HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R
RESOLVED! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

Okay, so I have searched throughout the forums, and searched Google as well and I am at a loss now. Here is my issue:
  • Bike was running great
  • Went to start one morning and after 15 seconds at idle, it died (no weird noise, nothing, it just died)
  • Attempted to re-start, cranked about 10 times and I had to blip the throttle to get it flashed
  • Once flashed, I kept the revs at 3000 for ~10 seconds and let go and the bike died again
  • This is continuous until the bike reaches ~50 degrees celcius, when it will settle in and idle on its own
  • Does it every time I start it now, or well, attempt to start it that is

About the bike:
  • It is an 06, stock exhaust no changes.
  • Air filter and spark plugs replaced in July 2012
  • oil and filter changed about a month ago (Oct 2012)
  • Only 200km on the oil and about 1000km since plugs were changed.
  • The battery is new and I have it on a trickle charger when not riding for extended periods of time (in the CDN military and I go away a lot)
  • Bike has 29000Km on it and the TPS has never been adjusted, nor the valves.

Once its warmed up, I have no issues at all, even in stop and go traffic, it is just the brutal start. Oh and I am running some sea foam through it right now, no change yet (~100km since I put it in).

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Having read similar problems online, it seems like most shops have extreme difficulty narrowing down this sort of issue. Thanks very much for any helps guys and girls, please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

Last edited by Pipelinz; 02-22-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Update
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Possibly valves or tps needs cleaning

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Re: HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

Is there any way to indicate which one might be the potential culprit? Just curious if i can do anything to narrow it down a bit. Thank you for your response.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Yea I'm thinking valve clearance is getting smaller
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
bryan j
pin it to win it

Well cleaning the tps is easier so I'd try that first.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Oh okay, i was actually didn't think of just cleaning, i thought it had to get synced , I'll try that for sure, thanks. See if i can find a how-to in the forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
bryan j
pin it to win it

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97305

This may help, or search for the free downloadable manual

Body:

Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

if the valves were getting tight, it would have been getting steadily worse the last few times you have ridden it. The fact you indicate the bike sits for extended periods of time points more to a fuel issue.. as in bad fuel. Google "ethanol, fuel injectors".. ethanol is bad stuff. You are north of the border, so if you have ethanol in your gas, and the gas has been in the tank a good while (more than 3-4 months) get it out and try a fresh tank.
When you DO store the bike, store with a full tank and use your favorite fuel stabilizer as directed. A not full tank will form condensation, and that water does not mix. it settles to the bottom as the fuel breaks down, unlike fuel from a few years ago that had mtbe as a octane booster. It mixed with a small amount of water much better and you could get away with a machine sitting for up to a year sometimes without issue. You are running seafoam now, but that won't help fuel that has already phase separated (that is what occurs with e10 fuel or any fuel with a % of ethanol).

this may not be your problem, but is worth a try along with the other suggestions. At 29,000 it's at least time to check the valve clearances. that is an easy job to be honest. adjusting them is more difficult.
Also run your diagnostic mode and check throttle positions. you will need a manual to check the specs for each value that reads out on the dash in daig mode.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Thanks very much, that thread helped for the actual cleaning, but the 06 TPS is in a complete different location. I downloaded the Service Manual and have a breakdown of where to find the TPS on the 06 (FYI, its kind of a bitch to get at compared to the 03-05).

I am assuming I need to clean the TPS for the throttle valves and the TPS for the throttle cable pulley. Will keep you posted on how things progress, I'm going to tackle it when I get home from work tonight.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
if the valves were getting tight, it would have been getting steadily worse the last few times you have ridden it. The fact you indicate the bike sits for extended periods of time points more to a fuel issue.. as in bad fuel. Google "ethanol, fuel injectors".. ethanol is bad stuff. You are north of the border, so if you have ethanol in your gas, and the gas has been in the tank a good while (more than 3-4 months) get it out and try a fresh tank.
When you DO store the bike, store with a full tank and use your favorite fuel stabilizer as directed. A not full tank will form condensation, and that water does not mix. it settles to the bottom as the fuel breaks down, unlike fuel from a few years ago that had mtbe as a octane booster. It mixed with a small amount of water much better and you could get away with a machine sitting for up to a year sometimes without issue. You are running seafoam now, but that won't help fuel that has already phase separated (that is what occurs with e10 fuel or any fuel with a % of ethanol).

this may not be your problem, but is worth a try along with the other suggestions. At 29,000 it's at least time to check the valve clearances. that is an easy job to be honest. adjusting them is more difficult.
Also run your diagnostic mode and check throttle positions. you will need a manual to check the specs for each value that reads out on the dash in daig mode.
Thanks very much. The longest the bike has sat is about 4 weeks and even then, I ensure its full; however, I didn't have stabilizer in it, but I think I will drain the tank as you described above anyway, at least then I can potentially eliminate fuel as the issue.

I have read the in-depth how-to on checking Valve clearances, but I think when I get to that stage (after checking and cleaning the TPS) I will let the shop do that for me (we get military discount at my local shop, which helps).

The numbers for the TPS according to the service manual are 12-21 and 97-106, so I will try the diag mode first and write my numbers down, then clean the sensors and see if it changes anything, but from everything I am reading and getting frmo people, it sounds more and more like the valves need adjusting. At least I have a heated garage and beer fridge and I am getting to know my bike intimately.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyones input and help here. Will let you know how it goes tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement