» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
LittleMeanGreenMachine
Life is best beyond 10k

Bike: 2008 Honda CBR600RR
Job Switching

Hey guys,

I know it's been a while since I've been around. I've been busy as hell at work and I've been focusing on work.

My job is extremely stressful. My boss is a very obsessive micro-manager and nothing is ever done to make her happy. I've tried talking to her, but it just turns into a list of ways of how I'm not fulfilling her requirements. But when I talk to my more direct supervisors, I'm doing fine.

It's gotten to the point that I had an emotional meltdown last week. Even on the weekends, my mind goes to the topic of work and I'm filled with anxiety and stress. I've always been really good at separating work from life, but this job has ruined that. I always used to be the "good employee" at work, too.

I'd like to switch to another position in the company. I've been at my current position for 9 months. I'm wondering how badly does this look to a new manager? What kind of explanations can I give for moving on so soon? Especially if I apply for the same job -- just in another department? I like what I do, I just don't like who I do it for.

Does the new and old manager "talk" if you attempt to switch to a new position? This company is HUGE (20k+ employees!), so I doubt they can talk, but I worry...

Any advice?

Quote:
"Multiple track days are needed every 12 month period to keep performance of the nut between bars and seat within an acceptable range. Failure to do so could result in a loss of talent in the nut. Crashing, "squidding it up" and illusions of awesomeness could occur.".
LittleMeanGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Job Switching

Any large company gives internal job opportunities to their current employees first. They also post them internally first.

Something I was taught "You don't and WON'T always like everyone you work with. Get used to it."

I'm sure your situation is as bad as you say, so it's a different thing.

But what is "supposed" to happen in this situation is you goto HR. When you goto HR, you ask if there's other openings within the company you can apply for. This is a very mellow way of trying to make a move.

Then if nothing comes about from it, you may have to talk to HR and become an office "snitch". Everyone talks, and offices are ALL politics. Burn bridges now, and this broad may know the other managers department heads, etc and blackball you. And even tho HR people aren't supposed to say shit to anyone about what you talk to them about, they are there as mediators. So what'll end up happening is they will talk to your manager now to mediate or mitigate this problem. That's gonna put you another half mile up shit's creek Nancy. Cause now you've REALLY made her look bad and your life will get worse and worse.

So I suggest trying to see if there's openings to apply to so that you can be proactive and have it look like you're eager to advance your career path there and with them vs. any other option.

I'm sorry to hear this person sucks so royally. Hang in there. Every job will be stressful and there will always be these people you need to deal with, learn to work around and work with in the future. You're not gonna find the perfect job out there ever. Keep it in mind, ya know. You've been bouncing around quite a bit job-wise so way to stick this one out so far. But you also need long term dedication showing advancement on your resume and this large place could be the ticket.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
dneidFIST
I get lost on purpose

Bike: 2012 Anniversary Edition

Human Resources should be able to help point you in the right direction here. Calling or visiting them in person about your concerns would probably be your safest bet. I am personally reluctant to put anything in writing until necessary, but putting something in writing can also be VERY useful. Call them up and see what they have to say. Companies don't become as large as the one you work for without having measures in place to protect people like you.
dneidFIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
LittleMeanGreenMachine
Life is best beyond 10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Any large company gives internal job opportunities to their current employees first. They also post them internally first.

Something I was taught "You don't and WON'T always like everyone you work with. Get used to it."

I'm sure your situation is as bad as you say, so it's a different thing.

But what is "supposed" to happen in this situation is you goto HR. When you goto HR, you ask if there's other openings within the company you can apply for. This is a very mellow way of trying to make a move.

Then if nothing comes about from it, you may have to talk to HR and become an office "snitch". Everyone talks, and offices are ALL politics. Burn bridges now, and this broad may know the other managers department heads, etc and blackball you. And even tho HR people aren't supposed to say shit to anyone about what you talk to them about, they are there as mediators. So what'll end up happening is they will talk to your manager now to mediate or mitigate this problem. That's gonna put you another half mile up shit's creek Nancy. Cause now you've REALLY made her look bad and your life will get worse and worse.

So I suggest trying to see if there's openings to apply to so that you can be proactive and have it look like you're eager to advance your career path there and with them vs. any other option.

I'm sorry to hear this person sucks so royally. Hang in there. Every job will be stressful and there will always be these people you need to deal with, learn to work around and work with in the future. You're not gonna find the perfect job out there ever. Keep it in mind, ya know. You've been bouncing around quite a bit job-wise so way to stick this one out so far. But you also need long term dedication showing advancement on your resume and this large place could be the ticket.
Hey Smokey,

I am fully aware that I may not get along with or like everyone that I work with. I can manage that. It's fine. But this is insane. I've heard from others that turnover in this department was very high because of my boss. All they told me when I started was that she's crazy. Now I see why. Everyone told me AFTER I hired in all of this crazy stuff.

HR has a whole website set up to look at other postings. So I don't think they can offer much personalized help. They have help to look over your resume and such. They WANT you to move up.

I'm just concerned if I'll look poor after wanting to move up after only 9 months? And what kind of nice explanations can I give? If the jobs are different, it's easy to say, "Oh, I really love XYZ. So when I saw this I was really interested." But if it's the same position? I dunno....

I WANT to stay in this company. The company is great. I just want to move around within the company and I want to make sure my current boss won't hear anything from anyone else if I start looking out for new positions.

Quote:
"Multiple track days are needed every 12 month period to keep performance of the nut between bars and seat within an acceptable range. Failure to do so could result in a loss of talent in the nut. Crashing, "squidding it up" and illusions of awesomeness could occur.".
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Rriggs92
Yamaha R6

Bike: 07 r6
Who cares what she thinks. My team leader was like that. If it wasn't her way or her idea it wasn't right, she also didn't do shot all day and the company noticed and pulled the job from her

You need to talk to hr and tell them what's going on not just put in for a transfer you don't need a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Rriggs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMeanGreenMachine View Post
Any advice?
ignore her. do your job as best you can.

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Dang Nancy.

You're in between a rock and a hard place. Try to stick it out and try for the other jobs. If she's that much of a problem, HR will know shes a problem... So I dunno. I personally wouldn't ever goto HR over it cause she WILL find out and it will make things much worse.

Why don't you personally ask the other manager about the position they offer. Maybe they can see your initiative and appreciate it and pull you to their team.

You're on egg shells with this one.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Dang Nancy.

You're in between a rock and a hard place. Try to stick it out and try for the other jobs. If she's that much of a problem, HR will know shes a problem... So I dunno. I personally wouldn't ever goto HR over it cause she WILL find out and it will make things much worse.

Why don't you personally ask the other manager about the position they offer. Maybe they can see your initiative and appreciate it and pull you to their team.

This should work

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
LittleMeanGreenMachine
Life is best beyond 10k

Quote:
Dang Nancy.

HR knows about the issues with my boss. But she consistently brings in big grants ($$), so they won't do anything about it.

I don't plan on following the grievance protocol. I'm just looking for an all-out switch. I am looking into transfers and will contact the manager there if I can.

I'm just looking for explanations I can tell a hiring manager if they question why I've only been there 9 months and am already looking to switch.

Oh, and Robb: I try to ignore her. I try to just do my work and not let her get to me. It's not working. Either I give too many fcuks to completely not let her get to me, or her bombardment of negativity and craziness is just too much for me to ignore.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Tell them you would be more productive with a change of departments.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement