OEM tires really that shiddy?/1st time down : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Glock21sf_Saiga12
I hate bike thieves

Bike: Sexy Silver 08 R6(stolen)
OEM tires really that shiddy?/1st time down

This morning, right after I pulled out of my apartments, I tried to make a U turn at maybe 15ish mph. The rear slipped out, then FCUK! I was on my ass wondering what happened. The road was dry and I was going pretty slow.. Are the OEM tires really that shiddy? They are original but have just under 4k mi. Is it the tires? The age of them? Were they just too cold? I would just like a little better understanding of what may have caused that, especially cause I'm a fairly new rider
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Glock21sf_Saiga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: OEM tires really that shiddy?/1st time down

They aren't dangerous bad or anything but just about anything is better. More than likely it was just from being cold. There will probably be some great tire deals during the off season so you might want to just replace them.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Yes, they are shitty. The recommended pressure on the swingarm is WAY too much air. Every single time I hit the gas mid turn in lower temps the back walked and skated all over. They are terrible. Plus, if they are original, they are also 5 years old bro.

Ditch em fast bro. I have a decent hook on tires if you have anything in particular in mind.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Glock21sf_Saiga12
I hate bike thieves

Bike: Sexy Silver 08 R6(stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Yes, they are shitty. The recommended pressure on the swingarm is WAY too much air. Every single time I hit the gas mid turn in lower temps the back walked and skated all over. They are terrible. Plus, if they are original, they are also 5 years old bro.

Ditch em fast bro. I have a decent hook on tires if you have anything in particular in mind.
I'll be sending you a PM after I do a little more research on tires. Guess my ECU flash will have to wait Unless the boss comes through with a fat bonus
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Glock21sf_Saiga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock21sf_Saiga12 View Post
I'll be sending you a PM after I do a little more research on tires. Guess my ECU flash will have to wait Unless the boss comes through with a fat bonus
Tires > flash

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Gundamzeppelin
Tons of juice. Crazyjuice

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter

Quote:

Some would disagree the stock tires aren't that bad, but I personally feel they are total trash even when Hot! Granted when hot they have way more grip than warm & obviously cold. But those dirty bitches would try to step out any chance they could & using rear brake on a hot stock tire is dangerous unless you know what you are doing.

Quote:
Tires > flash

This yet again. New tries will change the dynamic of the bike so much you will think it's a different machine all together. I'd Worry about a flash after tires.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Gundamzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Rriggs92
Yamaha R6

Bike: 07 r6
I couldn't tell you about stock tires since iv never had em but I have Pirelli tires now and the only time iv had a problem is when I took a corner a little fast and the tires were still cold. I scooted a little but nothing major. When warmed up iv been hitting corners as much as I can in my area and they do awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Rriggs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
05-R6-911
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 05' R6 Raven

All stock tires are shitty AGREED!! Michelin tires are the way to go js ive never had any problems. But i have had the pirelli diablos and they werent that good. They got flat spots quick.
05-R6-911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

stock street tires are designed to street use, no warmers, and all kinds of conditions.. and they have to wear more than 1500 miles like some softer "sport" tires will.

but come on guys, if you crash doing 15 mph doing a u-turn, the rider is somewhat to blame The rear tire doesn't spin any faster than the throttle tells it to go. And there could have been sand or something on the pavement there too.

Houston, I would just put it up to one of the hazards of two wheel riding. A lesson learned. Never take anything for granted cause as you found out, even just leaving the parking lot can sometimes bite you.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-14-2012 at 07:57 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
stock street tires are designed to street use, no warmers, and all kinds of conditions.. and they have to wear more than 1500 miles like some softer "sport" tires will.

but come on guys, if you crash doing 15 mph doing a u-turn, the rider is somewhat to blame The rear tire doesn't spin any faster than the throttle tells it to go. And there could have been sand or something on the pavement there too.

Houston, I would just put it up to one of the hazards of two wheel riding. A lesson learned. Never take anything for granted cause as you found out, even just leaving the parking lot can sometimes bite you.
I have crashed u-turning before. It sucked...

It's so fcuking tight from the brembo to the fairing stay on the R6!!!!! So when it slammed the front, the bish just fell and pinned me for a second..

But stock tires are garbage. But they shouldn't hinder your u-turn capabilities like Greg has pointed out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement