How to prevent the 2nd gear from going bad? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
TampaYZFR6twoK2
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 02 Yzf R6
How to prevent the 2nd gear from going bad?

Ok so I am new to this forum..... Just signed up tonight. And I know you all are tired of hearing about the 2nd gear curse on the 99-02 r6's and r1's, but I have been doing some research and havent found a solid answer on how to prevent the 2nd gear from going bad. I have owned a 99 R6 and I now have a 2002 r6. And luckily out of the 6 months I owned the 99 I had no problems with the 2nd gear.... And now I have a 02 that runs awesome!! And I want to keep it that way. So are there any idea's as to preventing the 2nd gear from going bad... Or is it just something that is not a matter of if it is going to happen.... just a matter of when?
TampaYZFR6twoK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Shush319
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: 01' CLE R6, 88' GSXR 750
Re: How to prevent the 2nd gear from going bad?

How many miles on it? I've changed my whole tranny to one from a 05', drops right in. Some get lucky and it doesn't happen to them, but most I've read about and seen personally have it eventually fail.

When they went FI in 03' they also fixed the issue by switching to 5 dogs instead of 3, and if you look at them close enough they are slightly back cut so when you nail the gas, they tend to want to pull together rather than slip apart.

CCS Rookie 2014
Shush319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
TampaYZFR6twoK2
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shush319 View Post
How many miles on it? I've changed my whole tranny to one from a 05', drops right in. Some get lucky and it doesn't happen to them, but most I've read about and seen personally have it eventually fail.

When they went FI in 03' they also fixed the issue by switching to 5 dogs instead of 3, and if you look at them close enough they are slightly back cut so when you nail the gas, they tend to want to pull together rather than slip apart.
It has 28,000 on it. Some told me just do not clutch it up in 2nd gear... Or shift from 2nd to nuetral..... Which I don't know why that would make a difference, and also just don't dog it out in 2nd gear. I mean if I do all of this will it delay the inevitable? And how hard is it to swap the tranny? I heard the tranny and engine are one whole unit?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Shush319

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaYZFR6twoK2 View Post
It has 28,000 on it. Some told me just do not clutch it up in 2nd gear... Or shift from 2nd to nuetral..... Which I don't know why that would make a difference, and also just don't dog it out in 2nd gear. I mean if I do all of this will it delay the inevitable? And how hard is it to swap the tranny? I heard the tranny and engine are one whole unit?
Down shifting isn't going to affect it. When it starts to go, you will feel what I can only explain as a surging feeling when on the gas in 2nd, starts around 8-9k rpms. It gradually becomes more frequent (and violent) until eventually you can't get on the gas at all in 2nd gear.

28k, and it isn't doing it yet..... Hmmm, do you have any history on it from previous owner/s? Maybe it has already been fixed? It usually starts around 15-18k, some report earlier, some later. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. If it starts, just shift from 1st to 3rd til you can fix it. I rode like that for 5-6 months before I fixed mine.

Its really not that hard to fix if you have some mechanical experience. you have to pull the motor and split the case halves, top end doesn't have to come off/apart just the lower crank case.

CCS Rookie 2014
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
TampaYZFR6twoK2
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Down shifting isn't going to affect it. When it starts to go, you will feel what I can only explain as a surging feeling when on the gas in 2nd, starts around 8-9k rpms. It gradually becomes more frequent (and violent) until eventually you can't get on the gas at all in 2nd gear.

28k, and it isn't doing it yet..... Hmmm, do you have any history on it from previous owner/s? Maybe it has already been fixed? It usually starts around 15-18k, some report earlier, some later. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. If it starts, just shift from 1st to 3rd til you can fix it. I rode like that for 5-6 months before I fixed mine.

Its really not that hard to fix if you have some mechanical experience. you have to pull the motor and split the case halves, top end doesn't have to come off/apart just the lower crank case.
The kid I bought it from only had the bike for 6 months so ya I dont have any history on the bike.... But it has no hesitation at all in second gear. It shifts smoothly and I can go past 10k rpm's with ease and it feels very smooth. I kept up with my best friend's 04 ZX10r and it was in 2nd and 3rd gear but of course after 3rd he just pulled away from me like I was sitting still. But I love this bike the way it handles and I was thinking of selling it just because I do not want to dish out $1200-$1500 on fixing the 2nd gear.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Shush319

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaYZFR6twoK2 View Post
The kid I bought it from only had the bike for 6 months so ya I dont have any history on the bike.... But it has no hesitation at all in second gear. It shifts smoothly and I can go past 10k rpm's with ease and it feels very smooth. I kept up with my best friend's 04 ZX10r and it was in 2nd and 3rd gear but of course after 3rd he just pulled away from me like I was sitting still. But I love this bike the way it handles and I was thinking of selling it just because I do not want to dish out $1200-$1500 on fixing the 2nd gear.
I got a whole 2nd gen trans off ebay for $100 and fixed mine myself. Its really not that hard, you just need tools and patience, and some mechanical skills.

I had to fix the trans in my old 600r 2 times (was bad when I got the bike, then the second broke because of a crash). The whole top end had to come off to take that one apart, that was a real PITA, this...... not so bad.

CCS Rookie 2014

Last edited by Shush319; 11-13-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
TampaYZFR6twoK2
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
I got a whole 2nd gen trans off ebay for $100 and fixed mine myself. Its really not that hard, you just need tools and patience, and some mechanical skills.
Ok cool.... Hopefully I wont need to go thru all of that. Hopefully this bike will last me a long time without too many problems. Thanks for the advice and help. Im going to read and research on how to replace the tranny just in case. Thanks again!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
Locci
Go fast or die slow.

Bike: R6 08 racer

Just make proper full motion shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sloppy shifts is what wears down the gears and shiftforks.

Downshift also has some effect on wear and tear, if the gears don't get to fully engage.
Locci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

You've gotta make sure you read the bike a story every night before bed... Otherwise your tranny will go to shit in a few thousand miles.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
shnormo
Got street appeal?

Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Send a message via AIM to shnormo

Before the trans swap was known, people would take out the stock trans and get the gears undercut. If it's coming out anyways, get an updated newer trans used. Cheapest and best route
shnormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement