Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section

Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Hello from Northern Ireland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding ding View Post
Cheers for the welcome's folks, tis appreciated...

Quite surprised with the love for my wee 125, suppose a 125 is a bit of a novelty on your side of the pond lol...

I would LOVE to have one!!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #32
ding ding
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2008 R125, soon a 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

I would LOVE to have one!!
I take it then they are not available over there then? Your entry level stuff would be the likes of the wee ninja 250's and that...

I suppose they build them mainly for the european market as the regulations are the same for most of Europe, and from what i have seen there would be no market for such small engines in the states, everyone seems to like thier big stuff...
ding ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
We only have 2 bikes under 500cc, The ninja 250 and the cbr 250. I wish we had laws like you do, over here you could buy a r1 at 16 years old and never have even sat on a bike before.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
animal1000
Live ride die

Bike: 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
We only have 2 bikes under 500cc, The ninja 250 and the cbr 250. I wish we had laws like you do, over here you could buy a r1 at 16 years old and never have even sat on a bike before.
Holy sh*t 16+R1

animal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #35
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
I take it then they are not available over there then? Your entry level stuff would be the likes of the wee ninja 250's and that...

I suppose they build them mainly for the european market as the regulations are the same for most of Europe, and from what i have seen there would be no market for such small engines in the states, everyone seems to like thier big stuff...
Big and fast.

And the test to get a motorcycle license is in such a small course there is no way to do it on a sportbike. So we rent scooters for $75 for the day and the guy runs you through a practice course and the test, etc. Then he will wait in line with you and you ride the rented scooter. And the people giving the test know him and it's his business so they are a bit lenient. Other than that being shitty, you don't even need anyone to ride along side you anymore apparently with a permit either!

Quote:
Up here you can't get a license for anything until at least 17 and for the first year it's a provisional license. Like only 1 passenger and no driving past midnight or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal1000 View Post
Holy sh*t 16+R1
Not around here, that's for sure.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
ding ding
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
That is feckin mental... I thought it was a bit crazy over here when you could by a 125 and drive it away with no training or test whatsoever before they brought in the CBT (compulsary bike training) last year but that is taking the piss...

Quote:
Big and fast.

And the test to get a motorcycle license is in such a small course there is no way to do it on a sportbike. So we rent scooters for $75 for the day and the guy runs you through a practice course and the test, etc. Then he will wait in line with you and you ride the rented scooter. And the people giving the test know him and it's his business so they are a bit lenient. Other than that being shitty, you don't even need anyone to ride along side you anymore apparently with a permit either!

Up here you can't get a license for anything until at least 17 and for the first year it's a provisional license. Like only 1 passenger and no driving past midnight or something like that.

Not around here, that's for sure.
Over here it was 16 for a 50cc or 17 for a 125cc both could be ridden with no experience at all. but no passengers unless you have a full license and are insured to carry 2 people.

The test fior the full license is a fair bit more work than yours, i actually cant believe its that easy, blipping around on a wee scooter, thats nuts...

Ours is broken down into 3 sections. The theory test 50 multiple choice questions and a hazard awareness test where you watch 10 - 15 video clips and have to click the mouse when you see a hazard.

Only when you pass this can you progress to mod 1 which is manouvers just in a car park emergency stops and a couple of other things, over and done in 10 mins.

Once you have that you can do the mod 2 practical which is being followed by the examiner for around 40 minutes on a route of his choice.

Just a wee bit of a difference there lol...
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #37
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
That is feckin mental... I thought it was a bit crazy over here when you could by a 125 and drive it away with no training or test whatsoever before they brought in the CBT (compulsary bike training) last year but that is taking the piss...

Over here it was 16 for a 50cc or 17 for a 125cc both could be ridden with no experience at all. but no passengers unless you have a full license and are insured to carry 2 people.

The test fior the full license is a fair bit more work than yours, i actually cant believe its that easy, blipping around on a wee scooter, thats nuts...

Ours is broken down into 3 sections. The theory test 50 multiple choice questions and a hazard awareness test where you watch 10 - 15 video clips and have to click the mouse when you see a hazard.

Only when you pass this can you progress to mod 1 which is manouvers just in a car park emergency stops and a couple of other things, over and done in 10 mins.

Once you have that you can do the mod 2 practical which is being followed by the examiner for around 40 minutes on a route of his choice.

Just a wee bit of a difference there lol...
Yea, just a wee bit different!! We do have an electronic/written test in NJ to get the permit. Anyone can pass this after reading for 30 minutes and knowing a few people who got DUI's so you know the offenses questions.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #38
ding ding
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Yea, just a wee bit different!! We do have an electronic/written test in NJ to get the permit. Anyone can pass this after reading for 30 minutes and knowing a few people who got DUI's so you know the offenses questions.
Haha, well at least you have something in place even if it is piss easy... I dread to think what kind of maniacs are scooting about where Bryan J comes from, those roads dont sound too safe lol...
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #39
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Haha, well at least you have something in place even if it is piss easy... I dread to think what kind of maniacs are scooting about where Bryan J comes from, those roads dont sound too safe lol...
No they don't but a LOT of fast riders come out of this leniency too sometimes. Bryan is a MX rider gone sportbike rider and for a young guy on a new to him bike, he rides the damn wheels off the thing!!!!

But he's also got a good head on his shoulders and all that too. That's really what it comes down to.

What you have in place would prevent 90% of the squids we see even getting a bike!!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #40
ding ding
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
No they don't but a LOT of fast riders come out of this leniency too sometimes. Bryan is a MX rider gone sportbike rider and for a young guy on a new to him bike, he rides the damn wheels off the thing!!!!

But he's also got a good head on his shoulders and all that too. That's really what it comes down to.

What you have in place would prevent 90% of the squids we see even getting a bike!!

Yea i can see where your coming from there, i know a few guys around my area, never had a license or a lesson for that matter in thier life and they are scary good pilots... But ont the other hand i know a few folk who payed with thier life for thinking they where better than they actually where.

My main riding experience come from dirt bikes also funny enough but it was a bit of a learning curve coming onto even my wee 125. I was used to steerin from the rear basically, wee touch of rear brake, kick the back end out and power out of the turn. 1st time i tried that on the tarmac on my wee 125 she sat straight up and threw me straight to the wrong side of the road. Needless to say i re assessed my riding style after that lol...

But im not stupid, i know my abilitys and dont ride outside them its just not worth it. I know without a doubt the R6 could chew me up and spit me out in a heartbeat so thats why il be getting her restricted.; She may be kicking out 118bhp but il only be using 33 of those ponys for amy 1st season anyway.

Oh and btw without sounding too stupid, what is a squid? I thought they lived in the sea lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement