02 ZX6R opinions. Good buy or bad? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
ErikTaylor
Dont be so picky. I wasnt

Bike: 06 R1
Send a message via AIM to ErikTaylor
02 ZX6R opinions. Good buy or bad?

I thought about purchasing this as a beginners track bike, mainly because of the price. It has 19K and is in perfect running shape. However there is no title. Apparently it was salvaged with a new frame that doesn't have a VIN. Good for a track bike or stay away due to no title? He only wants 1K for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
So your question was what should you use as an indicator of the oil level instead of the thing that exists solely to indicate the level of oil?
R6- Gone
R1 Now
ErikTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
2004R6Rider
Ride Blue

Re: 02 ZX6R opinions. Good buy or bad?

It's not a bad deal, but just know that when you do buy it, it will be far from track ready.

You'll need to fully inspect the bike from top to bottom to make sure no components are damaged. I guarantee you the tires won't be good for the track, and if it's a 2002 you'll probably have to do a bit of work to the brakes (new pads and lines).

Plan ahead for the long term.. are you SURE you never want this bike on the road? With NO title at all, it's unlikely you'll be able to get this thing legal ever again. Also consider that it might be difficult to sell.

Just make sure you overlook the entire bike before you buy it. Look for cracks in the subframe and anything else that looks out of place. You don't want to end up on a half-assed bike at 140 mph on the track.
2004R6Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Xtina
Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Bike: '13 Ninja 300, '07 Gix600

I bought an untitled 07 Gixxer the same as u described. There's no way I was going to put it on the street, the wiring for lights is gone and it would cost too much to street legal. It's my dedicated track bike and I love it. For the price you describe it sounds like a good deal. check it over like others have said and budget for brakes, lines, tires, and a potential master cylinder rebuild (which is like $30 in parts). If you are just starting out it sounds like a good deal to me.
2009 R6 -sold

SOAR #818
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
tdoss1980
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 raven

Idk for the time and effort to take and put it to track duty correctly, im sure there is something better suited or an already done track bike for sale.
2005 R6, Motodynamic Sequential Signals, Flush Smoke Front Turns, 6k Hid, Devil Racer Carbon Highmount Ceramic Coated Black, Ohlins Steering Dampener, Motovation No Cut Frame Sliders and Bar End Sliders, ASV Levers, Vortex Black Rearsets, K&N Air Filter, Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer, Superflare Vstacks, Graves Slide Stops, Graves Smog Block Offs, -1 520 Conversion with Driven Sprockets and DID Chain, Goodridge Shadow Brake Lines, Brembo CNC Calipers with Vesrah RJL Pads, Brembo 19x20 Master Cylinder, Zero Gravity Windscreen, Stompgrip Tank Pads, Gilles Chain adjusters with race lifters, NRC Powdercoated Racing Covers, HINSON SLIPPER CLUTCH, Vented Brakes Cooling System, Racetech Internals Front and Rear with Michelin Power Super Sports holding it to the road
tdoss1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

If it's track day only machine you can't beat it. It would require no work to make it a track machine if you decide to leave it stock. If you want to go with race plastics and the whole nine, then yeah it will cost you. I'm not a fan of older machines that are carbed, but at that price it's not a bad deal.

However I think for a couple K more you can get a more modern machine that is a little more prepped. I have my bike up for sale and I'm asking $3,500. Mine is an 05 and is totally prepped minus safety wiring. There are deals out there and if you look a little more you may find one.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
ErikTaylor
Dont be so picky. I wasnt

Bike: 06 R1
Send a message via AIM to ErikTaylor
Thanks for the info guys. Still debating...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
So your question was what should you use as an indicator of the oil level instead of the thing that exists solely to indicate the level of oil?
R6- Gone
R1 Now
ErikTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement