BT-16's or Q2's and why? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Pocket_Rocket
Nerd dick

Bike: 2005 R6
BT-16's or Q2's and why?

My dilemma is, Need to replace my wore out rear tire and maybe do my front at the same time as well. Have run these used bt-16's i picked up 8 months ago, but they are the 4 and a half year old model. to my knowledge the newer bt-16's are better than what I have. So far i've like these but i have the chance to get either BT-16's or Q2's for the same price, in your guys opinion which one would be best and why. I have a track day at button willow coming up, i maybe do 1-2 track days a year, mostly easy week day riding, some times hit the canyons with friends on the weekends.
K&N, Yoshi carbon exhaust, PCIII, AGG Racing DRD & Smog off plates, -1+2 driven sprockets.

My 05 Build page
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146094 (updated 7/2/2012)
brakes are like being with a girl, better to use 2 fingers
Pocket_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: BT-16's or Q2's and why?

If I remember right the BT-16's are being discontinued and replaced by the S20's. I never got a chance to run the set I had at the track but I have run 8 days on Q2's so far and they are awesome. People also seem to live the S20's though.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Pocket_Rocket
Nerd dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10301 View Post
If I remember right the BT-16's are being discontinued and replaced by the S20's. I never got a chance to run the set I had at the track but I have run 8 days on Q2's so far and they are awesome. People also seem to live the S20's though.
yea the S20's are more $$ than what Im looking at so they aren't an option just yet. Im torn because i think if the "newer" bt-16's are much better than the ones i have i know i will be happy. And i've heard mostly really good things about the Q2's.
K&N, Yoshi carbon exhaust, PCIII, AGG Racing DRD & Smog off plates, -1+2 driven sprockets.

My 05 Build page
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket_Rocket View Post
yea the S20's are more $$ than what Im looking at so they aren't an option just yet. Im torn because i think if the "newer" bt-16's are much better than the ones i have i know i will be happy. And i've heard mostly really good things about the Q2's.
The carcass on the Q2 at a bit stiff for some but the heat quickly and have nice grip (but I'm not fast); I personally have sets on my S and "R" and like them. With that said, you will get many different answer from folks because it comes down to preference (even with my post).
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike

The S20's are only like $220 for a set, they should actually be cheaper than a set of BT-16's.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket_Rocket View Post
My dilemma is, Need to replace my wore out rear tire and maybe do my front at the same time as well. Have run these used bt-16's i picked up 8 months ago, but they are the 4 and a half year old model. to my knowledge the newer bt-16's are better than what I have. So far i've like these but i have the chance to get either BT-16's or Q2's for the same price, in your guys opinion which one would be best and why. I have a track day at button willow coming up, i maybe do 1-2 track days a year, mostly easy week day riding, some times hit the canyons with friends on the weekends.
i would get the q2 because it's my opinion that they are the better tire. i believe that the bt-16 is being replaced anyway.

if you're only doing 1-2 track days per year, you may just want to go with whatever tire is cheaper because you shouldn't ever need that kinda grip on the street unless you're being irresponsible and a couple track days aren't going to make or break either of those choices.

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Pocket_Rocket
Nerd dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post
The carcass on the Q2 at a bit stiff for some but the heat quickly and have nice grip (but I'm not fast); I personally have sets on my S and "R" and like them. With that said, you will get many different answer from folks because it comes down to preference (even with my post).
yea i got a new set of what i barely remember being q2's on my first 04 R6, but that was back in 08. if they were q2's i was happy with them. And i too am not really that fast, maybe why i've ridden for 5 years with no tickets or accidents .

Quote:
The S20's are only like $220 for a set, they should actually be cheaper than a set of BT-16's.
getting a set of BT-16's were $167 but now $180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i would get the q2 because it's my opinion that they are the better tire. i believe that the bt-16 is being replaced anyway.

if you're only doing 1-2 track days per year, you may just want to go with whatever tire is cheaper because you shouldn't ever need that kinda grip on the street unless you're being irresponsible and a couple track days aren't going to make or break either of those choices.

s3aturnr
hmm, thats 2 people telling me the bt-16's are being scrapped. yea even on the track im not pretending to be rossi . don't need full race grip, so im thinking this round q2's might be in order.

My 05 Build page
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Skeeter
Forum Moderator

Bike: '03 Sliver R1'06 Raven R6

Quote:
I have run 8 days on Q2's so far and they are awesome.
Wow, you have done 8 track days on a set of Q2's? I'd be lucky to get a weekend out of a set without the sides being toast.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
Wow, you have done 8 track days on a set of Q2's? I'd be lucky to get a weekend out of a set without the sides being toast.
That's also dependent on how hard the rider was gassing it out of the turns. I have a track day on both bike and was gassing it harder on the S than the R, and I'd still be gtg on either of them; the S was torn up a bit more but still good enough for another round. I'd bet its time for you to switch to a slick or race DOT if you eating them up that quickly.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Pocket_Rocket
Nerd dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post
That's also dependent on how hard the rider was gassing it out of the turns. I have a track day on both bike and was gassing it harder on the S than the R, and I'd still be gtg on either of them; the S was torn up a bit more but still good enough for another round. I'd bet its time for you to switch to a slick or race DOT if you eating them up that quickly.
i think skeet skeet is running an R1?? if so that makes sense, more power and possibly a harder rider than most.

My 05 Build page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement