horrible rider. - Page 5 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: horrible rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefar6 View Post
the tires were honestly bought because i was at the track, and had nothing left on my rear slipping around, and the vendor had a good special going on them.

The rear is sticking real good but im not liking the front.

Every tire ive run before in the expert group has been UK ntec d211gp
well.. there ya go. uk ntec..great tire. front us spec ? sucks in comparison. those "deals" sometimes come back to haunt you. I applaud the fact you decided to buy a new tire vs. keep riding on worn, but those tires will not give you the same grip level.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #42
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Next chance I get I'll post pics and the differences between the uk an us front.

No comparison at all. NONE. The AMA tires are on the bottom of my list of tires to consider. I've got two full sets with 1 race on each and wont even sell em to my customers. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #43
narve00
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6

I have no direct experience.

But the 209 front seems to be universally hated. Many comments about unexpected letting go.
narve00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

well im glad my track day vendor informed me of that...

when i was looking for a set i was informed that these would be just like the ntec i was coming off, grip wise.

live and learn, atleast the biggest damage was the subframe getting snapped again.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #45
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

I don't think the AMA GPA spec tires are all that bad. Not the best grip in the world, but they give you some good warning and feedback. Not as good as a set of Pirrelli super corsa's, but more predictable. At least in my experience with them.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #46
ziklon135
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

wow I just had the same issue and still trying to figure out what happened but learning great tips from everyone and +1 power cup is amazing! tire
ziklon135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #47
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
I don't think the AMA GPA spec tires are all that bad. Not the best grip in the world, but they give you some good warning and feedback. Not as good as a set of Pirrelli super corsa's, but more predictable. At least in my experience with them.
yea, they suck compared to many other tires. especially compared to the uk ntec. You even state "not the best grip in the world".. if at a track day pace you are already noticing the difference, how do you think it is for someone going at an expert pace? There are better tires out there.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #48
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

The uk ntec's are the bizz for sure. I couldn't get them to cut loose on me, but at $500 a set its a bit much to be burning up at trackdays. I'm not too slow either and would love to run on them all the time.. I find it a little more practical to run on lower end tires and save the money for more track days. Now when I race, cost is no object.......
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #49
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
The uk ntec's are the bizz for sure. I couldn't get them to cut loose on me, but at $500 a set its a bit much to be burning up at trackdays. I'm not too slow either and would love to run on them all the time.. I find it a little more practical to run on lower end tires and save the money for more track days. Now when I race, cost is no object.......
try ONE set of the power CUP michelins. It's just a set of tires, you will have to buy more regardless you will save money, and go fast. there is a "C" rear michelin cup that will have a bit harder side compound than the "A" -soft, or "B" - medium so it should last longer for trackdays (but is still a full on competition tire).

The pirelli race compounds are very good too, racers are goin fast on those as well. but will have a different "feel" especially on the front vs. the dunlop or michlin (pirelli is a fairly soft carcass where the dunlop and michelin fronts are pretty firm carcass tires) I'm pretty sure those uk ntec's are more than $500 a set too aren't they?

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-13-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #50
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

I have been able to snag the Ntec's for around $500 in the past. Shipping adds more. Not sure what they are going for recently. Been a couple years since I've ran them.

The new Miche's are pretty good? I recently tried a set of the Pirrelli super bike track day tires. Not happy with them. They have too little grip, but they have lasted three track days @ middle of A group pace!!! Need a set that will last and have grip. Perhaps the Miche's will do the trick......