New '07 R6, my first bike ;D - Page 11 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #101
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Re: New '07 R6, my first bike ;D

gear to stay away from: icon

definitely get to a track day and get some instruction as soon as you can. mid-ohio is a great track, but unrideable when it's wet. if you're in the area where mid-o is close to you, you should also consider beaverun in PA, nelson ledges in OH, grattan and gingerman in MI, blackhawk farms & autobahn in IL and possibly road america in WI.

check out www.sportbiketrackgear.com for gear

www.sportbiketracktime.com for track day stuff

go easy on the street; it's not a very friendly learning environment...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #102
TinyDancer
Resident Bulgarian

Bike: '12 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post

definitely get to a track day and get some instruction as soon as you can. mid-ohio is a great track, but unrideable when it's wet. if you're in the area where mid-o is close to you, you should also consider beaverun in PA, nelson ledges in OH, grattan and gingerman in MI, blackhawk farms & autobahn in IL and possibly road america in WI.

s3aturnr
Not all Icon is crap IMO. Their vest and knee pads are great from my experience.

-Alex

KCCO
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #103
Sammy Bono
MY MV EATS MY R6

Bike: The kind you pedal

Quote:

s3aturnr
I crash everytime I go to Grattan. S3aturnr, I live in Bloomfield so we are not too far from each other. Hopefully I will see you at the track next year.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #104
JozeyR
I eat my R6

Quote:

s3aturnr
Yeah, I have a few helmets that caught my eyes, a cpuple to mention are the arai Rx-Q, Bell Star Speed Freak RSD, bell rs-1, shoei Rf-1100, Hjc rps-10
But, if i were to do a track day and get more and more riding time on the track as i progress through the courses would these helmets be suitable do you think?
of course there's the more expensive helmets like the schuberth sr-1 and the arai corsair V. They say there's no substitute for quality and it really wouldn't bother me if i had to spend the extra couple hundred dollars for a helmet that is perhaps going to perform better in many different ways which might become necessary at some point in time.

I think i'll order the helmet through revzilla.com since they have all of those videos that go into a good amount of detail. they have so-far convinced me that their customer service is outstanding and they would be willing to exchange the helmet for a different one if it didn't fit all with free shipping included, and discounts on my next purchase through them.

There is one performance mod i was looking at buying too. It's the Dynojet Power Commander. So far from what i've read it allows you to modify the bikes fuel injection system to give +/- 100%. I was only interested in it because i thought that i could maybe reduce the bikes performance for now until i get better at riding and then when i have become more confident and built up more skill over the next few years i can again modify it appropriately to suit myself. Is this basically how it works?

Thanks
JozeyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #105
JozeyR
I eat my R6

Thought i'd update this thread with how i've been doing so far..
I got myself a nice HJC RHPA helmet, excellent price and many other good things made me think it was the one to pick.
I got a scorpion phantom jacket too, it's comfortable and i think it'll do its job.
Picking up some michelin pilot power 2ct's in the near future.

I've had about 4 rides out on the road, averaging about 20 minutes each and i'm improving every time i'm out there.
I you haven't already seen the boring video i recorded of my first ride, feel free to check it out. Warning, it's slow and some might think it's boring but it gives you a good idea at how slow i can ride this thing.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #106
JozeyR
I eat my R6

I got myself a nice HJC RHPA helmet, excellent price and many other good things made me think it was the one to pick.
I got a scorpion phantom jacket too, it's comfortable and i think it'll do its job.

I've had about 4 rides out on the road, averaging about 20 minutes each and i'm improving every time i'm out there.
I you haven't already seen the boring video i recorded of my first ride, feel free to check it out. Warning, it's slow and some might think it's boring but it gives you a good idea at how slow i can ride this thing.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #107
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Quote:
Originally Posted by JozeyR View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5852kPB8o&feature=plcp
Great to hear! Awesome helmet! I'm wearing the RPS-10. 2ct's are great for thr street too! Course if yoh wanted a bit better tire, that are lighter, you could go with the Pures... I just sold a set of 2CT's... They just weren't what I needed on the track... Awesome tires for the street though! Sounds like you're picking up a lot of good things from the forum...
Truth be told, this forum prob saved my life... I was a classif Gixxer squid years ago... Wrecked two on the streets because of drivers, now on the R6 for the last few years... Completely track now too... The risks just weren't worth it anymore... On the streets, cars ALWAYS win... Best of luck tho man! Keep learning!

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #108
theidealone
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

That's a nice RX7 outside of your garage.

I bought an 08 R6 for my first bike earlier this year. So I was in the same boat as you. I feel more and more comfortable everyday. I've put over 3k on it since June. But now it's winter in Colorado.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #109
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JozeyR View Post
Yeah, I have a few helmets that caught my eyes, a cpuple to mention are the arai Rx-Q, Bell Star Speed Freak RSD, bell rs-1, shoei Rf-1100, Hjc rps-10
But, if i were to do a track day and get more and more riding time on the track as i progress through the courses would these helmets be suitable do you think?
of course there's the more expensive helmets like the schuberth sr-1 and the arai corsair V. They say there's no substitute for quality and it really wouldn't bother me if i had to spend the extra couple hundred dollars for a helmet that is perhaps going to perform better in many different ways which might become necessary at some point in time.

I think i'll order the helmet through revzilla.com since they have all of those videos that go into a good amount of detail. they have so-far convinced me that their customer service is outstanding and they would be willing to exchange the helmet for a different one if it didn't fit all with free shipping included, and discounts on my next purchase through them.

There is one performance mod i was looking at buying too. It's the Dynojet Power Commander. So far from what i've read it allows you to modify the bikes fuel injection system to give +/- 100%. I was only interested in it because i thought that i could maybe reduce the bikes performance for now until i get better at riding and then when i have become more confident and built up more skill over the next few years i can again modify it appropriately to suit myself. Is this basically how it works?

Thanks
a decent helmet is a decent helmet. as long as it's snell rated, fits properly and is comfortable to you, it's a good one. doesn't matter if you can ride a little faster than when you first bought it. in my experience, the expensive helmets are expensive because they're more comfortable.

as far as the power commander, i wouldn't even consider it for the purpose of de-tuning your bike. that's not really what it's meant for. it's more to optimize the tune. since you already HAVE your bike and probably won't trade down for something more suitable to a new rider, the next best thing is to get to a track and learn to ride yours properly. believe it or not, most of the quirkiness of the bike goes away once you start going all-out.

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement