HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

if you have changed spark plugs, you are 15 minutes or less from being able to check valve clearances.

i have posted in other threads some instructions.. search it or download/print/buy a manual. a manual will be THE BEST tool in your box. i assure you.
the valve cover WILL come up and out of the frame. You just need the airbox and any pair valve hoses out of the way (if you still have those). with the ignition access cap off on the right side, use a 12mm to turn the engine over (easier with plugs out) to have the intake lobes point back and exst lobes point forward. it does not have to be precise! just as long as the lobes each time you check (have to roll the motor for each cylinder) are forward or back. that's it!

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R

Well, I think you have convinced me to try it. I have downloaded the service manul and it is awesome, I have a printed copy and an electronic copy saved on my tab for when I do any wrenching on the bike.

I found some great step by step instructions on how to check the valves (probably yours). I guess I just need to buy the spacers for measuring the gap. Just terrified to screw it up and do more damage than good, but I guess if I just take my time I can get through it.

If the TPS cleaning has no effect, I'll sack-up and try checking the valves. Thanks.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
if you have changed spark plugs, you are 15 minutes or less from being able to check valve clearances.

i have posted in other threads some instructions.. search it or download/print/buy a manual. a manual will be THE BEST tool in your box. i assure you.
the valve cover WILL come up and out of the frame. You just need the airbox and any pair valve hoses out of the way (if you still have those). with the ignition access cap off on the right side, use a 12mm to turn the engine over (easier with plugs out) to have the intake lobes point back and exst lobes point forward. it does not have to be precise! just as long as the lobes each time you check (have to roll the motor for each cylinder) are forward or back. that's it!
I've been looking over the service manual for the 05. I have not decided if I want to tackle a valve inspection or not. I'm at about 30k miles now, so it's definitely due. I spoke with a service tech at a local Yamaha dealer, and he was saying I would know when my valves needed adjustment by the bike acting up. Not sure if I trust that logic, but so far she is running perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
Well, I think you have convinced me to try it. I have downloaded the service manul and it is awesome, I have a printed copy and an electronic copy saved on my tab for when I do any wrenching on the bike.

I found some great step by step instructions on how to check the valves (probably yours). I guess I just need to buy the spacers for measuring the gap. Just terrified to screw it up and do more damage than good, but I guess if I just take my time I can get through it.

If the TPS cleaning has no effect, I'll sack-up and try checking the valves. Thanks.
I've found a couple how-to's here on the forums. Could you paste a link to the one you're looking at? I want to see if it's one I've missed.
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

I am sure you have seen this one, it has a good picture breakdown of what you need to do.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r...djustment.html

Good luck.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

you really can't screw anything up CHECKING clearances.. the job goes from a "2" to a "7" when you start pulling cams out. Taking them out? not tough, the danger factor comes in when you don't get the cam sprockets lined up properly. You can damage/ruin the valves or worse (they break off and mess more stuff up).
Checking them is super easy though..
a set of feeler gauges as shown in the 'how to" someone just posted are ideal. need to be long enough to get in there easy, and a slight bend doesn't hurt.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

A guy in my Unit at work, just ran home and grabbed me a set of feeler guages, so I am committed now.....lol.

If the valves are out though, I will take her to my local shop to have them adjusted. I'll just pack everything on the trailer and bring it in to save some shop time tearing everything apart again.

Now I'm just staring at the clock at work waiting to get home and get cracking on this.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
I am sure you have seen this one, it has a good picture breakdown of what you need to do.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r...djustment.html

Good luck.
Thanks! I haven't seen this one. I'm thinking about trying to check mine after the holidays are over. I should have more time and money in case adjustment is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
you really can't screw anything up CHECKING clearances.. the job goes from a "2" to a "7" when you start pulling cams out. Taking them out? not tough, the danger factor comes in when you don't get the cam sprockets lined up properly. You can damage/ruin the valves or worse (they break off and mess more stuff up).
Checking them is super easy though..
a set of feeler gauges as shown in the 'how to" someone just posted are ideal. need to be long enough to get in there easy, and a slight bend doesn't hurt.
Yea, the How-to posted above breaks it down barney style, just how I like it! I can do the inspection, but don't think I would attempt adjusting on my own.

Quote:
If the valves are out though, I will take her to my local shop to have them adjusted. I'll just pack everything on the trailer and bring it in to save some shop time tearing everything apart again.

Think I'll be going on the same plan!
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

I'll let you know how mine goes. Doing the TPS tonight and the check the valves on the weekend if the TPS doesn't clear up my issue.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
OCR6714
1 wheel R6

Bike: 05 R6, 07 R6
This thread got me curious about the actual cost of a valve adjustment and so I called the local SoCal stealership to get a quote as my bike is starting to near 26,000. $500 + 2-3 days of waiting was the quote lol. I will definitely get off my lazy ass and tackle this myself if I fcuk it up can prabably buy an engine for $500 lol
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCR6714 View Post
This thread got me curious about the actual cost of a valve adjustment and so I called the local SoCal stealership to get a quote as my bike is starting to near 26,000. $500 + 2-3 days of waiting was the quote lol. I will definitely get off my lazy ass and tackle this myself if I fcuk it up can prabably buy an engine for $500 lol
Holy crap, my shop quoted me $250-$300, drop off in the morning and pickup in the evening! I would maybe seek a second opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement