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
This!
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
maddagascar
I eat my R6

Quote:
my knee puck is as high as it will go, it rubs on on my leather! i'ms ure it's bad knee positioning, but i'll try to keep it in next time. i actually literally point my knee where i want to go and lean.

i'm riding intermediate tetering almost to advance pace. i'll take pics when i get home.

Build Thread: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184217
maddagascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
RSICKS ATL
Get you some!

Bike: 08 R6
As I was riding today, I noticed myself pulling on my bars to help lift my bike out of turns and shift my body from side to side. I have my foot positions down, I think, but caught myself tugging on my bars and briefly remembered "stay light on the bars." How do you guys stand your bike back up coming out of a turn and lean into a turn going to opposite direction (left then right) and/or shift your body from left to right and vice versa? Using your legs, throttle, etc?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is off topic for this thread.

Sent from my iPad 3
2008 R6 Raven - Mods - Bauce Racing ECU Flash : Gutted header : MJS Mid-pipe : Carbon Scorpion Powercone slip-on : -1 Front Sprocket : AGG Smog Block Offs : BMC Street Filter : TechSpec Snakeskin tank grips : MotoDynamic Smoked Integrated tail light : Smoked LED flush mounts : LP Racing No-Cut Frame Sliders : Swingarm Spools : Renthal Road Race Dual Compounds : Graves Billet Bar-ends : 07 Black wheels : Powder-coated rearsets : Smoked windscreen : 3000k Hi/8000k Low HIDs : Fender Eliminator with LED tag bolts : AGG Rear Reservoir Delete : AGG Angled Valve Stems : Battlax S20s

Last edited by RSICKS ATL; 11-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.
RSICKS ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #30
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
So natedogg624 inspired me to take some swing arm footage at my last track day at VIR. Battery only lasted for the first lap, and I don't have tire warmers so I wasn't pushing, but i'm pretty sure my feet are still working the same way. I don't understand this "locking your boot on the heel guard" concept. You can see the spot on my swingarm that my boot rides on. Someone explain to me what I need to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7tpUceiT9k

little critique on foot position.. make your life easier and leave the outside foot on the peg in the middle of the foot. Like on the arch, instead of taking lots of effort to continually move to the ball of the foot every time after a shift. There are a few reasons for this.. mainly, there is no need to have your outside (high side) peg on the ball of the foot. unless you are 4'5" and can't reach the pegs..
also, you have more ability to lift the bike with a big thigh muscle. More than just a calf muscle. You also don't risk hitting the shifter accidentally when moving the foot back and forth to the shifter, vs just leaving it there. Especially for example on the final turn of VIR out of the "hogpen". are gonna make multiple shifts out of that turn, just leave the foot in the position to make shifts. and leave it there ALL the way to turn 1 as you are gonna have to make 4 downshifts..

leave the outside foot peg, in the middle of the foot. Check out lots of images of pro racers. there may be the occasional pic of an outside foot on the ball of the foot but 9 outa ten you will see the toes pointed out OR on the control.. meaning it has to have the peg in the middle of the foot.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement