Before I touch anything! - Engine gurus - Page 4 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
Aleeex
m3lover2

Bike: Trek Fuel 90
Or chain is binding somewhere

My Vouch Thread

John 3:16
Aleeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #32
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Either piston is hitting the valves or you're feeling the compression (if the plugs are still in)

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #33
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Re: Before I touch anything! - Engine gurus

Ya... Fair enough

Well, I think tonight I'll pull the head off, and see what's going on.

Before, when I first started it, it would knock real hard, and then stop, so, I'm assuming there's more to this issue..
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #34
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Ever have that deep feeling of regret, and knowing, '' I shouldn't have even touched the fcuking thing'' feeling?

I has that now..

But, probably a good idea I did take it out, before something went horribly wrong.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
bryan j
pin it to win it

Its simple you're just over thinking it.

retime it and take you're time. Make sure all the marks are aligned and you're good.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Its simple you're just over thinking it.

retime it and take you're time. Make sure all the marks are aligned and you're good.
Out of curiosity, do you think it's possible I can't turn it when It's all bolted down, because it's in gear?

I'm at work, or I'd try..

I feel like I'd know if there was a bent valve, is the thing. You may be right, just over thinking it. It worked just fine before, and I haven't touched anything. Should be fine.. Friend came over last night, and said the same.

The valve clearances are way out to lunch, so that could have been the knocking noise.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
bryan j
pin it to win it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Ever have that deep feeling of regret, and knowing, '' I shouldn't have even touched the fcuking thing'' feeling?

I has that now..

But, probably a good idea I did take it out, before something went horribly wrong.
Oh ive had that feeling to often. When I was 13 I decided id rebuild the too end in my 250. I reused a 25 cent cir clip instead of getting new ones. That clip cost me almost 2k in the long run. Destroyed my engine

Body:

Old 11-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #38
bryan j
pin it to win it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you think it's possible I can't turn it when It's all bolted down, because it's in gear?

I'm at work, or I'd try..

I feel like I'd know if there was a bent valve, is the thing. You may be right, just over thinking it. It worked just fine before, and I haven't touched anything. Should be fine.. Friend came over last night, and said the same.

The valve clearances are way out to lunch, so that could have been the knocking noise.
Put it in neutral, pull the plugs out, and take the valve cover and ignition cover off.

It should spin easy. if it doesn't your timing is prly off.

Body:

Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #39
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

even if you DO take the head off, if you can't set the timing on the 2 cams properly, you're fu ck ed.. just later than sooner this time. and yes, if it's in gear and you turn the motor over at the crank with the 12mm socket, the rear wheel will just spin. If it's not turning over something is wrong. you need a manual. cap bolts for the cams need torqued down in sequence. And i suggest not pulling the head off just yet.. if you do, get a new head gasket before hand and those head bolts FOR SURE need torqued down properly.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Thank you everyone for your help!

Really appreciate it!

Turns out... I'm an idiot..

Took it out of gear, and spins perfect now! Timing is set dead on, and all is well!!

Happier then a pig in shit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement