TT in Hawaii? - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom
Re: TT in Hawaii?

Shut up all you haters! Think about how freaking epic it would be to see bikes blasting around an island with the unbelievably gorgeous backdrop of a Hawai'i? Sure it might not be practical. But if you could get it started as a small local thing (which I'm sure is how the IoMTT started), it might take off.

I would honestly be more worried about trying to get someone to let you start something like that in this day and age, where everyone is way more concerned about safety and insurance issues. It also doesn't help that you're not starting off with race bikes that top out at 50mph, like how the Isle of Mann got started. There's 125 years of history/heritage at work there.

Maybe aim to start off with a scooter TT?
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
AB630
My bike is my therapist

Bike: 2006 R6

Where is Tantalus? I live on the west side Ewa/Kapolei..
AB630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
iHak
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Not sure what tantalus is but the few times I've been to Hawaii the roads where in rough condition. My brother keeps trying to get me to move out there, but I can't.
Tantalus is the ONLY ride that is good on this island. It goes up through the mountain, circles around and back down to finish where it started.

But don't move here. Trust me.

If you are a true rider you will die on the inside.

The Island.. she lures you in with all of her beauty. Evil beauty, designed to make you temporarily forget the fact that once here, you will never again truly ride.

Some of the lucky ones just give in and trade in their R6, leathers, and their passion for riding for some grotesque, distorted image of a motorcycle known as a "hog" or "cruiser", grow a mustache, don a bandana, leather vest, slippers and a t-shirt and still be in the illusion that they're "riding".
Should you end up on this island, pray that this is you.. that you end up blissfully unaware of what riding is..

Unfortunately there are those of us who are cursed to never forget.
Despair creeps in, hope fades and and is replaced by manic desperate hopes that someday the track will be rebuilt. Or that a TT race will be founded, or some other, similar dream will become reality. It never gets better, and it will never happen, because Hawaii hates motorcyclists.

Even should you comply and just use your poor R6 as a commuter, the state of Hawaii will force you to sit in sweltering heat in traffic jams despite ample room for you to just zip up the shoulder or jump into the shoulder lane for a mile or two. But no, you'll sit there at a virtual standstill, trying to ignore the fact that your leg is catching on fire because your engine is overheating so badly, your fan is screaming in a vain attempt to keep the engine cool, chewing through battery after battery, while you still stay where you are in line for fear of the white clad nazis who will be upon you before you even get one tire into the shoulder lane, and give you the opportunity to generously donate your hard earned money to the the state's treasury for even thinking about doing so.
You will soon forget what it is to ride your R6 how she is supposed to be ridden.

Despite all of this, there are a few of us who ride but are condemned to ride only under the cover of darkness, always looking over our shoulders for the blue and red flash of the nazis that Hawaii deploys to crush hopes and dreams of riders. It's not much, but it's all we have.

And let me take this opportunity to extend a HUGE FAQ YOU to the state of Hawaii, for not giving a shit or even a thought to the riders of your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Silaxin View Post
It is gorgeous, I'll say that! But I couldn't live there either... Gorgeous place to visit though... But if you ever wanted to do ANYTHING other then surfing really, you'd have to travel a few hour by plane... Which blows...
Luckily I love to surf.. It helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Exactly. I like the beach and the ladies but I couldn't live the beach life every day like my brother does. I hate flying to, I can't sit still long enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario J View Post
Isle of Man is an island that is near a continent... not floating in the middle of the Pacific, hours from anything else. Good luck though.
Luck is not what we need. A Governor that owns a sportsbike is what we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Shut up all you haters! Think about how freaking epic it would be to see bikes blasting around an island with the unbelievably gorgeous backdrop of a Hawai'i? Sure it might not be practical. But if you could get it started as a small local thing (which I'm sure is how the IoMTT started), it might take off.

I would honestly be more worried about trying to get someone to let you start something like that in this day and age, where everyone is way more concerned about safety and insurance issues. It also doesn't help that you're not starting off with race bikes that top out at 50mph, like how the Isle of Mann got started. There's 125 years of history/heritage at work there.

Maybe aim to start off with a scooter TT?
LOL A scooter TT..

Here's what could work. A community of bikers that starts an unofficial, underground TT. Create enough buzz, and enough media support to get our piece of shit government to take notice and actually make it official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB630 View Post
Where is Tantalus? I live on the west side Ewa/Kapolei..
Tantalus is in town.
iHak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
iHak
Premium Member

PS. Hawaii really doesn't give a crap about it's motorcycle community. I was just kidding bout hogs and cruisers.. I could go into it in much more detail, but it's so bad here I don't have the time. They're so oblivious to motorcycles, that you have to install things on your bike to pass a safety, that are not even required to be used by law. It's upside down. They should take some lessons from California, and make it right.
iHak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Mario J
I can ban you

Bike: 2013 GRB STi
Send a message via AIM to Mario J

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHak View Post
PS. Hawaii really doesn't give a crap about it's motorcycle community. I was just kidding bout hogs and cruisers.. I could go into it in much more detail, but it's so bad here I don't have the time. They're so oblivious to motorcycles, that you have to install things on your bike to pass a safety, that are not even required to be used by law. It's upside down. They should take some lessons from California, and make it right.
No, you don't want to be like California... At least not emissions wise. Lane sharing is nice though

I <3
Mario J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Don't forget Macau next week! It's a roadrace on an island.

The government of IOM is basically built around the TT. It's the only way you could even run something like that and deal with the liability. Macau, like Ulster, the NW200, Cookstown are short-coarse roadraces. Awesome stuff. Macau's tourism bureau is who promotes the race, and I think it's the same for IOM.

Some Macau footage to get you stoked. Wish I was there this year.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Fallis
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
Don't forget Macau next week! It's a roadrace on an island.

The government of IOM is basically built around the TT. It's the only way you could even run something like that and deal with the liability. Macau, like Ulster, the NW200, Cookstown are short-coarse roadraces. Awesome stuff. Macau's tourism bureau is who promotes the race, and I think it's the same for IOM.

Some Macau footage to get you stoked. Wish I was there this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSI292N3AUU
WTF! It's completely lined with metal fencing or concrete. How do they not have multiple deaths every race??? I didn't spot *ANY* runoff at any point along the track.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
WTF! It's completely lined with metal fencing or concrete. How do they not have multiple deaths every race??? I didn't spot *ANY* runoff at any point along the track.
One section of runoff in "Lisboa" turn .. a greasy 90 degree hairpin after a WTFO couple-mile section. I went to Macua 7 years in a row, but sadly missing this year. I've done some laps on the track ... on a scooter.

Hearing 200+ mph bikes circle through a city is unreal. Same racers as the TT for the most part. Only event I know of that mixes car racing, too. WTC and F2, along with some sedan classes.

Oh yeah, you'll love this part ... I'm told most of the reference markers are up in trees and buildings because they can't look through the corner. heh
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
AB630
My bike is my therapist

Bike: 2006 R6

Hawaii certainly isn't the mainland, but Im not sure its as bad as described above. California SuperBike school sets up here every 2-3 months and we use an air field (Kaneohe or Wheeler) as a track.(This might be for military only) Is it Daytona? No, but I look forward to it. I live on the west side so traffic isn't at all like it is in town and we aren't limited to one lane like the North Shore often is.

If you are hardcore, if you "need" track time you will suffer. If you're like the rest of us you get up a little earlier on the weekends to get a ride around the island w/o traffic in.I have 4 awesome turns on my way to work and I work on hitting those w/good lines, body position and a safe-for-the-stree-but-still-somehwhat-fast corner speed. I bet those who have never been here would be awed by a run up H3 and over the Pali.
AB630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
Fallis
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
One section of runoff in "Lisboa" turn .. a greasy 90 degree hairpin after a WTFO couple-mile section. I went to Macua 7 years in a row, but sadly missing this year. I've done some laps on the track ... on a scooter.

Hearing 200+ mph bikes circle through a city is unreal. Same racers as the TT for the most part. Only event I know of that mixes car racing, too. WTC and F2, along with some sedan classes.

Oh yeah, you'll love this part ... I'm told most of the reference markers are up in trees and buildings because they can't look through the corner. heh

Well ... I ... what ...

I just don't know what to say to that. A bunch of guys blasting around walled off city streets at 200mph looking up at the ****ing trees ... that's some man shit right there. I think my head just exploded trying to comprehend what that must be like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement