Before I touch anything! - Engine gurus - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Re: Before I touch anything! - Engine gurus

Ya.. It's an 06 R6. Sorry aboot that.

I took my nighttime medication, so I'm only on 1 cylinder right now, and can barely even move to type this, so try to stay with me.

After watching an EXTREMELY helpful vid of a lad tearing down, and showing how it's all done. I think I know what I need to do, and your pictures up there make perfect sense!

I think I was just caught in the, everything needs to be marked, and put the same.. But.. Not really. My timing seems to be out.

So, I'ma get that whore to TDC, yank the cams out, do my valving shit, then, when I put it back, make sure it's still TDC, align the cams as per what the fcuk they should be, throw the chain on so the slack is only on the back, where the CCT is, and stick the CCT in, and give it a couple turns, and make sure everything is where it should be.

That sound aboot right?

(Again, if I sound like I'm not making sense, I apologize. This medication really effs me up.)
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Shush319
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: 01' CLE R6, 88' GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post

I took my nighttime medication, so I'm only on 1 cylinder right now, and can barely even move to type this, so try to stay with me.

After watching an EXTREMELY helpful vid of a lad tearing down, and showing how it's all done. I think I know what I need to do, and your pictures up there make perfect sense!

I think I was just caught in the, everything needs to be marked, and put the same.. But.. Not really. My timing seems to be out.

So, I'ma get that whore to TDC, yank the cams out, do my valving shit, then, when I put it back, make sure it's still TDC, align the cams as per what the fcuk they should be, throw the chain on so the slack is only on the back, where the CCT is, and stick the CCT in, and give it a couple turns, and make sure everything is where it should be.

That sound aboot right?

(Again, if I sound like I'm not making sense, I apologize. This medication really effs me up.)
Sounds like you have it.

CCS Amateur #379
Shush319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Aaaaaaaaaaand for what it's worth, just tried to walk for some water for the first time, while on this stuff, and face planted. Now I know, to stay in bed..
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shush319 View Post
Sounds like you have it.
Thank's bud! Appreciate it!

Excited to get to know the workings of the insides of my bike a little, instead of everything on the surface!

Nice to learn a few more things!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Shush319
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: 01' CLE R6, 88' GSXR 750

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaand for what it's worth, just tried to walk for some water for the first time, while on this stuff, and face planted. Now I know, to stay in bed..
Good times bro, good times.....

CCS Amateur #379
Shush319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Holy shit, you took the motor out? I'm scurred.
:

Canada must have gotten pretty boring as Winter sets in!!!

Quote:

That sound aboot right?

As I read the posts and saw the pictures I was dying to post that your cam timing is more than likely lost and now you need to do exactly as you post. Cyl 1 to TDC and re-time the cames. You should cop some adjustable cam gears and advance 1 degree the intake cam... Bottom end is for pussies anyway.

J/K, I have no idea if you'd have valve to piston clearance if you did that.

Quote:
Sounds like you have it.
Quote:
Good times bro, good times.....
: :

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Noticed in the second pic your timing cover is still on. Take it off and it has timing marks to get it at tdc then align the cam marks with the cylinder head.

Btw was it a pain to get the engine out? I left mine in when I do valve checks

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors

Last edited by bryan j; 11-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
As I read the posts and saw the pictures I was dying to post that your cam timing is more than likely lost and now you need to do exactly as you post. Cyl 1 to TDC and re-time the cames.
Glad to hear some people backing what I thought.

Last time I did anything involving timing, I was 16, working on an eagle talon, with my dad yelling at me to do this and do that. Needless to say I don't remember a whole lot...

I will post the video I watched that helped me too, when I get to work, for anyone that's as useless as I, searching for a remedy in the future.

Maybe this piece of shit was out, this whole time. Would explain why it has been running so shitty. And, if that chain was that loose as well, would explain the gnarly slapping noise I was hearing when I started it up.

Glad I pulled it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Noticed in the second pic your timing cover is still on. Take it off and it has timing marks to get it at tdc then align the cam marks with the cylinder head.

Btw was it a pain to get the engine out? I left mine in when I do valve checks
Yea, I pulled the cover off shortly after taking the pictures.

What's the best way to ensure I have #1 cylinder at TDC? (without pulling the head off..) Stick my finger in it, and wait to feel pressure, and see that it's at the mark?

The engine was actually pretty easy to get out. Did 90 percent of it by myself, and then a buddy showed up, and helped.

Just need to really make sure you're paying attention when it's coming out, or you end up ripping throttle cables........... :/ but, probably took about 2 hours, start to end!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
bryan j
pin it to win it

Quote:
Yea, I pulled the cover off shortly after taking the pictures.

What's the best way to ensure I have #1 cylinder at TDC? (without pulling the head off..) Stick my finger in it, and wait to feel pressure, and see that it's at the mark?
Sorry for the sideways pics idk ehy my phone uploads them that way no matter how I take it.
There is a alignment mark on the crank gear and another on the engine case. Line them up and you're good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352135789436.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	86345  

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
bryan j
pin it to win it

This
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352135949717.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	86346  

Body:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement