Shedding weight 2003 R6 - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Shedding weight 2003 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by #79 View Post
haha thanks but there is a reason a good shock has an oil resevoir.

seriously? you don't think it has one? lol.. guys, it's not a shock the size of a steering damper, it's just 30% lighter than an Ohlins or Penske shock. the size difference of the body is noticeable in this photo. it's smaller. BUT YES, it has a remote res. It's basically a 3/4 scale of the popular ohlins or penske shocks.
If you look around the AMA or local ccs/wera paddock, these shocks are quickly finding favor with many riders/

Not a "good" shock? LOTS of national championships were won on them at this year's CCS Race Of Champions and WERA GNF .

Is Ohlins a good shock? heck yes.. but so is the JRi , and it weighs considerably less. That was the original posters question right?? how to shed weight?? well, here is a very good way to do it.
If you are gonna get an aftermarket shock anyway, why not consider a shock that is as good as an Ohlins but weighs 30% less??

The guys that started JRi spun have decades of experience from Penske and Fox shock companies .. so they know somthing about shocks. The JRi company got it's start in nascar, and half the cars/trucks in nascar are on jri shocks. They only recently ventured into motorcycles, but are quickly gaining favor with riders.

here is some info on the company if interested https://www.facebook.com/JRiShocks?fref=ts

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
I eat my R6

Bike: 03 R6, 07 R6, '10 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
seriously? you don't think it has one? lol.. guys, it's not a shock the size of a steering damper, it's just 30% lighter than an Ohlins or Penske shock. the size difference of the body is noticeable in this photo. it's smaller. BUT YES, it has a remote res. It's basically a 3/4 scale of the popular ohlins or penske shocks.
If you look around the AMA or local ccs/wera paddock, these shocks are quickly finding favor with many riders/

Not a "good" shock? LOTS of national championships were won on them at this year's CCS Race Of Champions and WERA GNF .

Is Ohlins a good shock? heck yes.. but so is the JRi , and it weighs considerably less. That was the original posters question right?? how to shed weight?? well, here is a very good way to do it.
If you are gonna get an aftermarket shock anyway, why not consider a shock that is as good as an Ohlins but weighs 30% less??

The guys that started JRi spun have decades of experience from Penske and Fox shock companies .. so they know somthing about shocks. The JRi company got it's start in nascar, and half the cars/trucks in nascar are on jri shocks. They only recently ventured into motorcycles, but are quickly gaining favor with riders.

here is some info on the company if interested https://www.facebook.com/JRiShocks?fref=ts

i know where you are coming from, my comment was unfounded, sorry.

i already have an ohlins shock and if i were to spend a G on something it wouldnt be another shock, it would be wheels.
#79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by #79 View Post
i know where you are coming from, my comment was unfounded, sorry.

i already have an ohlins shock and if i were to spend a G on something it wouldnt be another shock, it would be wheels.
totally agree. if you have a good shock already, no need to replace it.. i was just pointing out to the OP that IF he was to be in the market for a shock and was looking to save as much weight as possible, the JRi shock should be on the short-list of choices considering it's lighter than the other shocks out there.

It is really amazing how much a set of magnzm. wheels changes how a bike handles. BUT.. they are like $2500+- $1000?? that MIGHT get you ONE wheel .. LOL .. but it's unsprung weight so more significant that shedding sprung weight.

THE easiest and cheapest way to shed 6+ lbs is a lightweight battery.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
4yamahas
Shred til your Dead

Bike: 01R6/06R6

I would start with taking everything off the bike you dont need . That is free . Replacing steel with aluminum or Ti will shed some weight . I just had a set of axles and swinger pivot made out of 7075 Billet . you can see pics of them at Ti64.co.uk
4yamahas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement