Getting the bike turned quickly - Page 4 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #31
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Re: Getting the bike turned quickly

I didn't see any mention of weighting the foot pegs.

I'd much rather get the bike to turn-in quickly with body position and weighting the inside footpeg than giving a strong steering input with the bars. The rotating mass of the bike is much closer to the peg than the bar, too.

2 cents from a guy who has hit the deck from excessive bar inputs a few too many times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
I didn't see any mention of weighting the foot pegs.

I'd much rather get the bike to turn-in quickly with body position and weighting the inside footpeg than giving a strong steering input with the bars. The rotating mass of the bike is much closer to the peg than the bar, too.

2 cents from a guy who has hit the deck from excessive bar inputs a few too many times.
The issues the OP is experiencing goes beyond weighting the foot pegs. I never do, I transition enough with my body and handlebar inputs. If I'm in a situation where I need the extra input because of a higher than expected entry speed or pass, I'll weight them. But not every single turn.

A valuable track tactic when used correctly, absolutely.... a necessary track tactic needed for each and every turn? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
I'll either start making a ton of mistakes, or I'll go way faster, and have no idea why.
That means it's time for some formal instruction... not just from the freebie trackdays instructors.
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards
Racer5 & Speedworx Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs
Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Mr. Azim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #33
manny
I eat my R6

I personally try not to give the bars to much input as I don't have a steering dampener and hate the woobles that follow when to much tension is on the bars. Relaxed pressure if that makes sense and get used to the bike moving and grooving. A little slide is not something to get to worried about and when done right will help you carrie more speed. Plus I focus more on drive out as opposed to turn in. By focusing on getting a good drive out of the corner it naturally sets me up on the turn in.
I would also suggest doing some MX riding. It will aide your confidence greatly on the street bike.

p.s. I'm no racer and my advice is probably chit, but it works for me so maybe you can gain something from it.
manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #34
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny View Post
Plus I focus more on drive out as opposed to turn in. By focusing on getting a good drive out of the corner it naturally sets me up on the turn in.
I would also suggest doing some MX riding. It will aide your confidence greatly on the street bike.

p.s. I'm no racer and my advice is probably chit, but it works for me so maybe you can gain something from it.
This is excellent advice. I stopped crapping myself on slides after I went dirt biking. A road racing slide is peanuts compared to the max sliding and jostling about the entire ride :P

A good drive is key... the fastest way out of a turn is to take your time going into it. A lot of people will overshoot the entrance, resulting in over trail braking or taking the turn wider than you should.

The sooner you're off the brakes, the sooner you can get on the gas.
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #35
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
This is excellent advice. I stopped crapping myself on slides after I went dirt biking. A road racing slide is peanuts compared to the max sliding and jostling about the entire ride :P

A good drive is key... the fastest way out of a turn is to take your time going into it. A lot of people will overshoot the entrance, resulting in over trail braking or taking the turn wider than you should.

The sooner you're off the brakes, the sooner you can get on the gas.
well.. to some degree. I think we can agree that overshooting a corner could result in running wide, and thus delaying the point at which you get on the gas. but being able to brake later and/or get the bike turned faster could result in being later on the brakes AND sooner on the gas.

The apex is still the apex, for you, me, and Valentino Rossi in most instances. The apex is pretty much where trail braking ends, and the gas is opened.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
misti
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
This is a problem. You're thinking more than you should.

Turning the motorcycle should be inherently natural. Don't THINK about making your head do it ("okay brain, start pushing more... a little less... okay more" because that creates more time it takes you to tell your brain to your brain making your hand do it. There's so much more you need to be aware of once you hit that apex.

It takes time/training/practice and seat time.... but your brain will go turn turn turn on it's own without you having to tell it.

The only thing I'm consciously aware of (most of the time) is when to brake and when to get the gas. I won't even remember what lap I'm on in a race until I see a half way or last lap flag..... if I see/notice the flag at all. Sometimes white just shows up lol.
There is a time to think about your riding and then a time to just "ride."

You definitely need to take some time to really think about and analyze your riding if you want to get better and better and better. This doesn't mean that you are overanalyzing every single corner but rather taking one specific skill and working on it until it becomes second nature and you can do it without really thinking.

Whenever I do a track day, or a practice session before a race, I make sure to have something to practice every session out except for the last, or the actual race. It could be that I'm working on finding more reference points and drawing the track or I could be trying to get the bike turned quicker or on the gas harder in specific questions. It is only after you have put this focussed, practice time in that you can then just let go and ride.

During my first AMA practice Keith Code was coaching me over the phone and each session he had me pick something to work on and I had to report back to him after. I called him right before the race and said "what should I work on during the race?" and he said, "Nothing, just go out and ride."

Time and place I think

Do you guys have a method of certain things you work on each practice/track day? do you always start with the same thing or does it depend on the track?

Misti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxEdge View Post

For whom do you write?
I write for a Canadian Magazine called Motorcycle Mojo where I have my own monthly column and I freelance out to other magazines, like Roadracing World or Sportbike Magazine. I'm starting a new column for another magazine shortly
misti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #37
rkorenek
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
Misti
I write for a Canadian Magazine called Motorcycle Mojo where I have my own monthly column and I freelance out to other magazines, like Roadracing World or Sportbike Magazine. I'm starting a new column for another magazine shortly
Personally, I hope you spend a lot of time on the forums, cause I have a whole lotta questions!
Randy
rkorenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #38
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Quote:

Do you guys have a method of certain things you work on each practice/track day? do you always start with the same thing or does it depend on the track?

Misti
I race in Grand Bend Motorplex exclusively... the benefit? A single track with 5-6 different configurations each time we go race.

Even though it's the same track, different turns/corners react differently to suspension settings and... with the stuff nature does... sight lines and references change. Some suspension tweaking is required because of the different corners, a few clicks can make a difference on a corner that wasn't included "last time".

The first thing I do is a sighting lap. Because the bush I used to use as a braking marker probably got cut down or that crack/chip on the corner turtle probably got fixed and repainted.

After that, it's "go ride". I don't use a lap-timer anymore... I go out and "do". Laptimes are good to know when you're analyzing racing behavior (when I get tired or behave start/end). But a regular track day/practice day? You're bound to run into lap traffic and it's especially useless to some people who like to work on a few corners at a time and do an average pace on the others.

I would only check out laptimes at the end of day and compare morning, afternoon and fastest lap (morning is used to re-familiarize myself and do the tuning I need to). More work in the morning, sure... but less in the afternoon.
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Good question. The simple answer here is that you just press the bar harder and the bike will turn in quicker.

But, you are obviously doing something that is making the bike feel unstable when you try to turn it quickly.

Are you pressing DOWN on the handlebar or FORWARD when you steer the bike? Are you pressing with smooth even (though quick) pressure or stabbing/jabbing at the bars?

How might any of the above effect your ability to get the bike turned quickly with the least amount of instability?

Misti

This is what I do. I move my butt of the seat and set up well before turn in but I keep squeezing the tank with both knees while braking and downshifting to keep myself from sliding forward into the tank and to keep excess weight off the bars. When I turn the bike I simply let my inside knee fall out and allow my upper body to go with the bike into the turn. I move my head forward and down farther only if I need too.

With both knees squeezing the tank it helps me keep my arms bent and nice and loose so I can quick turn the bike with as little effort/strength as possible.

Misti
Nice info right there; before I took the riders course with fast track, I was trying to pull the bars down a bit, rather than forward - now corrected.

I was also told I could weight the inside pegs to get the bike over without upsetting the chassis; thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
Keep in mind at some point you will have to push and pull at the same time in order to change direction quick enough. Speed has many caveats involved. Most are related to ones inability to produce a needed action in time.

Here are some nifty pointers.

1. Most inexperienced riders turn too early even when going slow.

2. Most riders that feel rushed don't have things like braking points, turn in points, apexes and exit points figured out before they get to a particular turn.

3. Most of the issues caused by speed is a riders lack of foresight. I.E. they aren't looking far enough ahead and points 1 & 2 become true. Point one is a natural ( but very incorrect ) reaction. Point 2 is a modifier to the problem. Even if you know your points, you must still be able to follow through and complete the action : )

As an example I have my speedo covered with a sticker that says RELAX. I never read it though cause I am always looking ahead. But I know it's there and I remember to do the instruction.

With great speed comes great responsibility. Know thy markers/points and execute the required actions with a true mind and ability. Only then a Jedi can you become..........
Yes, yes, and yes...I guess, I need a relax decal too...

Sub'd for another later read.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #40
TheJokester3
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.
Build Thread
TheJokester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement