Need a custom suit vendor. - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
lunchbox101
I eat my R6

Re: Need a custom suit vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post
ask dustin dominguez his thoughts on pilot.

he runs something else now.
Story?
lunchbox101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
lunchbox101
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
Look up Heroic http://www.heroicracing.com/Default.asp

Talk to Todd. I know this guy personally and his suits are probably the best out there. Can do Kangaroo (the belly skin, softest, strongest and lightes available) or cowhide. Uses stingray too. Best in the business if you ask me.

Will also throw in a pair of race gloves, ask him
Suits look awesome. Any reviews from this guy? Any bad experiences? Whats his turn around time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephino View Post
You can design your own here, for unbelievably low cost.

http://hazardousracing.com/
Anyone have any experience with these people? I noticed the leather is 1.3mm instead of the standard 1.4mm. Any comments here? They are about half the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HER6 View Post
Mark and I both got custom suits from NJK last October...

http://www.njkleathers.com/index.php...=84&Itemid=162

We are really happy with them. Plus, Kelsey is really easy to work with.

He is in San Clemente which made it nice because we went down there for an initial fitting and a final fitting.
Any crashes with these suits? They seem to have alot of that "stretch" material, especially on the front. When I crashed in my Teknic, that was the only place I had rash..
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
elephino
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2010 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox101 View Post
Anyone have any experience with these people? I noticed the leather is 1.3mm instead of the standard 1.4mm. Any comments here? They are about half the price.
I can put you in touch with the owner if you'd like. He's a friend of mine, and he can tell you about the suits in excruciating detail.

The cliff's notes are that everything on them is customizable, from materials to construction. And he'll cut you a fair price for the customizations.

Edit: He says most companies use "1.2-1.4mm" in their advertising, but it's 1.3mm, so that's what he says it is. Reference:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=16429

Last edited by elephino; 08-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
elephino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
HER6
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:

Any crashes with these suits? They seem to have alot of that "stretch" material, especially on the front. When I crashed in my Teknic, that was the only place I had rash..
I don't plan on either of us ever crash testing these suits.

Here is where he talks about the suit and the stretch parts...

http://www.njkleathers.com/index.php...=84&Itemid=162

I really like this part too...

Quote:
We use Bohn armor exclusively, as well as generous portions of closed cell foam and double ply leather. Some manufacturers charge for protective gear, at NJK, all starting prices include typical pads and armor. Our most expensive suits have the same safety features as our least expensive suits. Design and lettering will add to the cost of a suit; safety factors do not add to the cost. We encourage every rider in every discipline to have the safest gear on the market.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
lunchbox101
I eat my R6

I messaged Hazardous and am waiting on a response. I am still torn though. Leaning toward Spartan Leathers.

I wish I could just buy this off the rack and have it fit. Im going to call LizzyLeathers today about alterations
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=13100
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

Trackskinz.com

Very good quality, and they will do custom sizing for a small charge....when I bought mine it was an additional $45, I think. But I figured I was close enough to a standard size it wouldn't matter. If I had it to do again, I'd have gone with the custom sizing. I have had custom suits for 15 years before this one and got spoiled by the fit. This suit has almost the same quality as my $1500 Z Customs sets, and if I had gone with the custom size, I probably wouldn't have had ANY complaints. (as negligible as the ones I have are)

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
8Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
Bergster
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 Street

Quote:
I appreciate everyones replies!

To the guy who said Pilot was rude, I stopped by their vendor location at Laguna Seca this year and inquired about a custom suit. Maybe it was the amount of people there, but the guy was very rude and kind of snappy, so I just left.

Ill definitely check out all of the suggestions here. A few years back I won a Komodo jacket from this forum. Its very well built and I am sure their suits are awesome, but they come at a high price.
Komodo suits aren't priced that high. The first 5 suits listed are all under $1k. http://komodogear.com/category/motor...le-race-suits/

I would also like to hear Dominguez's story about his Pilot suit. I saw him at Hallet on July 15th and he was still wearing Pilot. They are his sponsor last time I checked

Last edited by Bergster; 08-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Bergster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
lunchbox101
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergster View Post
Komodo suits aren't priced that high. The first 5 suits listed are all under $1k. http://komodogear.com/category/motor...le-race-suits/

I would also like to hear Dominguez's story about his Pilot suit. I saw him at Hallet on July 15th and he was still wearing Pilot. They are his sponsor last time I checked
You must have missed the custom section lol.
http://komodogear.com/category/motor...tom-race-suit/

My komodo jacket is a size large and fits well.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #29
Gundamzeppelin
Tons of juice. Crazyjuice

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter

I hear good things about Ballistik On the WFO they are having a kangaroo suit sale.
http://www.ballistik-apparel.com/

Personally I am using an off the rack RS-Taichi GP MAX R100 And I love it! The fitment is on a whole other level than my A* was.
It already fits like a custom suit. I'd swear this suit was made for me if I didn't know better! The size 40 is so comfortable it feels like I am wearing PJ's or something. I have no problem walking around in it, getting my leg out, getting my leg over the bike ect...

Where as to Alpinestars was tight as SHIT I pulled a muscle in my leg just trying to get on the bike.

If I were to go for a custom suit I'd run with RS Tai-chi or just get another off the rack & add some iron on patches. Also this thing flows air like a Mother ****er! Great for a warm day Horrible for a cold day

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack

Last edited by Gundamzeppelin; 11-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Gundamzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Detrich
I <3 Orange Chicken

Bike: 2010 YZF-R6 - Blue
Quote:
Story?
I had a really good shopping experience with Pilot, and a fast turn-around. They even gave me an extra set of pucks for free. I ordered a custom Evo jacket first, then got the suit. The fitment and quality of the suit are near perfect and it's a standard size 38. The Pilot back & Pilot chest protector also fits perfectly underneath.

I can see how maybe they can "seem" a bit snappy at first. But, I think it's just b'cuz ppl ask for crazy stuff when they get a custom suit made. So, they probably deal with a lotta BS requests. You just have to be firm, be realistic, and stay on top of the order.

Here's my suit. It's really comfortable and totally worth the money...

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1352441876.737543.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

View My Virtual Garage
Detrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement