question about suit fitting : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Safety Equipment

Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
jpaolo
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 06 R6
question about suit fitting

I'm 5'6 150lbs +or 5 depend on how much I ate or hungry I am
Chest 37 inch medium built. I tried my friends suit alpinestar size 38us for maybe 4 hours of riding fits me well like a glove but not big enough to wear any thick inner clothes and didn't give me any problem. The suit is old and obviously broken in.

My question is when I buy my own suit should I go size bigger reason being is when I rode it bit was cold in the morning and its a bit chilly since I only have under armor inside. It would have been fine if I had a regular shirt inside. Probably good for summer though. Also the calve is a little tight when zipping it down but it didn't bother me during the ride. and also im thinking of adding back protector. Are back protector recommended or just added stuff to make you uncomfortable when you ride
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Krazy Again
My R6 eats me.

Re: question about suit fitting

Obviously you're looking to buy off the rack. W

That bein said, you should absolutely be trying them on before you buy. Every manufacturer tends to be slightly different from the last, and even each manufacturer may be different for each style suit.

As for a back protector...yes, you want one. Whether as part of the suit (mine was custom made with one in it), or to be worn underneath. You'll want to make sure tere is enough room in the suit for it.

Remember, the suit is NOT supposed to "feel right" when you are standing up. They are cut for the riding position, not walking aroun in. When you put one on and it feels tight in the crotch, it's supposed to. Put it on and sit on a bike leaned over. That is where you will find if it fits right or not.
Krazy Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
jpaolo
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 06 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Again View Post
Obviously you're looking to buy off the rack. W

That bein said, you should absolutely be trying them on before you buy. Every manufacturer tends to be slightly different from the last, and even each manufacturer may be different for each style suit.

As for a back protector...yes, you want one. Whether as part of the suit (mine was custom made with one in it), or to be worn underneath. You'll want to make sure tere is enough room in the suit for it.

Remember, the suit is NOT supposed to "feel right" when you are standing up. They are cut for the riding position, not walking aroun in. When you put one on and it feels tight in the crotch, it's supposed to. Put it on and sit on a bike leaned over. That is where you will find if it fits right or not.

Thanks for the reply. Its exactly the answer I'm looking for. I will get a suit bigger than 36. I'm sure 38 will give me enough room to add back protector. Since 36 is comfy enough I'll get a size bigger so i have enough room to I add extra protection
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

you for sure should get a back protector. no question about it. I have SYED leathers custom fit my suits, and they add velcro patches to the inside of the suit and my back protector.. this way the back protector is in there. One less thing to do every time i put the suit on.
moto liberty ells the taichi "windstopper" inner suit https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_det...p?Prod_ID=1563 that is awesome for those chilly morning rides. We have to have perforated suits here in FL but we do get a few cold days. That windstopper inner liner is awesome. I use the Taichi mowas inner liner too. https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_det...p?Prod_ID=1561

the suits should fit pretty snug around the arm/leg but not so much it is uncomfortable. if it's too loose, the protection could roll in a crash and not be where it's supposed to be.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

You definitely want it tight as opposed to loose. The idea is that the suit acts as a layer of thick skin. If it rolls while sliding you can acquire worse abrasions than if the suit was tight. As mentioned it should not be uncomfortable and the seams shouldn't be busting out, but snug is ok..
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Gundamzeppelin
Tons of juice. Crazyjuice

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
You definitely want it tight as opposed to loose. The idea is that the suit acts as a layer of thick skin. If it rolls while sliding you can acquire worse abrasions than if the suit was tight. As mentioned it should not be uncomfortable and the seams shouldn't be busting out, but snug is ok..
I'd say snug is a better word, I had a tight Alpinestars size 40 suit, I pulled muscles in that damn thing. Got an RS-tai Chi size 40 fitment was perfect.

Also O/P I'd suggest checking out a different suit company for off the rack.
Like Dianese, Rs-Tai Chi, Sidi, Held..ect names just off the top of my head.
Also A* uses drum dyed leather, I'm not a fan of drum dye.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack

Last edited by Gundamzeppelin; 11-13-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Gundamzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement