removing rear brakes : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > Racing and Stunt Discussion > Drag Race Section

Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
jared r6
I eat my R6

Bike: r6 w/turbo R1 engine O_o
removing rear brakes

I would like to remove my rear brake rotor, calipers, and brake lines to save weight for drag racing. My goal for next summer is to get into the 9s and i am in the high 10s right now. I plan on adding a PCIII, quickshifter, 520 conversion -1/+0, lowering the front end, and practicing launching. I have only used the rear brakes to occasionally lock up the rear wheel for fun, so i thought this would be a good mod for me to lose rotating and unsprung weight. Has anyone done this before? Do you think this would be a good mod for me?
smoke flush mount signals
fender eliminater kit
lowered 3"
M4 exhaust
k&n air intake
jared r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
shnormo
Got street appeal?

Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Send a message via AIM to shnormo
Re: removing rear brakes

It is a great idea. Won't pass tech and less stopping power going faster. To drop a whole 1 second you're going to need a lot more power. Power needs grow exponentially to start dropping seconds off, or for acceleration past the 1/8 mile. So let's sacrifice safety for a 1/10 of a second in reality

Look at your time slips. 1/8 mile I'm running about 110 MPH and finishing the 1/4 mile at 127MPH

Last edited by shnormo; 11-13-2012 at 05:28 AM.
shnormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
natedogg624
I eat my R6

you'd be better off investing in lightweight wheels.
Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
natedogg624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
jared r6
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnormo View Post
It is a great idea. Won't pass tech and less stopping power going faster. To drop a whole 1 second you're going to need a lot more power. Power needs grow exponentially to start dropping seconds off, or for acceleration past the 1/8 mile. So let's sacrifice safety for a 1/10 of a second in reality

Look at your time slips. 1/8 mile I'm running about 110 MPH and finishing the 1/4 mile at 127MPH
hey dumbass, i don't use it anyway so stopping power will be the same. sacrifice safety? there is another 1/4 mile to slow down AFTER i turn off the track right now, so i don't think it will matter at all. I would rather have a tenth of a second then something i never use. how else can you get better times for free? and don't say driver mod...i already weigh 120lbs and will practice my launches. and dropping 1 second doesn't require me to add power exponentially. a quickshifter will cut off a few tenths from my time because i won't have to let off the gas. Going from 530 to a 520 and -1 front will cut off a few tenths because of less rotating weight and more accelleration. I used gearingcommander.com to calculate what gearing i should use because right now, i'm just shifting into 4th gear before the end of the track and a -1 front sprocket will allow me to be at the top of 4th at the end and will still allow me to ride on the highway. My track doesn't require rear brakes so that won't be an issue either.
fender eliminater kit
lowered 3"
M4 exhaust
k&n air intake
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Take it off. Lose the front brakes while you're at it!

Parachute FTW!
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

In for the crash videos!

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

1. In before Steph.
2. You're clueless OP. What if your front brakes fail or oil gets on em or something like that???
3. Why wouldn't you just have the rotor machined, or pickup the ridiculous one Jamie (toysareforboys) is posting a pic of every single chance he gets? Even without going overboard, I dropped 12 ounces off my rotor IIRC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared r6 View Post
hey dumbass, i don't use it anyway so stopping power will be the same. sacrifice safety? there is another 1/4 mile to slow down AFTER i turn off the track right now, so i don't think it will matter at all. I would rather have a tenth of a second then something i never use. how else can you get better times for free? and don't say driver mod...i already weigh 120lbs and will practice my launches. and dropping 1 second doesn't require me to add power exponentially. a quickshifter will cut off a few tenths from my time because i won't have to let off the gas. Going from 530 to a 520 and -1 front will cut off a few tenths because of less rotating weight and more accelleration. I used gearingcommander.com to calculate what gearing i should use because right now, i'm just shifting into 4th gear before the end of the track and a -1 front sprocket will allow me to be at the top of 4th at the end and will still allow me to ride on the highway. My track doesn't require rear brakes so that won't be an issue either.
4. You're ridiculous. TENTHS don't come like that buddy. You don't drop tenths by dropping a tooth or changing your sprocket size or the QS. If you drop tenths with a quick shifter, you BLOW at shifting. It still takes 55-100ms for the QS to shift.

Now, air shifters are what drag racers really use. Get it straight. Make a drag bike or a street bike.

I've done the same shit. All I wanted was a tenth more a tenth or two more, oh, maybe if I change my intake I'll hit 12's.. What about slicks? Oh, I broke a motor mount in my driveway.. OK, now I need a driveshaft loop.. OK, NP...

Bottom line is your numbers are all off. You're not gonna drop even close to as much time as you are exclaiming in your post.

Stretch the bike, bigger tire, grabbier clutch, strap and lower the front, and now you'll drop TENTHS....

What's your 60 foot times and trap speed?????????????

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
jared r6
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Take it off. Lose the front brakes while you're at it!

Parachute FTW!
hahaha

I was reading weight loss and performance threads and started dreaming i guess...I was just looking for better 1/4 mile times when I go to the drag strip and realize there are better ways to lower my ET.
fender eliminater kit
lowered 3"
M4 exhaust
k&n air intake
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

Oh good, he's from Wisconsin.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
jared r6
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
1. In before Steph.
2. You're clueless OP. What if your front brakes fail or oil gets on em or something like that???
3. Why wouldn't you just have the rotor machined, or pickup the ridiculous one Jamie (toysareforboys) is posting a pic of every single chance he gets? Even without going overboard, I dropped 12 ounces off my rotor IIRC...

4. You're ridiculous. TENTHS don't come like that buddy. You don't drop tenths by dropping a tooth or changing your sprocket size or the QS. If you drop tenths with a quick shifter, you BLOW at shifting. It still takes 55-100ms for the QS to shift.

Now, air shifters are what drag racers really use. Get it straight. Make a drag bike or a street bike.

I've done the same shit. All I wanted was a tenth more a tenth or two more, oh, maybe if I change my intake I'll hit 12's.. What about slicks? Oh, I broke a motor mount in my driveway.. OK, now I need a driveshaft loop.. OK, NP...

Bottom line is your numbers are all off. You're not gonna drop even close to as much time as you are exclaiming in your post.

Stretch the bike, bigger tire, grabbier clutch, strap and lower the front, and now you'll drop TENTHS....

What's your 60 foot times and trap speed?????????????
Just out of curiosity, how will a bigger tire help me? i know that all a wide tire does is dissipate heat better and the compound is what determines traction. Are you talking about a larger sidewall with a soft compound or just the height/width of the tire?
fender eliminater kit
lowered 3"
M4 exhaust
k&n air intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement